IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting 2013 - The Duggars Do Part 2

happy atheist

I hope that when their book comes out, the oldest girls can go on the book tour by themselves.

I know..it's not gonna happen.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But where would they stay as they travelled? You can't trust them alone in a motel. Anything could happen! Someone might get drunk in an adjacent room and scare the precious little darlings. Are there ATI families in every city they could stay with? I'm assuming the girls wouldn't be allowed to take the bus when it's only four of them.

And who would look after the lost girls? And who would mark the homeschool work? And who would cook dinner? And who would ....

Edited to add: I just reread my post and when I say "bus" I do mean that huge coach thing with the beds they drive. In the post, I sound like a Kindy mum talking about whether my 5 years old is big enough to catch the school bus by themselves. We all know the Duggar ladies would never be allowed to catch a public bus by themselves. :D

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Oh, so it's pronounced like Enya?

Eithne, the Irish version at least, is pronounced like Enya or AYN-ya. I bet this family is pronouncing it ETH-KNEE.

Well, that's cleared something up for me. Thanks! (If we had a Eureka/light bulb smiley, it would be here.)

Eithne is the name of a character in one of my favorite books, and I've always wondered how it was pronounced - after figuring out Siobhan and Aisling, I figured "eth-knee" was probably wrong. I did try to learn some Gaelic before our trip to Ireland a few years ago, and watched an unusual amount of British/Irish TV for someone around here, but I never made the connection between "Eithne" and "Enya" and Gaelic is still beyond me. Had the same problem with "pneumonia" in grade school - didn't know at first that it was a "silent" P.

So, how would "Bridie" and "Cornanagh" be pronounced?

While we are taking note of the F U Free Jinger moments, did anyone else see the sign hanging from Jessa's headboard while she and Jinger were making phone calls? It says "No Shoes Required" and has flip-flops/thongs painted on it.

"Oh, so it's pronounced like Enya?

Eithne, the Irish version at least, is pronounced like Enya or AYN-ya. I bet this family is pronouncing it ETH-KNEE.

Ethny would be an odd Anglicization of that, though. Was the name said in the actual episode? (I had waaaay better things to do). I've seen a lot of clueless types pick out gaelic/welsh names to "honour their heritage" and then completely bastardize the actual name. (My favourite was a woman who pronounced Myfanwy to rhyme with Tiffany). Spelling Eithne as Ethny looks like the sort of thing said clueless types would do. And then they'd argue with you that it was authentic. :roll:

ETA: Note to self: Cheering "I'm a vigorous leghumper!" can get you odd looks from Other People.

Ethny would be an odd Anglicization of that, though. Was the name said in the actual episode? (I had waaaay better things to do). I've seen a lot of clueless types pick out gaelic/welsh names to "honour their heritage" and then completely bastardize the actual name. (My favourite was a woman who pronounced Myfanwy to rhyme with Tiffany). Spelling Eithne as Ethny looks like the sort of thing said clueless types would do. And then they'd argue with you that it was authentic. :roll:

ETA: Note to self: Cheering "I'm a vigorous leghumper!" can get you odd looks from Other People.

This reminds me of a woman who named her daughter Siobhan, pronouncing it Sie-oh-ban, and wondered why she was marked as absent on her first day of P1 (the teacher obviously said Siobhan as it's meant to be pronounced and the poor girl didn't know it was her).

So alcohol is bad mkay, so bad J-chelle will leave her preemie daughter in the NICU to go complain about a liquor license application, but Jinger can be strung out on an undisclosed amount of caffeine? Ugh.

The J-slaves will be single forever. With Boob saying on National Telly that any guy interested has to go through him... yeah, there'll be some 30-year old SAHD's pretty soon.

Yeah, Im a bit suprised that theyd allow that.

I guess its as close to getting high as she can actually get...I would be reaching for whatever mind altering substances was available if I had to live like that.

Yeah, Im a bit suprised that theyd allow that.

I guess its as close to getting high as she can actually get...I would be reaching for whatever mind altering substances was available if I had to live like that.

Oh me too! And Keurig cups can't be purchased used to save the difference, so go for it Jinger!

This reminds me of a woman who named her daughter Siobhan, pronouncing it Sie-oh-ban, and wondered why she was marked as absent on her first day of P1 (the teacher obviously said Siobhan as it's meant to be pronounced and the poor girl didn't know it was her).

How's it meant to be pronounced?

Shuh-VAUGHN (slight variations due to different accents)

I once met a Sean Rosenburg who pronounced it SEEN. ANd my Aunt Sorcha (pronounced SIRKA) has hassles all the time, as did my cousin Seamus before Celtic names became all the rage. That said, it's unreasonable to expect most Americans to look at an Irish name and know how to pronounce it, but really, don't give your kid a name that you yourself don't know how to pronounce.

Oooh, I think I know this one. It's pronounced Shuh-vahn or Shih-vahn, roughly. The "bh" is a "v" sound. "Niamh" sounds like "Neev" (Nee-av?) - another "v" from the "mh".

(And I only know this from watching Ballykissangel, where there was both a Siobhan and a Niamh, and keeping the closed-captions on.)

"Myfanwy " has me totally stumped. Is it Welsh?

I know of someone whose daughter is named Saoirse. My best imitation of the pronunication is "Shar-shuh" - anyone know if that's close?

I'm sure all the caffeine that Jinger took in during the coffee episode would do as much damage as alcohol. Caffeine is bad too, J'Chelle. Stop being a hypo-crite

I know of someone whose daughter is named Saoirse. My best imitation of the pronunication is "Shar-shuh" - anyone know if that's close?

I think it's actually SEER-shuh, but a lot of Gaelic/Celtic names are hard for Anglophones to accurately pronounce because the language is so different.

Well, that's cleared something up for me. Thanks! (If we had a Eureka/light bulb smiley, it would be here.)

Eithne is the name of a character in one of my favorite books, and I've always wondered how it was pronounced - after figuring out Siobhan and Aisling, I figured "eth-knee" was probably wrong. I did try to learn some Gaelic before our trip to Ireland a few years ago, and watched an unusual amount of British/Irish TV for someone around here, but I never made the connection between "Eithne" and "Enya" and Gaelic is still beyond me. Had the same problem with "pneumonia" in grade school - didn't know at first that it was a "silent" P.

So, how would "Bridie" and "Cornanagh" be pronounced?

I spelled it exactly how they pronounced it... so yeah, "eth knee" it is...

Ratings are in!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/0 ... re/178323/

THEY DIDNT MAKE THE TOP 100 SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :dance: :nenner: :nenner: :nenner: :dance: :clap:

Oooh, I think I know this one. It's pronounced Shuh-vahn or Shih-vahn, roughly. The "bh" is a "v" sound. "Niamh" sounds like "Neev" (Nee-av?) - another "v" from the "mh".

(And I only know this from watching Ballykissangel, where there was both a Siobhan and a Niamh, and keeping the closed-captions on.)

"Myfanwy " has me totally stumped. Is it Welsh]

Myfanwy as in Little Britain?

Also St John confuses me. Sometimes I hear it pronouced Sin Jin. Why is that?

This may have been mentioned but did the living room lack furniture? It looked really bare to me.

I was really surprised at the Keurig coffee maker. Not something I would expect to see in a household that supposedly makes its own soap to save money. While convenient and easy - this is the most expensive way to make coffee.

Did anyone notice one of the girls referring to the patient's husband as a "Mr. Steady personality?" They must have read their Debi Pearl.

This may have been mentioned but did the living room lack furniture? It looked really bare to me.

I was really surprised at the Keurig coffee maker. Not something I would expect to see in a household that supposedly makes its own soap to save money. While convenient and easy - this is the most expensive way to make coffee.

We've seen the Keurig on the bus before. What surprised me was that they had the "brand" K-cups and not the refillable ones. The branded ones run about .40/cup.

"Myfanwy " has me totally stumped. Is it Welsh?

Yup! You can hear the pronunciation here: http://www.forvo.com/word/myfanwy/#cy . It's also the title of a song:

I mean I get that these names are hard to pronounce if you aren't familiar with the phonetics of the language they come from. But if you're naming a child, surely you'd want to do the research before committing to something permanent? No? Just me then.

(I've seen Siobhan anglicized as Shevonne. Not as pretty to look at, but at least the average non-irish person will be able to work out the pronunciation.)

This thing with the names is interesting. I was friends with a girl in high school who swore that the family she babysat for after school had two kids: a girl named Punkin and a boy named Capital. The girls name was because her mom thought 'pumpkin' was cute, but decided to alter the spelling to make it more personal. The boys name was to commemorate the story the parents told that he was conceived after a drunken night when they had sex on the steps of the state Capital building sometime in the early hours of the morning.

I pray my friend was fibbing.

StacyW wrote:

I think it's actually SEER-shuh, but a lot of Gaelic/Celtic names are hard for Anglophones to accurately pronounce because the language is so different.

Closest would be either SIR-sha or SEER-sha. Just as in every other country, Irish pronunciation varies somewhat regionally. Another aunt is Aine, which is most closely pronounced AWN-ya, but we say AHN-ya.

I would pronounce it Sir-shuh, but allowing for differences in accent, the way you say it is fine.

Oh, and to the person asking about StJohn....sinjin is the English pronunciation, I think. It's quite old-fashioned, though and I'm not sure when it got changed to Saint John.

I love names!

Random thoughts on the most recent episodes:

There were so many "take that, internetz!" moments. The trainer saying that TTC, fried chicken, and sweet tea were henceforth verboten, Michelle's shitty SOTDRT lesson, the kids planting vegetables in an outdoor garden...

During the coffee shop episode, Jinger said at one point, "Without coffee I wouldn't have a personality so I have to keep it up." Yeah, basically; the only thing that distinguishes her from her siblings is her love of coffee. I know she didn't mean it like that, but it's still sad.

Did anyone else notice Hannie rolling her eyes after she said that "baby dolls" were a good gift for a baby girl? Again, I know she didn't mean it like that - the eyerolling being disdainful, that is - but damn if it didn't give me some hope. People in the real world are often resistant enough to questioning gender roles, though, so it's really an uphill battle for these kids, trapped in a patriarchal cult as they are.

Forgot to mention that I was going to turn these episodes into a drinking game, maybe take a sip every time someone said "ministry," but I forgot and just took a drink whenever the urge struck...which was a lot. :obscene-drinkingchug:

Maybe next week I'll drink every time someone says "midwiffery." :angry-banghead:

Archived