IGNORED

Josie's ear infection

homeschoolmomma1

I agree as a lot of preschools are teaching baby sign now too. My 3rd didn't speak until he was 3 and with learning baby sign, he started to make sounds like gooing and cooing shortly before 3 years. Before baby sign he was just silent. Baby sign IMO is a great thing for all different kinds of babies and their needs.

Baby sign seems to help with a lot of whining and screaming from what I see from babies who learn and babies who do not. It looked to me that she also signed "please" but then, she might just like to put her hand on her chest and happened to be moving it in the shot.

LPL- did you learn sign before you were able to hear? If so, do you rmember any of it?

My ears got so plugged up when I was in kindergarten that I could not hear. My parents at first thought I was going through "selective hearing" since I wasn"t always listening to them but was doing well in school. They had a friend offer me a brownie (yes, I have always been food motivated!) standing out of my range of sight and when I did not respond they took me in to see the doctor. He said that I had clearly been lip reading. Thankfully, flushing my ears worked and I did not have to have tubes put in.

Baby sign seems to help with a lot of whining and screaming from what I see from babies who learn and babies who do not. It looked to me that she also signed "please" but then, she might just like to put her hand on her chest and happened to be moving it in the shot.

LPL- did you learn sign before you were able to hear? If so, do you rmember any of it?

My ears got so plugged up when I was in kindergarten that I could not hear. My parents at first thought I was going through "selective hearing" since I wasn"t always listening to them but was doing well in school. They had a friend offer me a brownie (yes, I have always been food motivated!) standing out of my range of sight and when I did not respond they took me in to see the doctor. He said that I had clearly been lip reading. Thankfully, flushing my ears worked and I did not have to have tubes put in.

Yes, I learned baby sign but not ASL and I did remember quite a bit which helped teach my non-speaking son when everyone thought of it. I know it sounds stupid but no one thought of it until he was about 2 and a fundy friend's downs daughter started talking to him in that manner, it was a light bulb moment for everyone. I didn't learn ASL because by that time the focus was me learning to hear and speak as I was trying to only use sign and not do the hard work of hearing and speaking. And it is very hard work for semi deaf people.

I also lip read for most my life and in noisy moments I still do. I'm not an expert of course because I rely on my ears to hear but my sisters would have me spy on our parents and strangers to see what they were saying. It worked until my mother caught on and she had everyone talk with their hand over their mouth so I couldn't eavesdrop on private convos anymore. :oops:

I used to get strep throat and ear infections all the time when I was a kid. It turns out I'm very allergic to second hand smoke, and my mom quit smoking when she found out. But everyone thinks of asthma or lung cancer, and many people don't realize the effect it can have on your throat and ears. I did have tubes in my ears but I was a healthy full-term baby so I had less of a risk than Josie. Preemies are more vulnerable to some things for years into their lives. As an adult I still get strep throat pretty often when I am exposed to second-hand smoke but I haven't had an earache in a long time.

That's most likely my nephew's problem. Poor kid even after a set of tubes seems to always have strep or an ear infection and I think it's because they spoke inside the house.

I remember having a bad ear infection in one ear and not being able to hear out of the ear almost at all. I would rather have gastric bypass and a gallbladder removal then an ear infection.

My youngest daughter was born at 37 weeks, and at just barely 5 pounds. She had constant ear infections from 3 months old, and got her first set of tubes right around her 18 months old. She was almost immediately more verbal. The tubes fell out on their own around her 3rd birthday, and now, almost a year later, we're in the process of getting set up for another set (that is, she's had 2 ear infections in 3 months, another one and she gets tubes again). I hope when they put her under, they'll agree to take out her tonsils at the same time and not have to do two surgeries.

I had numerous ear infections as a child and have had several as a teen and adult. Although all of mine have been treated I still have hearing loss caused by scarring on my ear drums

Archived