IGNORED

Book Club

Bethella

Have you guys thought of starting a Free Jinger Goodreads book club?

You can start your own and have discussions and keep track of what you are going to read

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you guys thought of starting a Free Jinger Goodreads book club?

You can start your own and have discussions and keep track of what you are going to read

I am wary of going off site due to the issues that cropped up with the facebook groups; but if enough other people want to we could try it.

Edited for grammar

Personally, I'd rather stay here for Book Club, if only because I read recently that GoodReads is planning to get more aggressive in selling its aggregated users' information to third parties a la Facebook.

Personally, I'd rather stay here for Book Club, if only because I read recently that GoodReads is planning to get more aggressive in selling its aggregated users' information to third parties a la Facebook.

I would too -- if we're talking about a book club here, I think the book should be discussed here, rather than having to go to another place to discuss.

So I've been AWOL for a few days, and will for a few days more -- do we know what we're reading first, and when the discussion would begin?

Maybe the discussion thread (eta -- could be started) by whomever finishes the book first could be, "Book Club Talk:

" ... thoughts?

ETA again -- D'oh, Bethella; just saw your post. My old eyes skimmed past it. :oops:

I just started Escape and it's depressing so far, but quite good. This is my third autobiography by a lady who escaped FLDS. The other two were by Irene Spencer and Elissa Wall. Both were excellent.

Edited because numbers don't make great substitutes for letters.

I just started Escape and it's depressing so far, but quite good. This is my third autobiography by a lady who escaped FLDS. The other two were by Irene Spencer and Elissa Wall. Both were excellent.

Edited because numbers don't make great substitutes for letters.

I read Escape in one night, I couldn't put it down, but then for some time after I was quite down. It is pretty horrifying stuff. She has a follow up as well called Triumph.

I might check out the other books you've read, as the FLDS is my pet subject.

(I also posted in the other Book Club thread, as I saw it first, so apologies for the kinda double up)

I read Escape in one night, I couldn't put it down, but then for some time after I was quite down. It is pretty horrifying stuff. She has a follow up as well called Triumph.

I might check out the other books you've read, as the FLDS is my pet subject.

(I also posted in the other Book Club thread, as I saw it first, so apologies for the kinda double up)

I read Escape in one day too! Starting at work, where I shouldn't have been reading. At least I work in a library.

• 2 weeks later...

:text-bump:

Bumping so people remember to finish reading Escape by Carolyn Jessop for this Friday, March 1st. I'm looking forward to the discussion!

March 1: Escape by Carolyn Jessop (15 votes)

March 15: The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally As Possible by AJ Jacobs (14 votes)

April 1: A Stolen Life by Jacyee Dugard (13 votes)

April 15: Quiverfull by Kathryn Joyce (13 votes)

May 1: Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright (13 votes)

May 15: Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer (11 votes)

June 1: In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible and How it Changed a Nation, a Language and a Culture by Alister McGrath (10 votes)

June 15: Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by John Krackauer (10 votes)

July 1: Was America Founded as a Christian Nation?: A Historical Introduction by John Fea (10 votes)

July 15: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (10 votes)

I finished the Jessop book a while ago and am ready to go. I need to get the next book from the library, though.

I finished re-reading it about a week ago. And then I returned it to the library, which in hindsight was not very smart, but oh well. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

• 3 months later...

I just found out about this book, which was published last month. If we do another round of book club I will definitely suggest it: http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Belief-Sec ... 1580054420

Beyond Belief addresses what happens when women of extreme religions decide to walk away. Editors Susan Tive (a former Orthodox Jew) and Cami Ostman (a de-converted fundamentalist born-again Christian) have compiled a collection of powerful personal stories written by women of varying ages, races, and religious backgrounds who share one commonality: they’ve all experienced and rejected extreme religions.

Covering a wide range of religious communities—including Evangelical, Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, Muslim, Calvinist, Moonie, and Jehovah’s Witness—and containing contributions from authors like Julia Scheeres (Jesus Land), the stories in Beyond Belief reveal how these women became involved, what their lives were like, and why they came to the decision to eventually abandon their faiths. The authors shed a bright light on the rigid expectations and misogyny so often built into religious orthodoxy, yet they also explain the lure—why so many women are attracted to these lifestyles, what they find that’s beautiful about living a religious life, and why leaving can be not only very difficult but also bittersweet.

That does look interesting.

Archived