IGNORED

[Repost] Parents: You are Being Preyed Upon

defrauding

Parents,

There's an industry out there that is preying upon your emotions and your needs to bring about order and "family bonding" in your homes.

Its the multi-billion dollar "Attachment Industry".

Billions? Yes.

The State Government in several states have FUNDED this nonsense, some still do.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/at.html

The initial focus was foster and adoptive parents but the wider your clientele, the more money to be made, so not even "birth parents" are off limits.

Oh Larry. We know, we know.

Sigh. Larry, Larry, Larry.

RAD MYTH, you are being prayed upon.... Bless your heart.

Huh? I am not a parent. Who is preying upon me?

As in, "Bless your heart".

Great minds, I hit the enter button too soon and went back to finish the sentence happy.gif

I like puffins.

Puffin? Isn't that what Holly Maddison used to call Hugh Hefner in Girls Next Door?

I take the NCLEX (nursing boards) tomorrow and am soooooo nervous. I really, honestly, don't think that I'm going to pass (not doing so well on my Kaplan tests) and I wish that I could change my test date.

My best friend from school refuses to tell anyone his test date and I finally get why -- if he doesn't pass the first time, he won't have to face the embarrassment and pitying sympathy of failing.

On the bright side, I don't have a job hinging on passing the first time. Maybe I would have studied harder if I had? On the bad side, I've wasted $200 and will have to push back the job search another month or so until I actually do pass it.

/off topic is more interesting

Does anyone else find that nail polish makes your nails look WORSE than just not wearing any at all?

Pic is related:

dave_385.jpg?w=385&h=240&h=240

I hate black nail polish. I know it's a taste / preference thing, but it makes me crazy.

I do, however, like tattoos and have four of them myself.

OH MY GODDESS!

I have to go wash my eyes out with Dr. Bronner's soap and chant the Purusha Sukta 108 times after seeing that photo.

Why oh why did you post it?

Good luck dirtyhippiegirl!!! I'm rooting for you. I'll be taking mine in Dec. or Jan. and I'm sooooooo behind on studying for it.

As for RADMYTH, you creepy little perv, there are some good aspects of attachment therapy. Holding therapy is a crock but counseling people on how to better bond with traumatized children is not an inherantly bad or unproductive thing. Even though I don't plan on adopting for 10+ years, I've already read up on bonding games and activities and have used some of them on my step-niece (who loves them)

Lainey, puffins are adorable!

DirtyHippieGirl, it's been 11 years since I took the NCLEX, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. I had to wait six weeks for my results (they don't make you wait so long anymore) and I was sure I had failed since the machine shut off so early. I literally fell over when I got my results and had passed. You'll do great. And congratulations on becoming a nurse. I've had jobs I liked more than others, but I've never been sorry for chosing that as my career path.

Um...I have no idea. I just like doing the puffin manoeuvre. Nail polish makes my nails feel like they can't breathe. Not that I never wear it, but I rarely wear it. Besides, I want to be the weird one who posts "I like puffins" randomly in threads that need a little change of direction or comic relief, okay!? tongue.gif

Good luck, dirtyhippiegirl!

The Archivist, whozzat?

ETA: The puffin thing started with this thread: http://freejinger.yuku.co....TfV6l1vvaSo for those of you who are new and think I'm just plain crazy. happy.gif

It's Dave Navarro, formerly guitarist for Jane's Addiction...and, apparently, looking more and more ladylike by the day.

Pretty soon, he'll be wearing frumpers and denim skirts.

OMG six weeks! I'd die. Plus, that adds so much more time if you have to retake the test... these days the results are posted by evening the next day although I think they could technically give you the results right after you finish since everything is computerized.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. smile.gif

Oh, thank you. His name sounds familiar. Was he connected with Carmen Electra at one point? I may have read about him/them in a tabloid once upon a time.

Why, yes! I believe they were married, and that she gave him fashion/makeup tips.*

*I made that part up

Black nail polish doesn't bug me if it's well maintained... and his isn't. With such a dark color, polish that's half chipped off is really noticeable!

Well, at least we aren't being prayed upon.

Bats are pretty cool, too.

Also, I got a picture of an elephant getting a pedicure when I chaperoned my son's class to the zoo. That was awesome.

Larry,

we mostly like to make fun of and gossip about off the wall religious fundamentalists. You are probably barking up the wrong tree.

I LOVE bats! I'm after my husband to build a bat house. I hate mosquitoes.

I keep thinking of that song, "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atBg9zLI2bA." It goes something like this:

"I pray your brakes go out runnin’ down a hill

I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the head like I’d like to

I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls

I pray you’re flyin’ high when your engine stalls

I pray all your dreams never come true

Just know wherever you are honey, I pray for you"

This. I don't know what attachment therapy is, nor do I care. Maybe Larry should go start a Yuku board about it.

Dirtyhippiegirl, you will be awesome. I've heard that the Kaplan tests are often harder than the real thing just so you'll buy more books and materials. At least, that's how it was for the GRE. I bet you're more prepared than you realize.

Funny thing, RAD MYTH, that Larry Sarner guy that you claim you had to Google, but who has the same obsessions you do and runs the first two websites you linked to? He's also affiliated with the quackwatch site you just posted, has articles published there, and the site owner helped him, his wife, & daughter write up a paper for the daughter to submit to JAMA.

Still wanna keep playing games, spamming links, and posting sexist and racist comments under the guise that you are a Jewish woman?

1. I don't get the bat love. Ever had to live with them? I did and its not fun, to say the least.

2. I don't know what "JAMA" is (though I'll google it like I've had to google a number of other references from this site), and the first 2 links I gave when coming to yuku had to do with preventing child abuse and deaths. I know that one of those sites is run by a female health professional and I'm pretty sure her name is not "Larry".

3. The other site doesn't seem to have any new content for a while but it has story after story written by adult survivals of "holding therapy". Again, I don't recall a "Larry Sarner".

4. When I googled "Larry Sarner" the links all had the word "psuedo-science" there so I surmise that he's out to expose various practices that try to pass themselves off as scientific and are not, I guess? (I didn't actually click on any link to find out what he's about).

5. As far as www.quackwatch.org, I googled the combination of "Nancy Thomas" + "quack" and got that.

The article about Nancy was the only thing that I read, and I agree with it, WHOEVER wrote it.

6. Regarding making fun of fundies - OK, count me in!

I hear they are trying to push some "young earth" theory in school science classes? What's up with that?

RADMYTH, you just made an enemy for life. Bats are awesome! Even if they do get into my house in the middle of the night and require me to herd my four cats into various back rooms so they don't eat the poor thing.

Also, Batman.

JAMA= Journal of the American Medical Association.

AAAADBQDbmcAAAAAAS_FyQ.jpg?v=1298437432000

ilu

There is nothing in this world freakier than coming home at 1 AM and making your way through your empty apartment and getting to your bedroom door and having a BAT fly in your face.

Also, I love puffins.

I had a bat fly down my chimney and into my bedroom where it hung upside down, just like a... TV BAT! I love bats, living in the woods you especially appreciate all the bugs they eat.

AthenaC - there is a Carly Simon song about coming home drunk from a party and having a bat fly in your face. I haven't heard it in years but your post reminded me of it!

I concur valsa, bats are awesome and our heros. We love cheering on the little cuties every night and I can't wait to get my own bat house. Bats rule!!!

Radmyth, you do not rule so may a thousand bugs buzz and whine in your ear while you sleep. Bats are amazing creatures of God.... no wonder you hate them.

And they never attack or bite humans?

Humans attack and bite other humans, doesnt make all of them eeebil... Generalizations are of the devil!

I like bats just fine when they are outside and eating mosquitoes. If one ever got in my house, I think my cat would be welcome to it, however, she is so fat and lazy I doubt she'd even try. LOL

That being said, I heard somewhere that bats were reducing in number because of some sort of disease, or fungus, or something.

I was in Austin, TX a couple of weeks ago and under a bridge there lives a huge bat population in the spring and summer (around 1 million, depending on the time of year). They come out around dusk every night to feed and it's pretty amazing to see them all swooping around as close as about fifteen feet above your head! It was a really cool experience if anyone is in the area.

Who can still hear bats? I can't, at 49, but my daughters can.

Archived