IGNORED

Doug Phillips the tool's father-merged

FJismyheadship

The only snark I have seen on Howard Phillips have been remarks left under articles.One of the few times here that everyone here seems to agree let the family mourn the death of dad,grandfather,uncle,friend and acquaintance.At least they will be doing this in private and not filmed like another family we know did 2 times!

For that they are to be complimented, for sure. But it still strikes me as odd that VF's Doug's Blog has not made mention of the man's passing, so co-identified with Vision Forum is Doug Phillips, the person.

Howard Phillips was not a nice man.

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/23/howard_ ... 2_partner/

His family may mourn him, but he would send all of us to hell, after turning the US into his version of a Christian nation.

Noting that a conservative leader will speak at his funeral -- I wonder if WBC will show up! Heck, they might still be on the east coast after Boston. That would be ... weird.

Howard Phillips was not a nice man.

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/23/howard_ ... 2_partner/

His family may mourn him, but he would send all of us to hell, after turning the US into his version of a Christian nation.

As someone whose father died slowly and painfully of cancer, and whose father-in-law died slowly and painfully of Pick's disease only a year ago, thanks for posting this.

I think I can choke back my tears that this guy is dead. I guess I'm just not a nice person; I'm not sad when oppressive jerks die, especially when they leave the sort of political legacy that this one has. :roll:

I can certainly empathize with Doug Phillips' grief over the death of his father (who did seem to be a good father) but this (visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/default.aspx?path=/2013/04/10789/) is something else:

I made sure that each of my eight children had time alone with Dad. As they would walk into the room, I would grab them, look them in the eye, and prepare them for a final goodbye. Because Dad was incapable of giving a patriarchal blessing at the time of his death, I used the private time of each child with my father to speak to them about the finality of this moment and the hope of Heaven. I then took my father’s hand and placed it on each child, and I spoke the words of blessing that I believe my father would have spoken had he been able to do so. Beall recorded them so they would never forget.
[Emphasis added]

Words fail. :?

How old are these children? Id consider making a kid see their dead grandad, and moving his hand to touch the children while their dad prays over them to be potentially traumatizing to a child.

I can certainly empathize with Doug Phillips' grief over the death of his father (who did seem to be a good father) but this (visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/default.aspx?path=/2013/04/10789/) is something else:

[Emphasis added]

Words fail. :?

Hardly privatetime.

How old are these children? Id consider making a kid see their dead grandad, and moving his hand to touch the children while their dad prays over them to be potentially traumatizing to a child.

OH, honey. When your mom wrestles alligators* but your dad's the manly man who has at least two cameras on him at all times as he treks through the Amazon, and who then sees to it that his crotch-shot swinging-from-vines photo is published on the interwebz,* it takes a lot more than a still, grey grandpa to traumatize you. :mouse-shock:

FTR, I believe the youngest is about 10 and the oldest 22-ish.

* Almost certain that the gator wrassling photo is on jensgems.wordpress.com

and absotively sure the vine swinging photo is on VF.com

:oops:

Oh. my. god. Words fail.

How to respond to an imagined scene like this, when one truly and sincerely doesn't want to snark on a family's loss and grief - and yet, the phrase that comes to mind is "A drama queen first, a drama queen last, a drama queen always"??

And, I can't help but add - for all this patriarch's purported conservatism and traditional values when it comes to the ol'-fashioned roles and work of the wimminfolk, do a bit of research and take a look at just how independently and successfully the daughters are conducting their lives. Not to mention Howard's sister, Susan Phillips Bari, who seems to be pulling down impressively tidy sums in the manly, cutthroat world of New York real estate.

Repeat after me: "Do as I say, not as I do...do as I say, not as I do..." :whistle:

And, I can't help but add - for all this patriarch's purported conservatism and traditional values when it comes to the ol'-fashioned roles and work of the wimminfolk, do a bit of research and take a look at just how independently and successfully the daughters are conducting their lives. Not to mention Howard's sister, Susan Phillips Bari, who seems to be pulling down impressively tidy sums in the manly, cutthroat world of New York real estate.

Repeat after me: "Do as I say, not as I do...do as I say, not as I do..." :whistle:

QFT.

Doug Phillips Is A Tool

:music-tool::music-tool::music-tool::music-tool::music-tool::music-tool::music-tool::music-tool::music-tool::music-tool:

[Thanks, admins, for moving the "Tool" smilie up in the charts - much easier to click on now! :D ]

He wasn't dead. He was dying. Their father was giving them a blessing (although the whole patriarchal bit is gaggy to me) because their grandfather couldn't speak the words he likely would have wanted to, and in that family I am guessing it was something precious and special that worked in their own context. And while seeing either a dying or a dead person can be traumatic and difficult for anyone, even adults, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I didn't understand it to be that his father was dead, he was still alive but unable to speak. I would have wanted to be with any of my grandparents in their last few hours in order to say goodbye but 3 of them died before I was born and my grandmother died while I was stationed in the Navy. But it would have been my choice, not something forced on me, and I was an adult.

I didn't understand it to be that his father was dead, he was still alive but unable to speak. I would have wanted to be with any of my grandparents in their last few hours in order to say goodbye but 3 of them died before I was born and my grandmother died while I was stationed in the Navy. But it would have been my choice, not something forced on me, and I was an adult.

Unless I were really young, I'd want to be with a dying grandparent to say goodbye on my own terms.

I would NOT want to be there trying say goodbye to a beloved grandparent while listening to my father saying things that he's pretending his dying father would have said if he could speak and then watching my mother write it all down. It just seems so orchestrated and inappropriate.

No thanks.

Archived