IGNORED

Crazy Makeup Post

GenerationCedarchip

I guess I'm on my way to hell, as I don't like pink lipstick on me, and I'm saving my Ulta bonus points to be able to get that Urban Decay Naked eyeshadow palette for less than the $60 it normally is. I also like martial arts, bellydancing, and yoga as exercises. One thing I like about yoga is that it helped me recover from a pinched nerve, and bellydancing to me is a great abdominal workout and a lot more fun than crunches. I also get cracked skin between my fingers in the winter, and no amount of praying to any deity is going to fix that, so I use the Blistex in the blue jar at night since it really was the best thing to take care of the issue. I'm not kidding, that stuff works a lot better than any prayer did for me.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In europe they test make up before putting it on the market. The company has to prove it is safe before it is legal to sell.

In the US you don't have to prove anything about a product before selling it (the FDA doesn't interfere w cosmetics unless they make a pharmaceutical claim), and so lots of make up brands are full of teratogens and carcinogens. That is a good reason to be anti-make up.

An Elegant Lady is compassionate, especially towards the poor and needy, those who through no fault of their own are suffering in this life.

Bolding mine. Presumably, when the globe as we know it becomes Elegant Ladyworld, anyone who might have contributed in the slightest to the difficult circumstances they find themselves in becomes ineligible for compassion. Because that sounds really Christian.

*headdesk*

Even at the height of my fundiedom this woman would have made me roll my eyes.

I was always taught by the ladies in my church that if you wanted to wear makeup, it SHOULD be nudes/mattes for correcting flaws and highlighting features. We didn't want to draw attention to how much makeup we were wearing because that was considered immodest. I guess we didn't want to look like we were wearing makeup even when we were.

And pardon my language, but she is completely full of shit about the skin thing. I drink something like 6 cans of coke zero a day, i've been smoking for the last year and I eat like crap. I mean seriously, every over-processed boxed or fried food you can imagine. I have an awful diet.

You know how often I get breakouts? MAYBE once every couple of years. Skin condition is largely a genetic issue. You either hit the jackpot with skin or you don't. I'm not saying that diet and health can't improve or deteriorate SOME people's skin, but every person i've ever known with a skin condition has tried dang near everything with little results.

I had severe atopic dermatitis (from my scalp and face to my toes, and everywhere in between) from age 18 to about 25-ish, and I did indeed go tanning a lot in those years, and went a few weeks ago to rid myself of a stubborn small breakout. That and massive amounts of prednisone (hellooooo, weight gain!) were all that worked for me. I'm claustrophobic as hell and hate the tanning bed with a passion, so I was miserable no matter what I did. I wouldn't wish what I went through with the rashes, infections, painful creams and ear drops, cortisone injections into the most stubbornly painful areas, the sheer dread of bathing because you know it's going to be extremely painful, the toll it takes on your sex life, the desperation in visiting new dermatologists in hopes that this one will cure you, stares and rude comments from people, and the still lingering scars on anyone. Not to mention the mental anguish that comes along with it all.

That woman has no idea about the copious amount of work that goes into a daily skincare regimen for those of us with skin issues. No idea. The color of eyeshadow I wear is the least of my concerns. I'm just happy to have eyelashes again after dealing with them continuously falling out due to the eczema on my eyelids. Fuck her.

edited for riffles

I've had atopic dermatitis my entire life, so I understand how you feel more than I really want to. It's the least of your concerns to want to be "elegant"when you're in screaming pain doing things like walking and moving. I didn't do the tanning thing, but if it works you fucking do what you need to so you can exist. I also prayed for years for divine help for my skin. Didn't seem to do much. Honestly, when I stopped being active in the religion I was raised in I seemed to get better. I think it was one less stress factor in my life. Oh,and better medical care from a real doctor.

I think the ideas that this blogger are just so full of delusions I don't even know where to start. The criteria of her elegant lady is this weird mish-mash of imagined Victorian behavior and a bad '50's stereotype. There is no way a person could ever live like that.

Even at the height of my fundiedom this woman would have made me roll my eyes.

I was always taught by the ladies in my church that if you wanted to wear makeup, it SHOULD be nudes/mattes for correcting flaws and highlighting features. We didn't want to draw attention to how much makeup we were wearing because that was considered immodest. I guess we didn't want to look like we were wearing makeup even when we were.

And pardon my language, but she is completely full of shit about the skin thing. I drink something like 6 cans of coke zero a day, i've been smoking for the last year and I eat like crap. I mean seriously, every over-processed boxed or fried food you can imagine. I have an awful diet.

You know how often I get breakouts? MAYBE once every couple of years. Skin condition is largely a genetic issue. You either hit the jackpot with skin or you don't. I'm not saying that diet and health can't improve or deteriorate SOME people's skin, but every person i've ever known with a skin condition has tried dang near everything with little results.

I think hydration and washing is important to skin care. But I think hydration improves overall health, and washing is just a good thing to do.

I had horrible acne from 11 to late teens ish. I still struggled with acne as an adult, until I went on birth control. I wasn't going on it for acne issues, but it was a damn good side affect.

From the second link posted (Exposing the darkness and telling the truth.)

The Truth as given to us in the Holy Scriptures is being suppressed and hidden today, more than ever before. This blog, is a layman's attempt, to dare to set the record straight and to speak the Truth, in love.

Holy comma abuse batman. SOTDRT fail, right 'ere.

And then, a paragraph and run on sentences later, we get this:

One simple ordinary sunny day can turn into a game changer and change the course of our lives forever. Think about 911.

I do, actually. I think all the time about how I'm grateful it's there, and then I realize I'm even more grateful that I've never needed to use it.

Think about all those people who were never saved, who never acted on what they had heard concerning the Gospel and then suddenly one day without warning that opportunity was forever taken away.

By 911? Really? How is this possible?

For them, the condition they died in will be set for all eternity.

Remember that, kids: If you have cancer when you die, you will have it for all eternity. Where's that finger wagging smiley when I need it?

They died in their sins without Christ. Whether they fully understood it or not, the penalty for sin is death.

Pretty sure I'm going to die anyway, regardless of whether or not I sin.

This site is a gold mine of snark.

Definitely a gold mine.

Because men are gay due to women not being feminine enough:

There's a reason these gays are doing this. As the women are becoming more masculine the men are becoming more feminine, round and round it goes and the world keeps getting uglier. So is the reason more are turning to a gay lifestyle because they are starved for beauty and so they're trying to fill that need in themselves? Maybe yes, and maybe no, but if you'll notice, there weren't as many gays years ago when beauty was still around, and women dressed and acted like women.

So there you have it. We started wearing pants and nude lip gloss and cause homosexuality. Makes perfect sense.

Or there were just as many gays as there are now, only they stayed in the closet because there werent laws to protect them from asshats like her. But let's go with the nude lipgloss thing. That makes more sense.

I love this: "You may think you have the worst skin in the whole world, but all skin can be improved by sincere prayer to God, and with disciplined, consistent, daily attention, and also by putting a stop to things that abuse it - specifically going to tanning beds, excessive exercising, sugar addiction, smoking etc."

Who knew?

If I pay "disciplined, consistent, daily attention" to my skin, it breaks out as if I were 14 instead of 42. The only thing that works is not touching it ever with anything. Even doctor-recommended hypoallergenic cleansers will make me break out. Even eating the kinds of things we normally eat with our hands is problematic because if I can't make it come apart into little bites, the food might touch the area near my lips and then BAM, breakout. My cleaning regimen: Stand under the showerhead, water not too hot, and let the water run down my face without touching it at all. Touchups during the day: Splash with water. Also a beeswax lip balm as needed and as little sunscreen as I can get away with.

Human variation: it's a thing that exists.

The whole pink and white and ruffly and beskirted and passive definition of femininity--isn't it just diagnostic of a little teener whose mom still cleans her room? It's like living in a Laura Ashley illustration. That's probably where she got it. Fun fact: Real "elegant ladies" have to deal with sick cats, incontinent children, head colds, and mud.

I'm baffled she's in her 30s, I could have sworn she was a SAHD in her teens...I wonder what kind of life she leads. How can an adult woman write such ridiculous nonsense?

And she's so obsessed with cleaning and smell! OCD?

She thinks dust itself would give up bad odours to the air, when surfaces are not wiped down every day and other such nonsense. Must be really sad to have nothing to do with your life but clean the house and clean yourself.

The last thing she doesn't even like! The CHORE of washing your hair, indeed! I wash my tailbone-length hair under the shower, put conditioner in the lengths, towel it a bit and let it dry. Such a chore, my whole time is taken up by it!

And she's obviously never heard of the concept of "benign neglect" in body care, because too much interference and products can upset skin, scalp and hair. I've also inherited a mild form of cystic acne from my father, and my skin looks best if I clean it with a very mild cleanser and apply only oil on the still moist skin.

Welp, I guess God does not favour us blue eyed women, seeing as we are best suited to bronze tones!

and I wear my Urban Decay naked palette pretty much every day. Father forgive me :roll:

The comparison pictures are funny since the "feminine" one uses nude tones too! Light lips, bright eyes, rosy cheekcs - can't see glittery pinks and neon there!

Definitely a gold mine.

Because men are gay due to women not being feminine enough:

So there you have it. We started wearing pants and nude lip gloss and cause homosexuality. Makes perfect sense.

I think she's on to us, ladies. We stop wearing make-up, turn the men gay and then take over the world. Simple!

I think she's on to us, ladies. We stop wearing make-up, turn the men gay and then take over the world. Simple!

World Domination time? I'm down. Dibs on the legal department.

I have an overly red complexion. I should wear nude make-up to tone down the red, but I am way too lazy for it. Most days I just wear eye make-up and that I do as a sign of mourning, not to look male or feminine. However, I'm seriously for the first time considering tanning simply because I am desperate for relief from the Psoriasis that developed after my son died. I have it under control on my body, but it takes half an hour twice a day to apply all the lotions and ointments that keep it healthy. I don't have it under control on my head and sunlight is the BEST method to treat this stuff. I'm just ultra-scared of tanning beds and frankly don't have a clue how to add more obnoxious time to my regiment if I try it. The doctor offered me phototherapy for the Psoriasis and I just groaned at the thought of it.

I have an overly red complexion. I should wear nude make-up to tone down the red, but I am way too lazy for it. Most days I just wear eye make-up and that I do as a sign of mourning, not to look male or feminine. However, I'm seriously for the first time considering tanning simply because I am desperate for relief from the Psoriasis that developed after my son died. I have it under control on my body, but it takes half an hour twice a day to apply all the lotions and ointments that keep it healthy. I don't have it under control on my head and sunlight is the BEST method to treat this stuff. I'm just ultra-scared of tanning beds and frankly don't have a clue how to add more obnoxious time to my regiment if I try it. The doctor offered me phototherapy for the Psoriasis and I just groaned at the thought of it.

May I ask about the highlighted? I've never heard of that and was curious. (I always love your posts, btw, they are always so thoughtful.)

Wait a moment, this poor woman is in her thirties?!

And she considers standing under the lovely lovely blissful hot water a chore?

And she thinks she can get the dust out of the air--really?

Wow, that's sure diagnostic of . . . something.

I know that tanning beds are the new(ish) evil, but I don't feel very good if I don't tan 2-3 times a week in the winter. I'm just miserable. My skin gets this weird texture where it is, somehow, both extra greasy and dry. The tanning dries up the overproduction of oil, making me feel much better. Adding the tanning lotion in, and no more dry skin! I like it, and I think that the newer tanning beds are probably safer than the sun. Plus vitamin d! Of course, I live in a location where December-January-February we can go days/weeks without seeing sun due to the clouds + 4 hours of daylight. :lol:

TL;DR whole topic :oops: and I bet this has been noted before, but:

The "masculine, bare-faced" look was also a look of determination

The "feminine" look was one of sweetness and agreeability

No surprises there, but sure bears mentioning, JMHO.

My big concerns with tanning beds are that I have a strong family history of skin cancer AND I have super fair skin, plus I have never tanned in my life. I skip over tan and go directly to lobster.

As for the eye make-up for mourning, it's my own personal choice. I have very pale skin (always have to use the lighest tone of make-up or I look neon) and hazel eyes. The dark eyeliner makes my eyes look green, which is what they look like when I have been crying. I first did it the day after Micah died to mask my crying. Initially I thought I would do so in lieu of the period of mourning and wearing black that our society doesn't understand nor accept anymore. At this point, I feel like I'll simply do so until my heart hurts less...and right now it's not hurting any less since this was his birthmonth and 8 months since we lost him. Instead of thinking about when I will stop, I just buy more eyeliner now. I may never stop. I'm not sure I can fathom a day in my life when having buried my son won't hurt, so I cannot fathom a time when I wouldn't need to mask the possibility of tears yet again. Tears make people uncomfortable. Dark eye make-up is something no one would notice unless they knew me before he died, and if they knew me before then they wouldn't need to ask why I'm doing it now.

I am very sorry for your loss, chaotic life. That is truly tragic :(

Well, for some people hair washing might be a chore... my friend is African American and has textured hair, and she says that it takes two hours to wash her hair. She said it's like that for most people with textured hair, but I wouldn't know personally (me=pasty white chick who would probably benefit from some natural makeup).

Personally, I hate showering. I hate everything I need to do in the shower; to me it is a chore, even though it's not very hard, nor time consuming. I just hate doing it.

Archived