IGNORED

Olivia... the fake Jew??

longskirts

carolinessimplestitch.blogspot.com/2013/04/going-away-party.html

Here's a blog post from someone who goes to Olivia's church.

There's a picture of Olivia's dad and brother doing a dance from Fiddler on the Roof, with dark hats on.

They concluded a goodbye party for a church member with the Hebrew song "Shalom chaverim".

Is her church getting into faux Judaism?

I doubt it. The church, from what Olivia has posted about the sermons, is super Calvinist and they're not even skirts-only or have any headcovering-wearing women - I definitely saw a woman in trousers in one of the pictures. One inappropriate use of a Jewish song does not a faux Jew make ;)

My dad likes to sing Hebrew songs and he's not Jewish. He just happens to really love Avinu Malkeinu,

They wear headcoverings at church and they made some kind of group decision to become skirts only, except for their farm work.

They wear headcoverings at church and they made some kind of group decision to become skirts only, except for their farm work.

So they wear headcoverings for church services? How do you know this? Also there is definitely a woman in trousers in those pictures.

So they wear headcoverings for church services? How do you know this? Also there is definitely a woman in trousers in those pictures.

Here is an article from Olivia's church heritagecenterville.org/pdf-articles/headcovering-pamphlet.pdf

That is why she always is wearing weird hats in the Sunday fashion photos.

Olivia has mentioned headcoverings many times on her blog.

This is what she said about skirts:

"The ladies in our church have agreed to wear skirts especially in public around our tiny town (at home sometimes we have to work in pants), in an effort to show that we are set apart."

freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/10/blue-suede-shoes-and-me.html

From that entry, it just seemed to be a couple of dances. I didn't see any of the Messianic catch-phrases.

Fiddler on the Roof is pretty mainstream. Shalom Chaverim is an Israeli song, and has no religious significance (although the phrase "Shalom chaver" DID have a lot of significance in Israel after Bill Clinton used it in his eulogy for Yitzhak Rabin - half the cars in Tel Aviv had bumper stickers with that phrase. Somehow, I strongly doubt that these folks would be thinking about that.)

OK, the 'set apart' phrase is setting off red flags for me now. Thanks TheLurkingFrumper and longskirts, sorry if I sounded really suspicious!

Archived