IGNORED

Retro Saturday Morning Shows

roddma

I mean live shows, not animation. Land of the Lost was a fav of mine. Anyone remember Electra Woman and Dina Girl and Isis? Then there's the famous "Shazaam!' Most of the plots were campy and predictable.

I mean live shows, not animation. Land of the Lost was a fav of mine. Anyone remember Electra Woman and Dina Girl and Isis? Then there's the famous "Shazaam!' Most of the plots were campy and predictable.

Loved these shows! I have very hazy memories of them, but still remember wanting so much to be Isis!

I think these were also featured on the Krofft Super Show (??).

The 1970's Land of the Lost Oops forgot about the 1990's one. I thought the revamped one wasn't bad. "Saved By the Bell" could be retro ,too since it started in the mid 80's with Haley Mills. The shows got better. I don't consider Carmen Sandiego retro.

My sister who's 11 years older than I am found common ground with me in Pee-Wee's Playhouse in the mid 80s. Laurence Fischburne as Cowboy Curtis... good times!

Land of the Lost (90s), Carmen Sandiego (though not retro), Hercules & Zena! (Didn't the last two start on Sat mornings?) Now, though, I almost can't stand to watch my old favorite shows. One of the few that holds up from childhood is Mr. Rodgers. Ooh, and MASH, though I suppose that never showed on Saturday morning. Not even Star Trek: TNG held up over the years.

I don't think my tastes/sophistication has changed that much (kid to 30 yrs old), I read many of the same books I did then - what the heck? Is there anything that still appeals to yall?

I know I'm showing my age but cartoons and Saturday mornings kid show pretty much SUCK now to the high heavens!!

No imagination or originality. I know by today's standards these are pretty lame but in the minds or many who still can originate a thought in their head....although memories fade, this is what i grew up watching on Saturdays and Sundays before church.

Tom Slick, Heckle and Jeckle, Woody Woodpecker. Deputy Dawg, Roger Ramjet, Underdog, Mister Jaws, Pink Panther, the Oddball Couple, Hoot Kloot, Tijuana Toads, The Ant and the Aardvark, Crazylegs Crane, The Inspector, the Bugaloos, Far Out Space Nuts, Land of the Lost, The Wonderbug, Lidsville, Dr. Shrinker, Bullwinkle, Commander McBragg, Klondike Kat, James Hound, Sidney the Elephant, Hector Heathcoat, Cool McCool, Speed Bugy, Willie And The Chopper Bunch, The Anthill Mob, Yogi Bear, Ark II, (Remember (A word From Unity)) CBS - In The News, Schoolhouse Rock, Big blue Marble, Mulligans Stew, Groovie Goolies, Space Academy, Shazam and Isis Hour, Any Tex Avery Cartoon!, Captain Kangaroo....you get the picture.

I Know kinda weird but it was my childhood; sometimes i wish i could go back to those Saturdays but it's nice to reminisce, the new cartoon just don't do anything for me and wont hold the same memories for todays kids as my old cartoons do for me.

Tom Slick, of course you'd name Tom Slick first on your list! A couple you didn't mention: George of the Jungle and Jonny Quest. My brother and I loved Jonny Quest, but then we're old enough to remember Clutch Cargo, the first adventure cartoon, and the live action shows Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, Sea Hunt and Adventures in Paradise. One of our local stations shows Sea Hunt late at night. No wonder I've always been drawn to the sea!

When my girls were little we watched Pee Wee's Playhouse with them. We didn't want to censor them and loved Pee Wee's subversive humor. We also watched Dr Who on Saturday afternoon. That was back in the Tom Baker days. My daughter still remembers that.

www.toonopedia.com has lots of great information about even obscure cartoons.

Archived