IGNORED

Do you think older, unmarried SAHD's see a gynocologist?

Justme

Women like Sarah Maxwell and Jana Duggar. They should have a yearly Pap smear and breast exam. Do you think they wait until they are pregnant before seeing a gyno for the first time?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine they go if there's definitely something afoot, you know? But probably not much otherwise, maybe a checkup before marriage just to make sure everything is in order before they begin a lifetime of holy bonage and childbearing. Although I'm sure some, like Bria Crawford, will just be taken to the vet.

Honestly, I do not do this, either. I am unmarried, but really no SAHD. Just see no reason to. I am not seually active, do my own breast exams, so yeah... might be a tiny bit risky, but I am willing to take that.

I was always told that girls should start seeing a gynecologist when they become sexually active or turn 18, whichever comes first. I doubt that SAHDs go to them, and I hope that doesn't lead to anything serious. Reproductive health problems can happen independently of sexual activity.

I don't know, I'm 19 and only go to the gynecologist to get my medications sorted. I have no reason to have a pap smear, and I thought you didn't have to have breast exams until you were 35?

I hate going to the gynecologist as it is, please don't tell me I need to get all this other mess done.

My great-aunt never went to the gynecologist and she ended up dying pretty young of ovarian cancer. My sister had cervical cancer cells in her mid-20s. So it's important to go. Here I'm saying this and I'm barely going for the first time in August. I'm 23 and have an almost-2-year-old. I have "issues" though so... yeah. Not looking forward to it (in fact I have a panic attack almost every day knowing that it's coming soon. I wish they'd just put me to sleep!).

My great-aunt never went to the gynecologist and she ended up dying pretty young of ovarian cancer. My sister had cervical cancer cells in her mid-20s. So it's important to go. Here I'm saying this and I'm barely going for the first time in August. I'm 23 and have an almost-2-year-old. I have "issues" though so... yeah. Not looking forward to it (in fact I have a panic attack almost every day knowing that it's coming soon. I wish they'd just put me to sleep!).

If you're not sexually active, it's not as important to go. Cervical cancer is almost always caused by hpv, and a regular pap wouldn't find ovarian cancer. I was told I really didn't need to go in until I was sexually active.

If you're not sexually active, it's not as important to go. Cervical cancer is almost always caused by hpv, and a regular pap wouldn't find ovarian cancer. I was told I really didn't need to go in until I was sexually active.

Cervical cancer runs in my family not from sex but by genetics. The women in my family start going in early to mid teens,years before sexually active and have had treatments that save our lives and fertility. If it runs in your family then it is very important to go as a young woman.

true, cervical cancer is due to HPV (which is an excellent reason to consider the vaccine as HPV is pretty ubiquitous) - In canada the recommendations are to start Pap smears within 3 years of sexual contact (the recommendations vary by country ). Pap smears do not detect ovarian cancer - in fact we do not yet have a good screening method for detection of ovarian cancer which is one reason why this cancer is often detected late.

edited to be clearer

Is a pap-smear supposed to hurt really bad during the procedure? When I had mine done, the pain was almost intolerable. And I had some pain after--for a day or two. Is that normal?

Is a pap-smear supposed to hurt really bad during the procedure? When I had mine done, the pain was almost intolerable. And I had some pain after--for a day or two. Is that normal?

No, it should not hurt that much - if the pain is that bad please check back with your doctor

I have a feeling that they might not go to gynecologists. I think Jana probably isn't going to one especially since Michelle only talks to her daughters about menstruation when they are 12.

Here in the UK you only see a gyne if there is a reason to see one. Smears are done at the GP's or well woman clinic, there is a big emphasis on self exam for breast checks and contraception is given at the GP or family planning clinic. You only get referred to a gyne if there is a problem. Maybe they just see their family doctor. Another thing here is that smears are only recommended if you have begun to be sexually active.

Is a pap-smear supposed to hurt really bad during the procedure?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. If it does, and it is being done by a gynecologist, tell him/her when and where it hurts. If it's a regular doctor, s/he might not be very experienced in the procedure, which might be part of the problem. Don't be shy either way - it should definitely not be painful, particularly to the point of lasting two days afterwards. The doctor needs to know, so s/he can rule out any other problem that might be causing the pain.

I've never had a Pap smear "hurt" - maybe a twinge when they take the swab, but no more than that. And no discomfort afterwards at all.

You should really start doing regular breast exams at about 18. It's not a big deal, do it in the shower. More and more younger women are being dx'ed with breast cancer and it's treatable. Even women with no family history are getting it. To me it's better safe than sorry.

I'm 58, post menopausal and had a baseline pap last year. I'm good for 3 years. I have terrible times with them anyway, my uterus is tipped and even using the smallest speculum I am screaming. But I need to be vigilant so I'll go and get it done.

No, it should not hurt that much - if the pain is that bad please check back with your doctor

My general practitioner did my pap-smear (not a gyno-doctor). He knew it hurt cuz I was yelling the whole time. I asked him if it hurt for other women too and he said he sometimes puts women under with laughing gas (something like that), so they don't feel it. I don't think I would want to be put under during a pap-smear. I probably won't be having another pap-smear for a really long time if that's what it's gonna to be like.

My general practitioner did my pap-smear (not a gyno-doctor). He knew it hurt cuz I was yelling the whole time. I asked him if it hurt for other women too and he said he sometimes puts women under with laughing gas (something like that), so they don't feel it. I don't think I would want to be put under during a pap-smear. I probably won't be having another pap-smear for a really long time if that's what it's gonna to be like.

Yikes! If this guy is having to put people under so they don't feel it, it sounds like his technique must be awful. Still, you might want to get checked out by a gyno for the pain to rule out any infections.

Is a pap-smear supposed to hurt really bad during the procedure?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. If it does, and it is being done by a gynecologist, tell him/her when and where it hurts. If it's a regular doctor, s/he might not be very experienced in the procedure, which might be part of the problem. Don't be shy either way - it should definitely not be painful, particularly to the point of lasting two days afterwards. The doctor needs to know, so s/he can rule out any other problem that might be causing the pain.

I've never had a Pap smear "hurt" - maybe a twinge when they take the swab, but no more than that. And no discomfort afterwards at all.

I had not had any gyno-type exam for years and years. So, honestly, I couldn't remember those exams were like. I remembered discomfort, so I was ready for some pain--but nothing like this. I asked this doctor if he had the gels and warmers for instruments like I'd vaguely remembered the other doctor having. He just laughed and said it would be over quickly and to not worry about it. And I did remember it being somewhat uncomfortable that last time (years before). But I don't remember it being so incredibly painful like it was this time. It made me never what to go to the doctor for a gyno exam ever again. I was literally yelling and screaming the whole exam.

Ok this thread is really scaring me... :|

Sorry to scare you...this doctor (from what everyone says here) is probably too rough and it's not normal for it to hurt so much.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't, since many of them still blame the woman for barreness and any problems (e.g. Michelle Duggar blaming the miscarriage on her taking birth control rather than something that may be due to no fault of her own like chromosomal non-disjunction and the like) relating to human reproduction. No doubt they feel that virginal women couldn't possibly have anything go wrong with them, but after having sex, it's another matter entirely.

In the UK (Scotland), women receive invitations from the NHS for cervical screening beginning at age 20. It doesn't matter whether the woman has had sex or not, that is when she is invited in (and in Scotland, it's more like a nag, in that if you refuse to go in, they'll keep nagging you). Women like Jana Duggar would be invited in also, although I wonder how a Scottish version of Dimbulb Duggar would deal with it.

Supposedly after a normal pap smear and pelvic exam, women are not invited in again for 2-3 years. My wife gets rather annoyed at those invites, but goes in anyway. I didn't understand the reluctance until after she became pregnant with our son, and she began dragging me in with her. I don't mind being there for support, although the implements they use for the examinations are rather scary looking. And I thought having a testicular ultrasound was horrific.

And yes, we males get those invites/nags too. I've had more of them then most other blokes since I've played both rugby and football in my youth, and supposedly we're hernia patients waiting to happen.

Yikes! If this guy is having to put people under so they don't feel it, it sounds like his technique must be awful. Still, you might want to get checked out by a gyno for the pain to rule out any infections.

My problem is my insurance pays for you to go one place and changing places is a major hassle. And now that the exam is done and I was found to have no cancer or any other problems, I think I'll just switch medical centers later (maybe when the next gyno-exam is due). So--thank goodness--at least I was found to not have any health problems in that area. IF I ever have another pap-smear, I'll switch places--to be sure!

I am so sorry for your bad experience. It should not have been like that. I used to be a family doctor before I switched specialities and I have done so many pap smears I have lost count (I did almost exclusively women's health care) and I have NEVER had to use laughing gas EVER. If a woman had a serious physical abnormality (eg female circumcision,severe arthritis in their back/hips etc) then very special care and preparation (possible even referral to a gynecologist) might be needed but I can tell you as a fact I have never had a patient yell/cry/suffer during a pap smear. Please do not give up on pap smears - they really do save lives, instead consider: finding a new doctor.

From what I've seen of the fundie blogs, I would be surprised if most of these families have health insurance. They would have to buy their own and it's EXPENSIVE. (I am speaking from personal experience here; I can only afford catastrophic coverage and I'm only buying for myself, not for a spouse and umpteen children.)

Archived