IGNORED

More Puritan baby name ideas for the VF crowd

ladyamylynn

I don't think I've ever heard the DAR referenced outside of "Gilmore Girls"! :lol: :D

I'm very curious, did people actually call their kids these names in everyday life? Was the purpose of it to keep Scripture/godly utterances/whatever on everyone's lips all the time? Or did they have nicknames? I guess I can't imagine even the strictest Puritan going around saying, "Good morning, Smite-them-hip-and-thigh." :?

Smite-them-hip-and-thigh could be called Smitty for short.

I'm very curious, did people actually call their kids these names in everyday life? Was the purpose of it to keep Scripture/godly utterances/whatever on everyone's lips all the time? Or did they have nicknames? I guess I can't imagine even the strictest Puritan going around saying, "Good morning, Smite-them-hip-and-thigh." :?

Well, Wrestling Brewster (from Part 1) was William Brewster's kid, and his full name, as I was taught, was Wrestling-with-the-devil. So, probably Smite would have been his nickname.

I imagine Eleazer & Eleazar to both be very serious with a penchant for spending almost all of sunday attending the meeting hall/church.

An Eliphalet(it seems there are several) on the other hand is my ticket into the DAR & I imagine him taking out a few red coats with his pitchfork or musket.

I had a look at the family tree. There is also 2 Moses', an Ebenezer, Mehitable, + a Samuel & Mary in just about every generation. By the early 19th century they started naming themselves after British kings or again with the Mary.

On further investigation I think they might have been congregationalists, so I guess they were puritan?

Mine were a mix of congregationalists, Dutch reformed, and German evangelical. At least one who was raised congregationalist became methodist, which was a big enough deal for a news clipping. The past really is a foreign country to me, in which people speak a little like Bradrick! TM. (E.g., "Well fitted to endure the vicissitudes of the pioneer epoch.")

A guy I work with named True, has a daughter named Precious.

Someone upthread mentioned the name Mercy. Mercy is a common nickname for Mercedes, which is/was a fairly common Cuban (or Cuban American) name.

Onto Puritain names... Here are some I thought of (with a modern twist)

KeepSweet

Fellowship

Somber

Vision

PlumbLine (a take on the biblical plumb line and plumbing line...)

Modest

Countenance

Pisseth

Nike

Ikea

GrahamCracker

Purity/Pure

Virgin

Court

(some of our own names work well)

Blanket (hey, Michael Jackson's youngest is named that)

Trained

Blanket Trained

Tater Tot

I love them all, but you forgot Wisdom and Journey.

Preserved Bullock is all kinds of awesome. Doesn't it sound like something you could get at the asian grocery?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yum!

I bet that Rejoice Lord's middle name was InThe.

Oh, my goodness. I am totally skimming the thread after seeing your link to thehairpin.com! L.o.v.e. And one of the most fun sections (totally OT) is "Scandals of Classic Hollywood:"

http://thehairpin.com/tag/scandals-of-classic-hollywood/

ETA because "the most fun sections" is actually only one "most fun section."

And again. Cause I corrected my grammar incorrectly.

Oh, my goodness. I am totally skimming the thread after seeing your link to thehairpin.com! L.o.v.e. And one of the most fun sections (totally OT) is "Scandals of Classic Hollywood:"

http://thehairpin.com/tag/scandals-of-classic-hollywood/

ETA because "the most fun sections" is actually only one "most fun section."

And again. Cause I corrected my grammar incorrectly.

I knew there had to be other pinners on here! :P

Archived