IGNORED

Littlest Pecan Thief: Priscilla & David Waller's Baby

happy atheist

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes with you on that. China possibly? I can see the need to have to do it in some countries. Wanting to do it on the other hand would not be for me. But whatever floats the boat as the saying goes.

I think the urge to potty train early a child or not is also very cultural. For example, in France we have free public preschool, starting from 2 1/2 year old. 97 % of French children attend preschool at 3, even if it's not mandatory, but to attend preschool one must be fully potty trained, so in France a 3 year old still in diaper is highly uncommon.

When I first start to read American mummy blogs years ago, I was really surprised to see the very relaxed or even non existent approached to potty training. I didn't know you can have a child still in diaper at 3 or 4, because this doesn't exist in my country... Unless the child has special needs of course, but I'm talking about neurotypical children here :)

Of course, potty training doesn't include plumbing lines, nor any hitting of the baby :naughty:

My 2 oldest (girl and boy) were trained at 2 and in preschool at 2 1/2 and my youngest was trained at 2 1/2 and in preschool at 3.

So, the cultural thing is essential here, IMHO !

The fact that she is holding up the Ezzos book proudly does not bode well for little Paul, I'm afraid. :( David, PLEASE do your research. Babies have died due to this nonsense. (And I address that to David b/c I assume Prissy isn't allowed on the internet.)

I loved GCM when I was trying to learn a new, gentle way to parent. Haven't been there in years, but I can't see Priscilla there. I think she's way too ATI FTW.

I hope all those relatives are staying in a hotel!! And I hope that whatever meal they were sitting down to was cooked by her in-laws!!

Did anyone else see what I meant about how he goes all "talking to preschoolers" voice when he shares the baby's name??

I think the urge to potty train early a child or not is also very cultural. For example, in France we have free public preschool, starting from 2 1/2 year old. 97 % of French children attend preschool at 3, even if it's not mandatory, but to attend preschool one must be fully potty trained, so in France a 3 year old still in diaper is highly uncommon.

When I first start to read American mummy blogs years ago, I was really surprised to see the very relaxed or even non existent approached to potty training. I didn't know you can have a child still in diaper at 3 or 4, because this doesn't exist in my country... Unless the child has special needs of course, but I'm talking about neurotypical children here :)

Of course, potty training doesn't include plumbing lines, nor any hitting of the baby :naughty:

My 2 oldest (girl and boy) were trained at 2 and in preschool at 2 1/2 and my youngest was trained at 2 1/2 and in preschool at 3.

So, the cultural thing is essential here, IMHO !

It's cultural and it changes with time. I think the US perspective on toilet training used to be more like the French one you describe. However, in recent decades, attitudes seem to have become more relaxed and the tendency for many parents is toward letting the child train in their own time. (There are also those who'd argue that the pediatricians giving this advice have tight financial relationships with diaper companies that want to make more money from having kids in diapers longer...) Another big reason for the later age of training is that disposable diapers have become more common than cloth, and when the child wears a more absorbent disposable, it's harder for them to tell when they are wet because the moisture gets pulled away from their skin more quickly.

It depends so much on the kid though, too. I'm told that I was toilet trained around 2, but my younger sister held out until well after she was 3 and also did fun tricks like refusing to poop for days at a time rather than go on the toilet. My own 13-month-old wears cloth diapers about 80% of the time, so I'm hoping that helps him take after me and not his aunt...

The fact that she is holding up the Ezzos book proudly does not bode well for little Paul, I'm afraid. :( David, PLEASE do your research. Babies have died due to this nonsense. (And I address that to David b/c I assume Prissy isn't allowed on the internet.)

I hope David does research on the Ezzos, but I doubt it. There were two comments that cautioned them on using the Ezzo's methods, but most of the comments were gushing about how wonderful Baby Wise is and how their children thrived being on a schedule. :puke-left:

I hope David does research on the Ezzos, but I doubt it. There were two comments that cautioned them on using the Ezzo's methods, but most of the comments were gushing about how wonderful Baby Wise is and how their children thrived being on a schedule. :puke-left:

And children DO thrive on being on a schedule of some kind (nap time), but to schedule feedings when they are infants just doesn't seem right to me. I knew a woman when my oldest was an infant and she would leave her infant at home with her husband in order to attend social functions in her 3-hour window between scheduled nursing. I didn't know it at the time, but I guess she was probably following Ezzo. She always acted so "in control" of her life and I was a little envious. I either took my baby with me on social occasions or just didn't go out because I was dead set on nursing and no formula for my baby. Again, it's all personal decision and what works for your family. But I can't imagine denying an infant food when they are hungry.

Elimination Communication is not so much about training the child as it is about training yourself to recognize the cues they give when they are about to go. Its about being more in sync with your child and there would never be punishment involved. I've seen it done but never would do it. Ain't nobody got time for that.

If the Pearls believe in early potty training then it's the kind where you literally train and punish the child.

Ever since I read the baby's name, all I keep hearing is Campdown Races except it's ' Pauly Wally all day.'

Well, that got my song parody juices flowing:

The Gothard ladies sing this song,

Waller, Waller

Poor Prissy will work hard and long

All the Waller day.

CHORUS: Goin' to pray all night

Goin' to preach all day

I bet that David is a whining nag

Somebody bet that he's gay.

Oh, the naïve lady and the horse's ass,

Waller, Waller,

Had to get pregnant, so it came to pass

On one Waller day

CHORUS

He saw a field when the day began,

Waller, Waller,

He came back home, pockets full of pecans

On that Waller day.

CHORUS

I rather like Polly Wolly Doodle better, though: 

Well, I went down south for to glean some nuts,

Sing Pauly Willie Waller all the day.

It takes no brains but lots of guts,

Sing Pauly Willie Waller all the day!

CHORUS: Are they well (are they well)?

Bound for Hell (bound for Hell )?

Faring well or hiding gay?

Well, I'm gone to Gothard's HQ to see David reading GQ,

Singing Pauly Willie Waller all the day!

Oh poor Prissy is a maiden fair

With her modest glance and her Gothard hair

CHORUS

A new bride sittin' on her private loo,

Pissin' on a stick Dave will show to you,

CHORUS

Behind the barn, down on my knees

I thought I heard poor Prissy sneeze

She sneezed so hard and she had a cough

But still took her walk, she got no day off

CHORUS

I went to the nursery, opened the door

Thought I heard a "dumb" sheep snore

It was only poor Pauly saying a prayer

Hoping they won't blanket train him, if they care,

CHORUS

And pre-eclampsia is ALWAYS a reason to deliver in hospital, if possible natural, otherwise a C-section. It doesn't matter if you are taken care by a midwife of a OBGYN, if you have symptoms of pre-eclampsia you always go to the doctor for a check-up.

Not to beat a dead horse, but it's not that cut and dry. I do a lot of volunteer work for The Preeclampsia Foundation. The symptoms are not always recognized. Headaches, nausea, swollen ankles...that could be any pregnant woman after 35 weeks. My blood pressure was normal for my entire pregnancy and my urine wasn't showing protein until the morning I delivered. I had no other symptoms prior. HELLP syndrome can occur during delivery and immediately postpartum with no prior symptoms.

I totally agree otherwise about the level of training that is accepted for midwives in the US, but I stand by my belief that a hospital birth is the safest.

This makes me want to cry for that little baby. My only hope is that I don't see Michelle being into the Ezzos at all (Is she?) if for no other reason that she's too lazy to schedule, so maybe they'd see from her that it's not necessary?

Eta: I feel so strongly about this. Early on, my husband and I took all the Ezzo's classes. We even went to a conference and met the Ezzos. Then our son was born and it didn't feel right at all. I listened to my instincts and left it all behind.

I know we've already been over the video, but I have to talk about it again. I've tried twice to watch it all the way through and just can't. I don't know if it's the nerves of being on camera or natural slowness or whatever, but Priscella is not all there. And David's ridiculous speeches are all just so fake and put-on. It's like watching a couple of children play house.

I have seen that phrase David used, "eat the meat, spit out the bones" used by Gothard followers on other sites and topics. I think it is just their condescending way of brushing off any criticism. What they are actually saying is, "I'm much smarter/Godlier than you and if you weren't such a heathen dolt, you would appreciate and embrace ___(Gothardism, Ezzo, Pearl's books, etc,) I seriously doubt that the new parents will depart from anything Ezzo says - unless Bill specifically tells them that they should. Poor baby!

And pre-eclampsia is ALWAYS a reason to deliver in hospital, if possible natural, otherwise a C-section. It doesn't matter if you are taken care by a midwife of a OBGYN, if you have symptoms of pre-eclampsia you always go to the doctor for a check-up.

Cute baby, and I'm glad Priscilla is looking so well afterwards. There should be a houseload of Duggars visiting soon.

Just speaking for myself, but the last thing I'd want after giving birth would be a visit from the Duggars, although it would be an excuse to punch Smuggar in his fat maw and then blame it on being a weak woman overcome with post-partum hormones.

I have seen that phrase David used, "eat the meat, spit out the bones" used by Gothard followers on other sites and topics. I think it is just their condescending way of brushing off any criticism. What they are actually saying is, "I'm much smarter/Godlier than you and if you weren't such a heathen dolt, you would appreciate and embrace ___(Gothardism, Ezzo, Pearl's books, etc,) I seriously doubt that the new parents will depart from anything Ezzo says - unless Bill specifically tells them that they should. Poor baby!

You made me curious about that so I googled "eat the meat spit out the bones" and found that Lewis at Commandments of Men has a great article from 2011 about how the fundies' obsession with that phrase is unhealthy. Really good article (like all of his are): thecommandmentsofmen.blogspot.com/2011/05/spitting-out-bones.html

"A healthy spiritual diet should reject ANY meal that has as much bone as meat, but sometimes we need to tend to the emotional damage of poor diets past to be able to see as much. "

Did anyone else see what I meant about how he goes all "talking to preschoolers" voice when he shares the baby's name??

Yes, it came across as very condescending, almost like he considers his audience to be like the sheep ("dumb animals," as Priscilla called them) of Paul's nursery theme. If "talking to preschoolers" is the way that David regularly talks to Priscilla, and I suspect it is, I don't know how she stands it. She must have a tremendous ability to keep sweet. :roll:

I loved GCM when I was trying to learn a new, gentle way to parent. Haven't been there in years, but I can't see Priscilla there. I think she's way too ATI FTW.

I hope all those relatives are staying in a hotel!! And I hope that whatever meal they were sitting down to was cooked by her in-laws!!

Given their wedding vows, Priscilla is likely to hold the computer passwords and actually be the only one with free Internet access.

I hope she was in favor of having a gaggle of David's siblings downstairs playing a board game while she was in labor.

I thought the Waller siblings arrived after the birth, but according to the photo description, they were playing the board game when labor began. It makes sense because David looks alert and his hair is coiffed in the board game photo whereas he looks exhausted and his hair isn't perfect in some of the other photos.

For a 12 hour period between labor and the video, Priscilla sure had several shirt changes...

Is there any chance that David saw a birth video prior to Priscilla's labor, or was that all new territory for him?

Paul is such a cute baby and at least he has a normal name. Priscilla seems so out of it but I think David did seem genuinely caring. But his husbandly affection seems so forced - he doesn't love her as his wife, just as a friend he's been forced to marry. Very sad, for both of them.

At least he approved my comment which means he read it:

Congrats David and Priscilla on your beautiful baby! I am so glad to see you will be guided by the Holy Spirit and God’s design for our bodies instead of just following a book. God’s design is perfect! HE designed babies to communicate their needs to us. When the baby is hungry, Priscilla can nurse him, which is so healthy for them both. Jesus modeled such love and compassion and grace and I know you will provide that for your baby instead of the dangerous methods made up by MAN. Congrats again!

Paul is nice though I'm a little surprised he wasn't given a family name, since they kept William (for Gothard?) as a middle name.

At least he approved my comment which means he read it:

Damn you're good! You say the right thing in a way they can accept.

Paul is nice though I'm a little surprised he wasn't given a family name, since they kept William (for Gothard?) as a middle name.

I think William is a family name on Priscilla's side.

Archived