Doug Phillips the tool's father-merged

FJismyheadship

His sister Alexandra is on my friends list and just posted this:

Alessandra Rossi-Filippi

Update on my Dad from my brother

Sam Phillips

UPDATE ON DAD:

Dear friends,

I would ask you to remember my beloved Dad in your prayers in a special way today. He is in his final stages and is not expected to survive beyond the next few days.

When we received his official diagnosis of Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) and Alzheimers just two years ago we never could have been prepared for the disturbingly rapid deterioration he would undergo. The deadly combination of these two powerful diseases is more than any man can long withstand, even a man as tenacious and sharp as my father. Dad had been such an intelligent and charming man, that he managed to mask his condition from family and friends for a long period before we were able to intellectually and emotionally come to grips with the medical reality of what was happening. Even in recent months as his condition greatly worsened, when visitors dropped by Dad would often surprise us with his ability to “rise to the occasion†and engage with charm those around him for short periods of time.

We ask for God’s mercy and blessing that Dad might feel comfort and deep abiding peace during these precious final moments, and, most importantly, that he might experience joy eternal afterwards.

St. Joseph, patron saint of the dying and for a holy death, ora pro nobis.

In case anyone is interested this is publicly viewable. Here's the link: facebook.com/alessandra.rossifilippi?fref=ts

I can't snark on this. My prayers and sympathies go out to the family.

I'm not snarking, but I am mentally reviewing some of the more flamboyant Doug moments over the past 24 months, in the context of "This is what this grown man, oldest son of his father, is doing as his dad's mental abilities spiral downward at a distressingly rapid rate."

I'm not even sure I'll find anything with which to criticize Doug, in fact if he chose not to try to capitalize on his dad's condition, props to him for classiness on that count, at least.

But it will be something to consider in those moments when I cast my own mental eye on Doug's recent activities.

She made a quick trip back to DC, and thanked a bunch of family but no Doug. She has more compassion in her little finger than he does.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

He died this morning and the family will be together for the funeral according to Alexandra's blog. She had just returned to Berlin.

Just read that Doug Phillips' dad passed away. Will be interesting to see how VF shares the info and other bloggers or facebook.He was one of the founders of The Constitution Party.

sorry for him and the family, although I'm sure Doug would take issue with the Catholic stuff...

It had eluded me that a brother, not Alessandra, asked for prayers from a saint. I wonder if Doug is the only reformed [sic] one of the siblings.

ETA Doug's blog from 2 days ago is w/r/t Earth Day. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, let's presume he's in transit to Virginia or wherever the services will be. Were it me, with a widely read blog, I think I'd leave a short post saying that my dad had died, and appreciating in advance my followers' prayers for my mom and family.

But that's just me. But it's also hard to believe not one of those interns volunteered to post something. So much for manly regards for one's father? oops, bad Junebug, stop the snark. :hand:

It had eluded me that a brother, not Alessandra, asked for prayers from a saint. I wonder if Doug is the only reformed [sic] one of the siblings.

I'm sure their father converted from Judaism to some form of Protestantism, it would surprise me if all Dougie's siblings were now Catholics. But maybe Dougie's toolishness drove them away from his doctrines.

I want to remember that Doug's mom was born & raised in the RC church. Hey, I know, I'll ask Wikipedia. :)

ETA: Nope, Mr. Phillips the elder was not RC:

The wiki hasn't been updated to reflect his death. I guess the family are more involved with comforting each other and carrying out arrangements. I want to think that Mr. Phillips was happy that his children were Christians no matter the denomination. And now, sigh, this is bringing back memories of my own dear folks' passings.

RIP, Mr. Phillips, and blessings on your survivors.

Just read that Doug Phillips' dad passed away. Will be interesting to see how VF shares the info and other bloggers or facebook.He was one of the founders of The Constitution Party.

I don't know about other bloggers, but I have seen from some of the fundier folks on my FB that Doug Phillips has at least written a private tribute to his father and shared it just in his own circle. I'm not friends with Doug (big shock there), so I haven't seen the whole thing, but from the couple of lines I've seen quoted by others, it sounds more like genuine heartbreak from a son who idolized his father than anything I'd snark on.

Note: I didn't feel right sharing the brief quote I saw here because the only place I've seen it shared is on the FB page of an old friend from fundie-church days, and I know her page isn't public.

I thought I had read that Doug's mother is Catholic. His younger brother went to Christendom College in VA if I'm not mistaken. It is a very conservative college but definitely Catholic.

Had also read that his wife, Peggy, was Catholic. Found a list of the children:

Wife, Peggy Blanchard Phillips: married 1964

Son Douglas Phillips: born 1965

Daughter Amanda Phillips: born 1966

Son Brad Phillips: 1968

Daughter Jennifer Phillips: born 1974

Daughter Alexandra Phillips: born 1978

Son Samuel Joshua Phillips: 1986

Howard was Jewish but converted to Christianity - specifically, Christian Reconstructionism as promoted by Rousas Rushdooney. Here's part of a 1998 interview w/Howard Phillips from World Nut Daily (wnd.com/1998/10/5878/#oXulh9sAHyRbgD4O.99)

I decided I had two choices. I had the one choice of withdrawing entirely from politics — because I could not in good conscience rally people to the banner of “losing as slowly as possible.†On the other hand, I had to define and articulate a vision of victory. So I had to spend a lot of time thinking about what victory in political terms meant. And in a nutshell, I concluded that it meant Biblical justice, biblical jurisprudence — a return to the working understanding that we live under God’s law, that He is sovereign, that He is our Creator, and that we are one nation under God, a nation which must live by the rules that He makes.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/1998/10/5878/#oXulh9sAHyRbgD4O.99

and

Years ago, I was most profoundly moved by the cogent arguments and analysis of Doctor R. J. Rushdoony in a tract he had written opposing socialized medicine from a Biblical perspective. I had opposed socialized medicine for years, but had not had exposure to the Scriptural rationale Dr. Rushdoony had articulated for the position.

In the course of reading this, I began to spend more time studying the Scripture, both Old and New Testament, and began to come to grips with the constantly mentioned subject of blood sacrifice as the basis for atonement for sin where God was concerned. The ultimate blood sacrifice for sin, obviously, is Jesus Christ. I committed my life to Him as Lord and Savior and subsequently realized that there could be no disconnection between the Christian world view, based on blood sacrifice and redemption, the Scriptural testimony to this event, and one’s commitment to impacting the culture for Christ, inside and outside of the political and activist arenas.

It seems that Dougie was the only one Howard's children who bought into this stuff lock, stock & barrel. No wonder then that Doug is bereft at the death of his father apart from the entirely natural grief such a loss would bring.

Had also read that his wife, Peggy, was Catholic. Found a list of the children:

Wife, Peggy Blanchard Phillips: married 1964

Son Douglas Phillips: born 1965

Daughter Amanda Phillips: born 1966

Son Brad Phillips: 1968

Daughter Jennifer Phillips: born 1974

Daughter Alexandra Phillips: born 1978

Son Samuel Joshua Phillips: 1986

Howard was Jewish but converted to Christianity - specifically, Christian Reconstructionism as promoted by Rousas Rushdooney. Here's part of a 1998 interview w/Howard Phillips from World Nut Daily (wnd.com/1998/10/5878/#oXulh9sAHyRbgD4O.99)

and

It seems that Dougie was the only one Howard's children who bought into this stuff lock, stock & barrel. No wonder then that Doug is bereft at the death of his father apart from the entirely natural grief such a loss would bring.

That's probably true. I know one of the daughters lives in DC area, and she runs with the fundie-lite homeschool crowd up here, but there's a pretty far distance from that to the hardcore Dominionists. Brad Phillips (of Persecution Project fame) is definitely very religious, but I have a few acquaintances in common with him - and they're not from my fundie church days. I've never met him, but he sounds more fundie-lite to mainstream evangelical based on what I hear from others. The fact that he has Chanceys working with him gives me pause, though.

I don't know about other bloggers, but I have seen from some of the fundier folks on my FB that Doug Phillips has at least written a private tribute to his father and shared it just in his own circle. I'm not friends with Doug (big shock there), so I haven't seen the whole thing, but from the couple of lines I've seen quoted by others, it sounds more like genuine heartbreak from a son who idolized his father than anything I'd snark on.

Note: I didn't feel right sharing the brief quote I saw here because the only place I've seen it shared is on the FB page of an old friend from fundie-church days, and I know her page isn't public.

So Doug is a real boy, after all. *sad smile*

Losing a dad is never easy, no matter how well we think we're prepared.

I don't like what Doug does, but I understand in general how he's feeling now. Peace to all the survivors.

I don't like Doug, at all but I wish him peace and comfort during these moments. Loosing a parent is difficult. When my mom died, planning the funeral was surreal and heartbreaking. At one moment, I wanted to lay on the floor and laugh/scream/cry hysterically not from humor but from pent up emotions. If he is feeling pain like that I have pity for him.

Links to three obits/articles available as of this morning:

washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/21/political-activist-phillips-dies/

theamericanconservative.com/rip-howard-phillips-constitution-party-founder/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rip-howard-phillips-constitution-party-founder

religiondispatches.org/dispatches/julieingersoll/7056/howard_phillips__founding_father_of_religious_right__has_died/

I heard Doug Philips talk about his dad this past weekend, and honestly, I have never heard anyone speak of a parent with so much love and reverence. I feel terribly sorry for that whole family right now.

The only snark I have seen on Howard Phillips have been remarks left under articles.One of the few times here that everyone here seems to agree let the family mourn the death of dad,grandfather,uncle,friend and acquaintance.At least they will be doing this in private and not filmed like another family we know did 2 times!

Condolences to the family. Even though this was coming for some time, it's still hard when it happens.

Doug & Joshua were in AK at a homeschool conference & Beall & the rest of the kids were in TX at the wedding of Stephen Bowman when his father passed. Yes his mom is/was Catholic. Yes his father was Jewish and converted. With the FLD & Alzheimers, he declined rapidly (in about a year from start to finish). I always feel bad when someone looses a loved one.....My heart goes out to them.

Doug & Joshua were in AK at a homeschool conference & Beall & the rest of the kids were in TX at the wedding of Stephen Bowman when his father passed. Yes his mom is/was Catholic. Yes his father was Jewish and converted. With the FLD & Alzheimers, he declined rapidly (in about a year from start to finish). I always feel bad when someone looses a loved one.....My heart goes out to them.

And it is awful when a loved one has FLD and Alzheimers. I remember a prominent physician I once cared for, he had been the head of a department, written a well known textbook, and was in his mid 50's. He had a very rapid onset and within a week went from making rounds to being in the dementia unit. Very sad. Mr. Phillips was such an intelligent man and so involved in life, it had to be devastating for his family to watch.

Archived