IGNORED

Book Club #5: Going Clear by Lawrence Wright

Bethella

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright

Before starting this book I didn't know much about Scientology other than it's considered to be a kooky religion by most people, there are a lot of books and Tom Cruise is a member and he's always creeped me out, even as a kid. I was rather surprised at how unhinged Ron Hubbard appears to have been. His interpersonal relationships seem so disfunctional and his relationship with the teenage Messengers is just creepy even if there didn't seem to be a sexual component to it- you can groom a child without being overtly sexual about it. Without having lived through it I keep wondering how people can be so brainwashed as to accept his dictates as normal or appropriate, those punishments on the boats sound down right sadistic.

I wasn't able to finish the book due to real life and getting the book late from the library. In the last thread Rita asked about moving the discussions to once a month. Given that I haven't managed to finish the last two books in time I'm starting to think she's right. Would people prefer to keep it at twice a month or move to once a month? If we go to once a month does starting the thread on the first of the month still work for people? Any other ideas or suggestions?

May 15: Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer

June 1: In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language and a Culture by Alister McGrath

June 15: Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by John Krackauer

July 1: Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?: A Historical Introduction by John Fea

July 15: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I am reading this book, I am only about 1/4 into it. I am having a hard time getting interested for some reason!

I just got the Wright book from the library over the weekend but haven't had a chance to dive into it yet (and it's on the longer side). I would be fine with paring down to one book a month, and starting on the first of the month should be fine.

I didn't read this one, because the library doesn't have it over here and there was no ebook (I'm trying to avoid collecting more physical books--bookshelves are overflowing as it is). It looks interesting though, so hopefully I'll get a chance to read it in the future.

I would definitely be up for switching to once a month. I'm interested in basically all of the books but I'm finding it a bit hard to keep up with 2/month.

Ooh, I'll be reading this in the next week or so. I like the idea of changing to once a month. Between being busy and relying on libraries to read these, it'd help a lot.

I finished the book tonight. It's probably the densest one we have read so far. It's an interesting read but probably too detailed in its blow-by-blow account of Scientology's inner hierarchy struggles to make me want to pick it back up again ever.

I can see why the section about Scientology's attempts to manufacture a girlfriend for Tom Cruise got all the attention - sheesh. I found the sections about Miscavige's succession and subsequent power grabs to be pretty disturbing too. I mean, the church has to employ full-time people just to look after his dogs? And he and his wife were spending between $3000-$20,000 a week on food? I did not realize how much the church relies on the indentured servitude of the people in the Sea Org.

I think the epilogue was really excellent - Wright draws an interesting parallel between Scientologists and the Amish!

So now for my (very tame) personal Scientology story. I used to work in Washington, DC, close to the Scientology church at the corner of 16th and P streets. One day I was walking by and there was this guy in a pig mask standing on the corner across from the church. He was holding up a sign that said "google Lisa McPherson Scientology." So I went back home and did that - and this is the woman whose death in Scientology custody Wright discusses. As one of my colleagues said, the strategy of piquing the curiosity of passersby probably worked better that doing something more confrontational right at Scientology's door.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, based on the responses I think it's safe to say we're going to postpone the next book until June 1st.

Updated Schedule

June 1: Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer

July 1: In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language and a Culture by Alister McGrath

August 1: Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by John Krackauer

September 1: Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?: A Historical Introduction by John Fea

October 1: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Archived