IGNORED

Bunions: latest feminine must-have

2xx1xy1JD

Latest fashion news says that pointy-toe shoes are back in style.

http://www.thestar.com/life/fashion_sty ... trong.html

So, does it really say powerful, put-together and feminine? Or is it an unnatural shape designed to give women foot deformities?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/neal-m-bli ... 68646.html

Meanwhile, I'll continue to grab square-toe shoes with reasonable heals. There is a reason that I tend to go from boots straight to sandals. Life is too short to hobble in painful shoes.

They went away? Pretty much every shoe company has been making at least one style of pointy toe shoes for at least the last 10 years.

Ugh. Only recently have my feet begun to recover from all the pointy toe heels I squeezed them into in my late teens and early 20s. At least now it is possible to find round and square toe heels - at one time I remember it seemed that only pointy ones were available.

If you have bunions, you need only one word: crocs. I know, I know, but they are so comfortable, and they even make them in fashionable styles (though not pointy toed stilettos.)

For example:

41Cv4QMg1lL._SL160_SS80_.jpg

If you have bunions, you need only one word: crocs. I know, I know, but they are so comfortable, and they even make them in fashionable styles (though not pointy toed stilettos.)

For example:

41Cv4QMg1lL._SL160_SS80_.jpg

Or Birks.

They've been in fashion for ages. Christian Louboutin is the most well known shoe designer these days & almost all of his shoes are pointy toed.

I'm probably a rarity, round toed heels KILL my feet. I find a pointy toe or almond toe much more comfortable. Especially with a set of Insolia insoles in them.

Two-and-a-half-inch heels were part of my corporate uniform for nearly a quarter-century. I'm not a petite person but the extra height helped immensely to put me eye-to-eye with most men back when women in management was a rarity in my industry & field.

IOW, I have no problem with reasonably high-heeled shoes for women. What offends and startles me is reports that open-toed shoes are now pretty well verboten. I wouldn't be able to wear my sling-back, open-toed -- the only style I could wear, thanks to unusually hard-to-fit feet.

All that said, even in 2013 my guess is that it's counterproductive for women in most corporate settings to wear stilettos and cockroach-killers (get it? You can squash a cockroach in a corner with the pointy toes!). Anything that makes a person unsteady in her - or his - bearing in the commercial / corporate world is NOT gonna be helpful.

Anybody want to talk about bare legs and skirts at work? ;)

I winter, my uniform at work is black tights, knee-length black pencil skirt and knee-high black boots with square toe and 2 in. heel.

In summer, I keep the skirt, skip the tights and wear nice but comfortable sandals. No nylons.

http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-loop in grey lizard.

If I have to go to court and wear the whole bat cape (formal barrister's robes), I've been told that sandals are somewhat frowned upon so I wear my only pair of real closed-toed heels, which are Aerosoles with an elastic ankle strap, square toe and wider heel.

I need to be able to stride with confidence, and even run to court on occasion. I cannot be stumbling, or wearing the sort of things that will kill my feet. If I'm in court, I might be spending the entire day on my feet. Impossible shoes strike me as a method of keeping women down by deliberately making it hard to be confident and active - sort of a modern update on foot binding.

I used to wear pointed toe heels all the time as a young adult. They were what felt comfortable. After I had kids, I couldn't even remember how to walk on them. I've slowly built back up to lower heels and can wear stilletos but prefer a thicker heel now.

However, it took my daughter to show me why I was wearing those pointy high heels all of those years. She's a teen and been wearing pointed toe heels since I would set her loose and let her wear heels. It's because she's Aspie and does not feel comfortable walking on the heels of her feet. She can hide the quirk by wearing pointy heels and look fashionable instead of weird. I suspect I have some of the same sensory issues she has and I was doing the same thing. I distinctly remember not knowing HOW to walk on my heels as a teen. I could only walk comfortably on the balls of my feet.

So as much as I know the pointy toes and high heels are supposed to be bad for feet, I not only let her wear them, but I intentionally buy them for her. Girls at school admire her balance to walk on such heels all day at school, and she gets to be fashionable instead of weird. I tell her dad that the heels can't be worse on her feet than simply walking on her balls and I eventually learned how to walk on my heels and I expect she will too.

These days, I have ONE pair of stilleto style heels. They are my special shoes for dates with DH. Otherwise, I wear sensible shoes. In fact, I am in nursing and actually genuinely wear Crocs (work shoe variety) to work now. The rest of the time I wear flilp-flops unless it's too cold to get away with them.

Or Danskos.

Or slippers.

I have neuropathy , so no heels for me ever. :( Sucks. So many cute shoes out there...

Meh...husband has bunions. As do both of his parents and his crunchy granola neo-hippie yoga freak Birkenstock wearing sister. His doctor said they are hereditary, not caused by shoes.

Expensive pointy toed shoes generally are made with a wider bed for the toes and the point part is extra shoe. Cheap ones, not so much.

I find I can wear any shoe comfortably as long as it has a real arch support.

I have wide feet so wearing pointy toe heels will hurt my toes. I'm much better off with square toed shoes.

I also have high arches so I prefer wearing something with a small heel or shoes with really good padding.

I wear a 9 1/2 or 10 so the shoes with the extra pointy in the front make my feet look like a weapon. On a side note: Manolo Blahnik will be at the NYC Bergdorf's in person today from 4-6. I don't know if he'll be signing shoes or what.

I wear a US women's size 13 wide. I have flat feet, an ankle that's been broken twice, and I walk around 5-6 hours a day. So... yeah... I ain't wearing pointy shoes or heels anytime soon.

Or Danskos.

Or Fluevogs. Seriously the most comfortable heels I've ever owned and they're funky, so I get lots of compliments.

But I do also love my Danskos.

I once had a Director who had a plaque in her office reading, "Life is too short to wear shoes that hurt"--and she was one of the most chic women there. Gotta agree with that sentiment.

Two-and-a-half-inch heels were part of my corporate uniform for nearly a quarter-century. I'm not a petite person but the extra height helped immensely to put me eye-to-eye with most men back when women in management was a rarity in my industry & field.

IOW, I have no problem with reasonably high-heeled shoes for women. What offends and startles me is reports that open-toed shoes are now pretty well verboten. I wouldn't be able to wear my sling-back, open-toed -- the only style I could wear, thanks to unusually hard-to-fit feet.

All that said, even in 2013 my guess is that it's counterproductive for women in most corporate settings to wear stilettos and cockroach-killers (get it? You can squash a cockroach in a corner with the pointy toes!). Anything that makes a person unsteady in her - or his - bearing in the commercial / corporate world is NOT gonna be helpful.

Anybody want to talk about bare legs and skirts at work? ;)

Sure. I'm for, do it all the time. Of course, I'm a paralegal and there's no promotions in my world.

I once had a Director who had a plaque in her office reading, "Life is too short to wear shoes that hurt"--and she was one of the most chic women there. Gotta agree with that sentiment.

Love that.

Let's just say I'm happy all my jobs have been "behind the scenes." No dress code, other than "nothing that can get caught in machinery" for some jobs. Sneakers all the way.

That said though, for a while (possibly still now? Haven't been back lately) in Japan EXTREMELY pointy shoes were in fashion. I won't wear 'em in a million years but I didn't even like the look of the things on other people. I was joking with my mom, all you need to do is curl up the end a bit and put a bell on it!

Most of those extreme points though were "extra shoe" as someone pointed out upthread though. Lots and lots of extra shoe. Pointy extra shoe...

Fluevogs! MIgosh, they've finally happened: Shoes with heels with rounded, roomy toe boxes! Yaaaaay!

rward, thanks for casting your vote for bare legs at work. My vote is "con," and yes, I *do* know how uncomfortable & hot & constraining & expensive pantyhose can be. Hear me out? ;)

(after 10 minutes' fruitless typing) Y'know what? If you don't mind, I'll post more in the morning. If I try to do it now, it'll put us all to sleep. :o

I'll read ya tomorrow, but I haven't bought pantyhose in years and don't plan to do so any time soon.

Back in 1987, though, I did wear long skirt, nylons and closed-toed flats to my first office job. I could have passed as a fundie, but that was the style back then.

rward, thanks for casting your vote for bare legs at work. My vote is "con," and yes, I *do* know how uncomfortable & hot & constraining & expensive pantyhose can be. Hear me out? ;)

(after 10 minutes' fruitless typing) Y'know what? If you don't mind, I'll post more in the morning. If I try to do it now, it'll put us all to sleep. :o

Everyone else can wear whatever she wants, but, unless it's in the blazing heat of summer or a super-casual occasion, I will always wear pantyhose with a dress. I consider them "makeup for the legs." My legs are not my best feature, and I have no wish to display their pasty skin with its odd collection of spider veins, scars, and varicosities to the world, and find it a PITA to rub on leg-tannifier every morning.

I'm 60, dammit, and remember the torture of panty girdles and garter tabs digging into my thighs all day before pantyhose came into general use (with the advent of miniskirts), so pantyhose aren't uncomfortable to me, and give me a smoother line. So I declare myself exempt from the barelegged look by virtue of my advanced age. And I haven't had to shave them in at least a decade--maybe two! Leg alopecia FTW! :dance:

Archived