IGNORED

Lori on Harlots and Modesty

Not that I want to take charge or anything but I definately think we need a Trumpet. All good bands need some brass.

I think we should let Lori be our guide; if it would upset Lori, it's in. Therefore, no Violin, Cello, Harp, Flute or Piano. These seem to be considered ladylike by most fundies so they fail. Electric Violin, Electric Cello and Synthesizer would get a pass provided amps are turned up so loud they distort. Flautists will be allowed in if they are prepared to play Piccolo as that is definately not ladylike. Pretty much everything else would be in. I don't think fundies play anything else do they.

Can I also suggest that our dress standards be; must be showing some thigh, must be showing collar bones, cleavage strongly encouraged but not essential, no layering under any circumstances.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a comment by Ken, written last year:

. . . a Christian husband who has a wife or children who are not under control, and are unwilling to be submissive, may have godly license to be quite firm in his requests of his wife or kids, and may use whatever loving means he deems appropriate to try and manage them or rule them.

In response to Lori, here's a link to the poem "My Short Skirt" by Eve Ensler

people.tribe.net/33d8c955-ff04-4435-a575-2be347552ed9/blog/861f003c-39a5-4e7b-85c9-3f2726585167

Here's a comment by Ken, written last year:

I think this speaks volumes. It's just a damn shame that Ken didn't come up against a woman that had the guts to put him right back in his place.

I still don't excuse Lori though. She's an adult and could have walked away from all of this mess. Her children had no such luxury. The pain she put them through (literally) is 100% her responsibility and there is no excuse. To hit a child with a "leather strap" as she calls it, is pure vile. Lori talks about evil all of the time, but I think hitting your own babies is the definition of evil. I think encouraging other mothers to hit their children is vile. I think encouraging women to be doormats is vile.

I've got to think this is a joke. From Lori's facebook:

Many women will surrender their whole lives to alcohol, some ideology, money, careers, ambition, or politics long before they would think of surrendering to their husbands

Can you tell Becky about that? She hasn't surrendered nothing!

Surely not I thought to myself. Surely this man isn't talking about his wife on a social networking site. So, out of curiosity I looked at his (very public) friends list. A woman with that first name and his last name is listed. He is seriously tattling to some shrew on fb about his wife. Run Becky, run!

Firstly, another volunteer here for Rebellious Harlots of Babylon. No need for modesty here on freejinger so I can tell you I'm pretty hot on the electric Violin but can also get by on Bass Guitar, Keyboard and Drums. I'm an average singer but might be useful as a backup vocalist.

Back to Lori; Ruth & Naomi spring to mind too. It was a pretty big deal for Ruth to stay and look after her mother-in-law Naomi, instead of returning to her own people after the death of her husband. I'd also love to remind Lori that in Proverbs we are told that a good wife invests in real estate and organises for it to be farmed without the help of her husband.

Don't forget about the story of Tamar, who basically saved the tribe of Judah by dressing up as a harlot in order to trick her father-in-law into knocking her up. [Judah is all set to declare that she's a slut that deserves to die when he sees that she's pregnant, but she had some of his belongings that proved that he was the father. At that point, he suddenly declares "she is more righteous than me".]

I really want to be in this band. I can sing and play trumpet or piano. Also, if someone would make a Rebellious Harlot of Babylon tshirt, I would buy it.

I have absolutely no musical talent, but I could write some kick-ass lyrics.

I can play flute, tenor sax, oboe, keyboards, djembe, and dununs, to provide some background complexities to this RHoB project. :character-beavisbutthead:

Uh, women have always been on the front lines during wartime - either as soldiers or support staff, or as victims. There's not a whole lot of other options - y'know, not a lot going on besides killing and dying - in an active war-zone.

And also Lori is saying 'feminism' teaches women to be both independent and so beholden to the male gaze that they dress like "harlots" to attract attention. Once again, women can do no right.

This. It's always the woman's fault. :evil:

I want to learn to play guitar just so I can form a band called Rebellious Harlots of Babylon.

I don't think Lori's read that much of the Bible. As I recall, there were quite a few women who were assertive, independent, and demanding of their rights. Sarah, Miriam, Deborah, Judith, Jael, Esther, the daughters of Zelophehad . . .

ooh don't forget Michal!

Not that I want to take charge or anything but I definately think we need a Trumpet. All good bands need some brass.

I think we should let Lori be our guide; if it would upset Lori, it's in. Therefore, no Violin, Cello, Harp, Flute or Piano. These seem to be considered ladylike by most fundies so they fail. Electric Violin, Electric Cello and Synthesizer would get a pass provided amps are turned up so loud they distort. Flautists will be allowed in if they are prepared to play Piccolo as that is definately not ladylike. Pretty much everything else would be in. I don't think fundies play anything else do they.

Can I also suggest that our dress standards be; must be showing some thigh, must be showing collar bones, cleavage strongly encouraged but not essential, no layering under any circumstances.

As far as dress standards go, I think we should keep in mind the weather. If I wore that outfit here in Michigan right now (with the possible exception of collarbones) I'd freeze, and layering is part of my survival.

That does sound like a good summer uniform. How about we not wear any skirts/dresses?

How about we not wear any skirts/dresses?

I think a few people might want to go skirts only--no tops, just skirts--maybe a bikini top? Or, not.

:D

For the Rebellious Harlots of Babylon, I propose we wear outfits based on Beyonce's Super Bowl outfit since Lori was saddened by Godless Beyonce's performance which she didn't even watch. I also propose we cover one of Beyonce's songs and dedicate specifically to Lori.

i'm reading rhob as "real housewives of babylon", somehow i got off track!

i have no musical or singing talent. can i just stand off to the side and throw my undies on stage instead?

This is my costume;

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=vane ... 140%3B1587

Found for me by my very supportive husband.

For those in the northern hemisphere who think it is too cold, I suggest we just turn up the heating.

For those who don't play an instrument, most professional bands require far more non-musical than musical members to make a show happen. WE NEED YOU. (My last theatre show had 3 people off stage for every musician and singer.)

I have decent boobs, but the rest of me isn't looking so hot right now. Until I lose weight, I think I'll wear a low-cut muumuu, if that's OK.

Homer_muumuu.jpg

I also have no musical skills, but the muumuu will be comfortable for helping set up the stage.

No musical talent here. I can channel my former angry youth punk rock self and make some destruction in a pit.

I fully support the Rebellious Harlots of Babylon t-shirt idea.

I have decent boobs, but the rest of me isn't looking so hot right now. Until I lose weight, I think I'll wear a low-cut muumuu, if that's OK.

Homer_muumuu.jpg

I also have no musical skills, but the muumuu will be comfortable for helping set up the stage.

Oh, I am this shape ^^ but hubby says he wants to see me in the wings, knickers and nothing else. (This thread has actually led to 24 hours of very naughty text messages between us.)

Edited to add: if ones headship suggests wearing defrauding clothes in public, is it a bigger sin to wear the defrauding clothes or to refuse to do what the headship commands?

Does Lori only post on telling women what to do? Or does she ever post other useful stuff- like what diameter PVC pipe I need to beat my toddler with?

I can play the kazoo with one is needed for the band BTW;)

Count me in. I can bang a triangle. :D

If my "more cowbell" skills aren't up to speed, I can always use my experience writing about pop culture, including music, to do PR and marketing for The Rebellious Harlots of Babylon. And I'll wear a bellydancing hip scarf to defraud the menz.

Archived