IGNORED

How to write letters to a husband that doesn't exist

formergothardite

:lol: I used to keep tons of journals as a kid/teenager. When I went to college I went through them and nearly died of mortification. They were all burned - and I have never felt happier or more liberated. Thank goodness my husband never saw them - the tedium may very well have killed him if he didn't run far away first.

I guess I'm firmly on the geezer side of the generation gap, because I think that this is how your most deeply personal musings should be recorded. Paper journals are unhackable and it is very easy to reduce them to a state that no defragger in the world could fix. Raquel, kiddo, sometime in the next decade or so you're going to become familiar with the term "old shame." At least I hope so! You'll understand why when you get there.

I suppose the affirmation is a big part of it. But she's getting her affirmation almost entirely from a claque of other kids--or, as a previous poster noted, from creeps. Has anybody seen any suggestion that Raquel has an adult mentor?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in order to be the proper fundie woman (or man, actually) who never looks at another person and thinks they're attractive, who never kisses, hugs, or has sex with a member of the opposite sex until marriage, who dresses 'modestly' for their future spouse, who throws all of their time and energy into becoming the wo/man God "wants me to be," and believes divorce is a mortal sin...

You'd have to be fucking psychic. And frankly, that isn't possible.

Love letters to nameless, faceless, non-existent future men are... well. I don't even know what to call that.

I don't get this. Why write letters to someone who's not in your life yet? Many teenage girls fantasize about their future husband, and talk about or write in their diaries their dreams of what this man should be like, but letter writing must be a fundie thing, a crazy thing, or both.

Maybe God isn't giving her a husband or husband to be yet because the last time he gave her a living thin(a horse), she didn't really take care of it. Potential future husbands, take note.

Because nothing says personal and I love YOU than generic attributes that you would love about any man who you married. :roll:

Yeah, I was wondering how you're supposed to write about things you love in another person when you haven't even met said person :?

I guess I'm firmly on the geezer side of the generation gap, because I think that this is how your most deeply personal musings should be recorded. Paper journals are unhackable and it is very easy to reduce them to a state that no defragger in the world could fix. Raquel, kiddo, sometime in the next decade or so you're going to become familiar with the term "old shame." At least I hope so! You'll understand why when you get there.

I suppose the affirmation is a big part of it. But she's getting her affirmation almost entirely from a claque of other kids--or, as a previous poster noted, from creeps. Has anybody seen any suggestion that Raquel has an adult mentor?

Oh, I still keep journals - but the ones I burned were so full of boy-crazy (and yes, letters to boys I never dared to talk to) and downright silly I would never have been able to face anyone who found and read them. I figured I was better off burning them.

Also, I quite agree - the internet is forever and it is really not wise to record such deep and personal feelings on it. And yes, she does seem to have a thing for seriously creepy guys. I hope she doesn't end up abused later on in life. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

This is so weird. Writing love letters to an existing SO? Sweet. Writing to your future husband in advance of a wedding you know is going to happen? Great. Writing to someone you don't know, may never know, and have no idea what he might be like? Weird.

btw as a self obsessed teen I used to write my journal to O'Brien

delusions of grandeur

though there was never much boy crazy in it

Today's post is about how to deal with falling in love with your best friend. Her advice is to not have close friends who are guys. Except for her, she has already made it clear with her guy friends that she isn't interested in them romantically so this won't happen to her. :roll:

I am a bit unsure about the rules for links on this board, so I added (dot) to these links.. just remove it and they should work.

An easier way to break the links is to delete the "http://www." before the address. It breaks the link and makes it easier for people on phones to copy and paste the link.

Archived