IGNORED

Michael Pearl's Book For Men

debrand

I think he has to be some form of psychopath, he doesnt seem to have any empathy whatsoever, and thinks he is so much better than everyone else and has the right to hurt them. Its like he thinks his needs matter, but everyone else shouldnt have any needs or wants and do whatever he wants them to.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone posted a story from CTBHHM a while back about how Michael once came home (I think it was in the early years of their marriage), threw some rabbit carcasses that he had hunted on the kitchen table, "grunted", and went to have a bath. Debbi knew what he wanted and got to work cooking the rabbits so he could have them for dinner when he finished the bath.

So, I guess he conditioned her indeed. Ugh.

Is that the sort of romantic ideal of a honeymoon I was supposed to hold out for? Not sorry I passed. I thought this bunch was all about how feminists don't know what it's like to not be objectified and to be truly respected by a man? Or have the patriarchs just gotten so complacent that they don't feel the need to blow smoke anymore?

Maybe this reads completely differently inside the bubble, but I can't wrap my head around how any helpmeet in training could square that account of the Pearls' wedding night with the pseudo-Victorian romanticising they're encouraged to do.

I know this is trivial, but it's been rattling around my mind since I first read The Pearl Wedding Night from Hell on LibbyAnne's blog.

Debbie objects to ground beef because of the expense. This makes me wonder about her background: what social class in an industrialised nation considers ground beef to be a luxury cut of meat, too dear to be considered even for a wedding night dinner for two? Even in the late 60s/ early 70s, you'd be hard pressed to find cheaper except for offal. Perhaps Debi's family was subsisting on boiled lights and turnips, so Pearl seemed like a desirable match? Food insecurity in childhood could explain why she puts up with his crap.

That is an interesting point you make of her possibly having grown up with food insecurity. It would explain a lot about why she stuck it out. I have another question. How the hell do fundies read this evil and call it good? It's not slick, it's not sugarcoated, they don't even try to clean it up. Yet there are people who can read the Pearls and think they are shitting rubies.

After Deb rants to Michael about why she collapsed in the shower (tired, her feet were mangled, she hadn't slept in 48 hours, etc.), he quips: "Strange creatures, these females. My brother never acted like that when we traveled together holding evangelistic services." Well, Mike, presumably you weren't waking your brother up every 20 minutes for sex or to make him cook for you.

Well, Mike, presumably you weren't waking your brother up every 20 minutes for sex or to make him cook for you.

That we know of...

I have another question. How the hell do fundies read this evil and call it good? It's not slick, it's not sugarcoated, they don't even try to clean it up. Yet there are people who can read the Pearls and think they are shitting rubies.

Or maybe it is sugarcoated. Think on that. I have been. Michael Pearl's notion of a misty, water-coloured memory.

I think he has to be some form of psychopath, he doesnt seem to have any empathy whatsoever, and thinks he is so much better than everyone else and has the right to hurt them.

I always thought there was something sort of Manson-esque about Michael.

I agree. I think MP is more evil and sadistic than what is expressed in his books.

Well, Mike, presumably you weren't waking your brother up every 20 minutes for sex or to make him cook for you.
With this family, nothing would surprise me. :?

My money would be on the person who had sex 5 times on his wedding night having been lying about it anyway. Or perhaps he meant 5 strokes and he was done? But seriously, who would BELIEVE some douche bragging about having sex 5 times on their wedding night? If I'd heard that story, I would have divided the number by 2 (much like when a problematic drinker says how much they drink, you multiply the answer by 2).

Crabs? I LOL'd at the loose crabs. Its the first fundie related laugh i've had since I watched the FAMTEAM North Carolina video where they make it seem like the little kids toy penguin exploded in the washing machine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poor Debi, its unbelievable that she spendt a large part of her teen years pining over this tomahawk throwing beardy weirdy.

What a nightmare. My husband and I are Christians (not fundies) and we were virgins when we married, but our honeymoon was nothing like this.

We were exhausted after the wedding reception so we took a nap. When we woke up we ordered room service, filled the Jacuzzi and just laughed and talked until we were ready to go to bed.

We made love again in the morning before leaving for the honeymoon. I don't remember how often we did it on our two-week honeymoon, but I remember lots of laughter and fun and no crabbing---we went to a different restaurant every night and he treated me like a queen.

It's sad that Pearl's wife thought that this was her lot in life, and just accepted it. I'll bet their sex life went downhill from there.

Your honeymoon sounds awesome!!!

Well, at least we finally have a caption for this old picture of the Pearls:

ieSB5EB.jpg

Or maybe it is sugarcoated. Think on that. I have been. Michael Pearl's notion of a misty, water-coloured memory.

That thought makes me need that Frauengold booze/speed stuff from the other thread. STAT. Cases of it. Paging the Doctor!

Seriously...that is terrifying.

ieSB5EB.jpg

This is absolutely awful...but are those Michael's nipples I see sticking out from whatever the hell he is wearing? (that is some really ugly swimwear?) There weird, they look way too low to be nipples, but what the hell else could they be?

This is absolutely awful...but are those Michael's nipples I see sticking out from whatever the hell he is wearing? (that is some really ugly swimwear?) There weird, they look way too low to be nipples, but what the hell else could they be?

I think those are his ribs. Either way ewwwww. To be so proud at being an asshole just kills it for me. :ew:

This came up (you should pardon the expression) the first time I posted this picture, as well.

I think he's just got a short ribcage and a long abdomen, and was very skinny at the tine, and that is the outline of his lowest ribs.

Is it bad that this kind of makes me feel bad for her? She and the kids seem to be nothing more than props to him. I feel like now she just goes along with what he says and is "grateful" for it. Who treats their wife like that?? Sad that there is no such thing as enthusiastic consent in their world. I wonder what type of person she would be today had she not gotten tangled up with him. Then I remember the horrible stuff she spouts. Wonder if she really believes it?

I know this is trivial, but it's been rattling around my mind since I first read The Pearl Wedding Night from Hell on LibbyAnne's blog.

Debbie objects to ground beef because of the expense. This makes me wonder about her background: what social class in an industrialised nation considers ground beef to be a luxury cut of meat, too dear to be considered even for a wedding night dinner for two? Even in the late 60s/ early 70s, you'd be hard pressed to find cheaper except for offal. Perhaps Debi's family was subsisting on boiled lights and turnips, so Pearl seemed like a desirable match? Food insecurity in childhood could explain why she puts up with his crap.

She fed the whole family on dried corn that was sold as animal feed and not much else except what Michael hunted for a whole winter when they first moved to the property they live on, so she's certainly experienced food insecurity for herself and her children in her marriage. She writes about her parents bringing them peanut butter and cans of tuna and it seeming like a huge luxury.

ieSB5EB.jpg

ewwww...

THE MYSTERY OF THE MATCHY-MATCHY. Is this where it all began????

Archived