IGNORED

Doug "The Tool" Phillips Sings A Duet

justlurking

Creeps me the fuck out!

vimeo.com/59454915

What's up with the excessive petting?

And really Doug...singing at your damn Film Festival is the equivalent of climbing icebergs and floating on glaciers and all the other adventures that the boys get to partake in simply because they were born with a penis?! Doug Phillips is such A TOOL!

So the girls are upset that they don't get to go do fun stuff too. And he is claiming that singing this song is just like taking his daughters on a "hazardous journey." :roll: I'm just surprised he wasn't in costume. And yes, the way he kept touching her was creepy. It was beyond a normal dad being proud of his daughter.

It looks like he is petting her, major squicks.

Having said that, she did an admirable job, that song is a hard one to sing. With the proper training with a proper voice coach she would make a decent singer.

It looks like he is petting her, major squicks.

With the proper training with a proper voice coach she would make a decent singer.

That is what I thought. I wondered about the "she asked him 4 days before the event...." (it is his event) and why they were both using pieces of paper with the words on it... and I'm assuming it was a recorded accompaniment?

Was he mouthing the words along with her when it was her part? He kept moving his mouth around when she sang.

Was he mouthing the words along with her when it was her part? He kept moving his mouth around when she sang.

Its like the singing version of reading and moving your mouth... CONTROL ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like he called Faith "my sister" - Freudian slip, you think?

I've always loved that piece of music, afraid that even with the young woman's evident natural talent, it'll be a while before I get the nasty of image of Doug out of my head when I hear it.

Telling, wasn't it, that the intern in charge of editing the performance couldn't give Faith her own one-shot,but had to use the camera angle that showed her and her daddy.* Doug's a screen time hog!!!

*I only watched about half the song (listened to the last half while writing this), so maybe she did get the screen all to herself at some point.

Nope, song will never be quite the same again, dammit.

Faith actually has a decent voice... she only really began to falter at the very end. Isn't one of Dougie's sisters an opera singer or vocalist of some kind? Their use of notes/paper during the song was really distracting. As a musician, I found it very unprofessional of them and wondered why they didn't just use music stands to hold their music/lyrics. That's the standard practice among vocalists if they haven't had sufficient time to prepare and/or they worry about forgetting the lyrics. Constantly looking down and twisting the paper in their hands was just annoying. And pulling back from the mic and looking down/to the side is a bad habit that a vocal coach would correct immediately.

And oh my, the constant touching was disturbing.

Sounds like he called Faith "my sister" - Freudian slip, you think?

I've always loved that piece of music, afraid that even with the young woman's evident natural talent, it'll be a while before I get the nasty of image of Doug out of my head when I hear it.

Telling, wasn't it, that the intern in charge of editing the performance couldn't give Faith her own one-shot,but had to use the camera angle that showed her and her daddy.* Doug's a screen time hog!!!

*I only watched about half the song (listened to the last half while writing this), so maybe she did get the screen all to herself at some point.

Nope, song will never be quite the same again, dammit.

No, Faith never really got the screen to herself. At one point towards the end she even started to sing and he was the only one visible (and smirking, I might add). They cut away pretty fast and got back to a shot of both of them but the camera should have been focused on her since she was the principal vocalist. *sigh* Maybe if her dad was anyone other than Doug Phillips....

One of Dougie's sisters is an opera singer: facebook.com/alessandra.rossifilippi?fref=ts. Sometime last year she changed her name to Alessandra Rossi Filippi from Alexandra Phillips. Before she moved to Europe she performed & taught voice/music at private schools in the D.C. area. Here's her bio from her personal website:

Alessandra Rossi-Filippi, Soprano, gains recognition for her vocal and theatrical versatility both on the operatic stage as well as in concert. Her repertoire ranges from music of the early baroque to opera and contemporary chamber music. As a featured soloist, Alessandra has had the honor of performing at The White House, The Kennedy Center, and at The Piccolo Spoleto Festival USA. She is a graduate of the Eastman School of Music, and received a Master’s Degree in vocal performance from The University of Tennessee. Alessandra was most recently seen nationally on NBC’s presentation of the “Kennedy Center Honors.†Alessandra is looking forward to performing the role of Konstanze in Die Entführung aus dem Serail for the Metropolitan Opera Guild at Lincoln Center in August 2012. Other operatic roles she has performed include Olympia in Les Contes D’Hoffmann, Lucia in Lucia di Lammermoor, Thais in Thais, Die Königin der Nacht in Die Zauberflöte, Amy March in Adamo’s Little Women, and Mabel in Orlando Ballet’s production of The Pirates of Penzance.

In the DC area, Alessandra has been a soloist with the Washington Arts Club, the Great Noise Ensemble, Congressional Chorus, Interact Theatre, Washington Savoyards, Washington Choral Ensemble, Friday Morning Music Club, the Paul Hill Chorale and the Master Chorale of Washington, and has been a guest singer/speaker on NPR.

Oratorio highlights include Bach’s St. John’s Passion, Bach’s St. Matthew’s Passion, Saint-Saens’ Christmas Oratorio, Haydn’s Creation, and Mozart’s Coronation Mass, Messiah, Poulenc’s Gloria, and Schwantner’s Sparrows.

No mention of a headship there.

Dougie's other sister is Jennifer Phillips (http://www.facebook.com/jennifer.phillips.96?fref=ts) who is on the stage in NYC. Neither one is or has ever been married.

I'd love to think that their aunts are an inspiration to the older girls Liberty, Jubilee, and Faith who, you might think, would notice the cognitive dissonance between what their father says and what his sisters do.

Oh, and Doug Phillips Is A Tool.

ETA the following photo of the daughters with their (and Dougie's) mother. Photo taken when the mother received some award from Phyllis Schlafley:

1491rl.jpg

Dougie should cut the pretense next time and just have Faith sing "I've Written A Letter to Daddy"--Baby Jane dress and all. It wouldn't be any less creepy and at least all the attention would be focused on him.

I can't believe I'm about to type this but here it goes.

That video reminded me of Smugger and Anna, the courtship weeks.

That. Was. Just. Weird.

I hope Faith runs away and goes to live with her Opera Aunt.

Creeps me the fuck out!

vimeo.com/59454915

What's up with the excessive petting?

And really Doug...singing at your damn Film Festival is the equivalent of climbing icebergs and floating on glaciers and all the other adventures that the boys get to partake in simply because they were born with a penis?! Doug Phillips is such A TOOL!

You know, I am actually afraid to watch this video.

I'm so glad I passed out two hours into the live broadcast of the Film Festival--the Rick Santorum appearance was more than I could stand. Doug (Phillips who is a tool) singing would probably have sent me completely over the edge.

Doug's behaviour is very strange. I can understand trying to comfort your daughter, what with her probably be being nervous on stage and all, but as others said, this goes beyond that. The part where is strokes her hair and arm once she starts singing is the strangest...

Also, I remember seeing another video with Faith in it, and Doug's behaviour toward her was similar. He doesn't seem to treat all his kids the same way- the oldest daughter he completely ignores, for example. Funny thing is, I remember reading (a long time ago) on Doug's blog that Faith was the most 'rebellious' of his children and got beaten more than any of them. Maybe his special attention towards her is him making sure she is kept in line.

Gross.

No...seriously.

I don't even...I'm actually at a loss for words.

Ew. Ewwww. What the fuck is the matter with this guy?

QFT. The family dynamics on display here are appalling.

He can't keep his hands off her. Just leave the poor girl alone and let her sing!!

And wtf about perilous journeys or whatever the brand is? The girls complain that they don't get to do exciting things that take them outside their comfort zone. So Dougie (the tool) decides the answer is to let her take HIM outside HIS comfort zone. It's not a perilous journey for her - she can sing and has performed before. It's yet another experience for HIM.

Wow, my first thought is how Faith has grown. She's just a bit older than my daughter and all along they've looked about the same age, but suddenly she has matured.

Doug Phillips was my gateway to all that is Patriarchy and it is fascinating watching as his children grow up and he pushes them into the limelight. I do remember the entry about how poor Faith seemed to get more spankings than the others.

I was really disgusted with the reasoning given for the performance. I well imagine that the girls are jealous because they don't get to go on Hazardous Journeys, but I also suspect it is because the journeys look fun and exciting and you get to travel to interesting places rather than because they really want to test themselves. And of course, even if that were true, Doug's "solution" was hardly a solution as, the way he presented it, he wasn't pushing his daughter (though she did look uncomfortable up there -- all that touching, perhaps?) to test herself, but allowing her to push him. One could suspect he was just trying to come up with a reason to show off his daughter's talent.

Also, who was that woman with him at the beginning? Becky Morecraft? They aren't related, are they? Because she certainly looked like she was snuggling up to him.

I thought it was Doug's wife at first because of the way the woman at the beginning was all up against him.

I think that Doug is acting like he thinks a proud father would act, but he isn't actually a proud father, so it is totally unnatural and creepy. He doesn't know how to let his kids shine while standing back and giving them his support. It has to be about him all the time.

Wow, there are so many fallacies in this whole presentation:

1) Doug acknowledges a certain injustice of girls not being allowed on Hazardous Journeys. Interesting.

2) But instead of working on that and offering the girls an alternative within his framework (a trip of their own, whatever), it's all about him. About him 'confronting his fears' and stealing the limelight. This is not about her. She's only a prop. What, after all, is her 'Hazardous Journey'?

3) Then the fondling. I am sure most teenage daughters would feel uncomfortable with that, especially then and there on stage. Again, it's all about him.

4) She really does sing quite well! I do think it is lovely that she gets to develop and showcase that talent.

5) Andrea Bocelli? Really? Is this the faux-aristocratic feel that VF wants to give to their event? How about a proper classic piece? It's just pop with a classic veneer. (Mind you, I love pop and don't care for classical music, but it's just the pomp of it!)

I don't mean to snark Faith's experience at all. She did a fine job. I just resent that Doug hijacked his daughter's talents and needs for his own PR agenda.

I know it's OT, but don't the Phillips have another daughter called Liberty? What a cruel thing to name a fundie daughter!

Also, who was that woman with him at the beginning? Becky Morecraft? They aren't related, are they? Because she certainly looked like she was snuggling up to him.

Yes, that's Becky Morecraft who is also of the 'Do as We Say, Not as We Do" school since her daughter Mercy goes to college.

I very rarely comment on Doug Phillips (is a tool), but that just made me feel uncomfortable and icky. I hope at least a couple of people there gave him some serious side eye. Maybe a visitor or someone merely holding the kool ade?

Archived