IGNORED

SAHD makes album for missions to NZ

dairyfreelife

We will find out some additional ministery opportunities when we get there but here are a few specific things we plan to accomplish while in New Zealand:

I will be sharing the Gospel through my salvation testimony.

We will be teaching young children Bible lessons.

My brother Tyler and I will be ministering in song for a few different groups of people.

I will be giving away free copies of my new ebook “Single Girl†to the women and young ladies.

I will have the opportunity to personally deliver some of the many scarves from the Knit Together in Love project!!!

One-I don't think NZ needs her (or wants her) to minister to them. Two-she's going to be doing jack shit there. My apologies NZ, we try to keep the crazies away from people, but they get these thoughts in their head that they are better than everyone else and need to convince everyone to be as crazy as they are and manage to escape.

oh, and she misspelled ministry, but I'll look over that as a typo this time.

stayathomedaughter.com/2013/05/06/a-mission-trip-to-new-zealand/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband is from New Zealand and we spend part of each year there. I am not really sure who they will be missioning to since most of the country identifies as Anglican, Catholic or Presbyterian

I think you should all donate to my mission trip this summer. I plan to protest the indecency of nakedness in London's Tate Modern, minister to the downtrodden serving staff in Paris' finest eating establishments, bring the grace of Jesus to the sweating masses in St Peter's Basilica and celebrate the glory of creation in a Swiss mountain meadow.

Praise Jesus! Godless first world tourism destinations will be saved by the power of the lord and your cash donations!

I live in NZ and I didn't think people would come here for a mission trip! No offense, but I don't really like Americans coming here and telling us how to live our lives, thank you very much!

I would be curious to know where she is going in NZ though!

My husband is from New Zealand and we spend part of each year there. I am not really sure who they will be missioning to since most of the country identifies as Anglican, Catholic or Presbyterian

1) Those aren't RealChristians.

2) Even those that are, sooooo many aren't really convicted of their own sin and they don't go to church often and when they do it because they think they have to not because they have purposed to bring Jesus into their hearts.

Or so I've been told before. A few years ago, Kelly Bates rote on the Bateses' blog about some friends that went on a missionary trip to England. When questioned on that part, that's the answer Kelly and a few others gave, more or less.

Don't the Botkins hail from New Zealand (and live there part time)? NZ doesn't need to import fundies.

While we are a pretty secular society, there is a growing trend of mega churches, of what my husband calls the 'hand waves, yay Jesus' variety, all about how God loves me and he's so great, a little light in the theology. But big on the anti gay thing.

There are fundies in the form of the exclusive brethren, but they keep to themselves and don't preach to heathens. Destiny Church is most people's idea of a scary cult - they are a prosperity doctrine church who preys on poor people.

No one seems to be against working women (we were the first country to give women sufferage, in 1893) and we ae on the whole a pretty secular, liberal society. We legalised gay marriage a month or two ago.

American style fundies may be politely listened to by a few, but will be laughed st or ignored by most.

How old is this dolt? She'll be "ministering in song" to people and handing out scarves?

WTF is up with these unmarried, ignorant young women telling others how to live, whether it's online, in the US or in NZ?

Aside from all the other crap, I especially like the part about handing out scarves. Because New Zealanders are in dire need of some decent woolen stuff.

Uh sorry what, she wants to come here and minister to whom exactly? While most everyone may not go to church every Sunday, they do identify as Christian come census time. Although I think rising numbers have been ticking atheist or not answering that question.

We had an American Student Life group here at the Uni a few years ago. Very in your face ministering. There were so many complaints that they got banned from campus. It was nice to eat lunch again without randoms wanting to talk to you about Jesus.

Sounds like she is just taking a trip with her grandparents and wants other people to give her money?

Most "mission trips" these youngsters take sound like teen tours with a side of Jesus to me anyway.

How does any young child feel their heart is full of depravity and they need saving?

My heart, even as a young child growing up in a Christian home, has the same corruption and tendencies as an murderer, adulterer, homosexual or thief. Though I may not have committed all of these sins I was guilty of them all.

Really? As a young child I was into picking flowers, playing with kitties, and thinking about all sorts of good things. I have no recall of thinking I was corrupt or a bad person. I had a vague idea that if I died in my sleep I'd go to heaven because every night we prayed Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take.

I can't comprehend the kind of thinking that makes little kids think they are bad people.

We have our share of fundies, we don't need any more thank you very much!

snydersept.blogspot.co.nz These people have just returned to the US (Alabama I believe) after bothering the poor people of some small town up north.

Can it still be considered a missions trip if it's really a temp job?

How does any young child feel their heart is full of depravity and they need saving?

Really? As a young child I was into picking flowers, playing with kitties, and thinking about all sorts of good things. I have no recall of thinking I was corrupt or a bad person. I had a vague idea that if I died in my sleep I'd go to heaven because every night we prayed Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take.

I can't comprehend the kind of thinking that makes little kids think they are bad people.

Oh, I was bad to the bone. Examples of dire sins I am guilty of

-told (both) sisters they were adopted

-cut my hair and my sisters' hair - gave us all bangs (and that was the end of my hair dressing dreams)

-snuck out of bed - ate an entire box of chocolates and then went to tell my mom I felt sick and vomited on my mom

-buried my parent's antique silverware somewhere (not found to this day)

-refused to call my cousins by their given names - gave them nicknames I found to be hilarious - and those names stuck

AND all of this was before I was 5 - perhaps I should go to New Zealand so I might be evangelized by the SAHD and maybe everyone should fund me

I'm always a bit amused when the American arm of the LDS sends missionaries to Canada. :lol:

I'm always a bit amused when the American arm of the LDS sends missionaries to Canada. :lol:

Do the LDS do missions within the US or have they given it up as a lost cause?

We get a few young men sent here. They always greet me on the street with a "ma'am" which is so foreign. I want to take them home and give them a cup of tea and something to read.

Do the LDS do missions within the US or have they given it up as a lost cause?

We get a few young men sent here. They always greet me on the street with a "ma'am" which is so foreign. I want to take them home and give them a cup of tea and something to read.

Oh yeah, they're everywhere. I saw some in the library the other day, and the sisters come on campus pretty often. I think they're all over the world except places that won't allow them, like some of the Muslim countries. I believe there are even a few missions in areas where proselytizing isn't allowed, so they're purely service missions.

I did my semester abroad in NZ and I found the culture pretty secular, which I really appreciated. I miss living there a lot. I imagine it's less secular outside the university bubble, though, and even at uni there would occasionally be random preachers shouting at passers-by. I got handed a copy of Ray Comfort's 180 by one man.

Oh, I was bad to the bone. Examples of dire sins I am guilty of

-told (both) sisters they were adopted

-cut my hair and my sisters' hair - gave us all bangs (and that was the end of my hair dressing dreams)

-snuck out of bed - ate an entire box of chocolates and then went to tell my mom I felt sick and vomited on my mom

-buried my parent's antique silverware somewhere (not found to this day)

-refused to call my cousins by their given names - gave them nicknames I found to be hilarious - and those names stuck

AND all of this was before I was 5 - perhaps I should go to New Zealand so I might be evangelized by the SAHD and maybe everyone should fund me

Damn girl, your heart was black with sin. :evil-laugh:

Were your sisters older or younger than you? How did you know they were adopted and they didn't?

Husband is a kiwi. His grandfather was a missionary in Indonesia, his uncle is a missionary in South Africa and his cousins are missionaries in South Africa, India and Papua New Guinea. (All are fundy/fundy-lite.) Given that NZ is exporting fundy missionaries to Asia and Africa, I think it can afford to take in a couple of Americans.

... every night we prayed Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take.

I had that prayer (my aunt had embroidered it when she was a child, with a sweet little picture, and as the religious part of the family we ended up with it).

My sister and I found it very amusing to spoonerise, thus:

Now I slay me down to leep

I lay the Prord my koul to seep

If I should wie before I dake

I lay the Prord my toul to sake.

Sometimes we couldn't get through the final line... something about "lay the Prord" was hysterical. We wouldn't have lasted five minutes in a fundy household.

Oh yeah, they're everywhere. I saw some in the library the other day, and the sisters come on campus pretty often. I think they're all over the world except places that won't allow them, like some of the Muslim countries. I believe there are even a few missions in areas where proselytizing isn't allowed, so they're purely service missions.

I did my semester abroad in NZ and I found the culture pretty secular, which I really appreciated. I miss living there a lot. I imagine it's less secular outside the university bubble, though, and even at uni there would occasionally be random preachers shouting at passers-by. I got handed a copy of Ray Comfort's 180 by one man.

Well, ray comfort is a kiwi!

And Ken Ham is Australian, so sending this flibbertigibbet is just payback, really.

I feel the Lord has purposed me to minister the heathens of Vermont. Particularly two guys named Ben and Jerry :pray:

Archived