IGNORED

SAHD makes album for missions to NZ

dairyfreelife

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love wetas! I'll take wetas over spiders that will kill you, any day!

Trying to remember how I heard a comedian put it once - something like....'Australia - where every living thing can kill you quickly and in the most agonizingly painful way possible, within 5 minutes of landing.' :lol:

Bill Bryson goes on at length about Things What Can Kill You in his book on Australia.

Let us not forget Aussie was originally a convict drumping ground settlement. :nenner:

better criminals than puritans, thank you very much.

damn, even the roos can kill you.

an old red took out my sisters troopy somewhere in the nt. well, the roo didn't come off well either. but that car was a tank, and it was totalled.

let's not even get started on wombats. or drop bears.

actually, we've got deadly nightshade too. but foxgloves sounded funnier.

The Botkins aren't ours! They did live here for quite a while, but they're not originally from here. I will confess to Ray Comfort and Nancy Campbell though.

I just laugh when I hear about missionaries coming here now. New Zealand is very secular compared to the US, but it's hardly because people have never heard of Jesus or whatever. We do have a large fundie population, but like someone said earlier, they're pretty invisible from the outside. Most people when they hear about my childhood are completely shocked, because they had no idea the whole SOTDRT/SAHD movement even existed here.

Let us not forget Aussie was originally a convict drumping ground settlement. :nenner:

better criminals than puritans, thank you very much.

+1

I prefer the more formal wording that we use at work: "We should thank God everyday that he allowed us to have criminals instead of puritans." :D

Aussies, you can keep Russell Crowe, we don't want him. Can we please have Phar Lap back?

Didn't we give you his heart back or was it some other part? I'm sure some part of him was stuffed and sent back to NZ. We can send you the part that is stuffed and in the racing museum here. As far as his legend goes, yeah take it. Archer makes for a far more interesting story when it comes to race horses.

We don't want or need Russell Crowe either. Is there another country out there that would like a Russell Crowe? He comes with a free Rugby League team.

The Botkins aren't ours! They did live here for quite a while, but they're not originally from here. I will confess to Ray Comfort and Nancy Campbell though.

you touched em, you got botkin cooties.

Australia. NZ. Wetas. *shudder*

Lightweights. We have brood II.

We eat it but I would say pavlova, pineapple lumps, l&p and Anzac biscuits are more kiwi things.

Expat Kiwi here. Hungry now.

My husband is from New Zealand and we spend part of each year there. I am not really sure who they will be missioning to since most of the country identifies as Anglican, Catholic or Presbyterian

well, to the Anglicans and Catholics, of course. :evil: After all, they aren't really Christian (just like Lutherans. well, WELS might be because they treat their women like shit, but...)

She could minister to the sheep. :lol: I am so going to hell!

+1

I prefer the more formal wording that we use at work: "We should thank God everyday that he allowed us to have criminals instead of puritans." :D

Didn't we give you his heart back or was it some other part? I'm sure some part of him was stuffed and sent back to NZ. We can send you the part that is stuffed and in the racing museum here. As far as his legend goes, yeah take it. Archer makes for a far more interesting story when it comes to race horses.

We don't want or need Russell Crowe either. Is there another country out there that would like a Russell Crowe? He comes with a free Rugby League team.

Why would anyone want a Rugby League team? Especially one attached to Russell Crowe?

well, to the Anglicans and Catholics, of course. :evil: After all, they aren't really Christian (just like Lutherans. well, WELS might be because they treat their women like shit, but...)

She could minister to the sheep. :lol: I am so going to hell!

Oh, we know allllllll about you folk and your 'ministering' to your sheep. :lol:

What I don't understand about Xtian fundies; especially Evangelicals is how they don't view other Christian sects as Christian. Why is that? Do other religions do this, or is this just a Xtianity thing? Which sect of Xtianity is this girl? * sorry if I'm off topic *

Why would anyone want a Rugby League team? Especially one attached to Russell Crowe?

Why are we stuck with a Rugby League team that would have disappeared from existance if it weren't for the efforts of Russell Crowe? In fact, why do we have Rugby League at all. It is the only part of being from New South Wales that I don't like.

What I don't understand about Xtian fundies; especially Evangelicals is how they don't view other Christian sects as Christian. Why is that? Do other religions do this, or is this just a Xtianity thing? Which sect of Xtianity is this girl? * sorry if I'm off topic *

I think it happens in all religious groups. I have Muslim and Hindi friends who have been criticised for "not being a proper Muslim/Hindi and allowing Australian society to corrupt you". The biggest drama for the Muslim friends was allowing their children fast until lunchtime instead of all day during Ramadan. Apparently this is quite common in liberal Muslim groups but my friends certainly got a lot of flack for it.

In my husbands family there are Fundy Orthodox, Fundy Catholic and Fundy Protestants and none of them see each other as proper Christians. There is a definate order of how bad you are though; fundy of your own persuasion = good, fundy of another persuasion = not proper Christian but not in need of conversion, liberal Christian = desperately in need of help, non-Christian = must be converted before you can talk to them. (I fall into the liberal group and am really over being preached at by nieces, nephews, etc.)

Last I looked his skeleton was in Te Papa in Wellington, his hide is somewhere else and his heart Odin another location all together.

Last I looked his skeleton was in Te Papa in Wellington, his hide is somewhere else and his heart Odin another location all together.

"Phar Lap's remains were dispersed across the globe. His mounted hide went to the National Museum of Victoria in Melbourne, the skeleton to the National Museum of New Zealand in Wellington and the heart to the Australian Institute of Anatomy in Canberra.

Phar Lap's heart was displayed for many years at Institute of Anatomy, next to the smaller heart of another horse. The average weight of a horse heart is four kilograms and the display was a visual confirmation of the Australian saying, 'a heart as big as Phar Lap's'.

The Institute of Anatomy collection of wet biological specimens became one of the key collections of the National Museum. The heart is repeatedly the object visitors most request to see."

from the NAtional Museum of Australia's website.

Archived