IGNORED

More Puritan baby name ideas for the VF crowd

ladyamylynn

Did you scroll to the bottom and click on Part !? One gem that caught my eye on that page was "Faithful Teate" :lol:

I would be so not-surprised to see a VF-er name a daughter "Silence."

(If my parents named me Silence, I would be saving up money to change my name to "My Parents Were Assholes." One good turn deserves another.)

How about Doug-Phillips-Is-a-Tool Johnson? The VFiest of names.

(I have an ancestor named Zealous. And several Prudences, and one Temperance. And a Peleg.)

I looked at her "part 1" and she explains it in this way:

"There is the most distinct evidence that during the latter portion of Elizabeth’s reign, the whole of James’s reign, and great part of a Charles’s reign … there prevailed, amongst a certain class of English religionists, a practice of baptizing children by scriptural phrases, pious ejaculations, or godly admonitions."

–Curiosities of Puritan Nomenclature, by Charles Wareing Endell Bardsley, pub. 1888

I actually like some of the one-word names.

Here are some off the top of my head:

Boys:

Jerusalem Ishmael,

Jordan Judeah

and

Aaron Adam.

Girls:

Abigail Anne,

Elizabeth Hannah

and

Mary Veronica.

That's all I can think of for now. ;)

ITA. I mean there aren't a lot I'd actually give an actual child, but still, many of them sound really cool. Like superheroes or something.

Although I'm Australian I do have a NH. 1600s branch of the family. I don't think they were Puritan but they were some kind of fundie escaping religious persecution. They all had biblical names like Eliphalet, Eleazer etc.

I looked at her "part 1" and she explains it in this way:

"There is the most distinct evidence that during the latter portion of Elizabeth’s reign, the whole of James’s reign, and great part of a Charles’s reign … there prevailed, amongst a certain class of English religionists, a practice of baptizing children by scriptural phrases, pious ejaculations, or godly admonitions."

–Curiosities of Puritan Nomenclature, by Charles Wareing Endell Bardsley, pub. 1888

I'm thinking "Pious Ejaculation" would make quite a fine name for some VF intern...! :lol:

Although I'm Australian I do have a NH. 1600s branch of the family. I don't think they were Puritan but they were some kind of fundie escaping religious persecution. They all had biblical names like Eliphalet, Eleazer etc.

*high five*

I've got an Eleazar (misspelled!) in the 1700s. There were a bunch of epistemologically correct Calvin / Grace / Eli / Solomon types, plus so many Jesses I get confused, but then they kind of went Pagan-Classical for a while (Philo, Horace, Orissa, Zenobia).

True fact: I love the name Zenobia.

My great-grandfather's first and middle names were "Royal Calkins." :lol:

In my family in the late 1600s/early 1700s, we had some really good ones:

--Girls--

Freelove (true story, she was born in 1738; there are also two other instances in 1834 and 1769)

Deliverance

Silence

Submit

Mercy

Desire

Nice (as in the word, not the French town)

Patience

Remember

Thankful

--Boys--

Philander (I'm not going to lie, this one is actually a guilty pleasure name for me)

Experience

Preserved Fish (Fish is his surname, he has a sister and mother named Grizzle Fish. Equally amusing is that in the program I use, the names are written as First Name, Married Name, [Maiden name], so his grandmother's name reads as "Mary Fish [sherman]". I digress. There is also a Preserved Hall, but it's not as funny as Preserved Fish.)

Prudent

Consider

*high five*

I've got an Eleazar (misspelled!) in the 1700s. There were a bunch of epistemologically correct Calvin / Grace / Eli / Solomon types, plus so many Jesses I get confused, but then they kind of went Pagan-Classical for a while (Philo, Horace, Orissa, Zenobia).

True fact: I love the name Zenobia.

I imagine Eleazer & Eleazar to both be very serious with a penchant for spending almost all of sunday attending the meeting hall/church.

An Eliphalet(it seems there are several) on the other hand is my ticket into the DAR & I imagine him taking out a few red coats with his pitchfork or musket.

I had a look at the family tree. There is also 2 Moses', an Ebenezer, Mehitable, + a Samuel & Mary in just about every generation. By the early 19th century they started naming themselves after British kings or again with the Mary.

On further investigation I think they might have been congregationalists, so I guess they were puritan?

In my family in the late 1600s/early 1700s, we had some really good ones:

--Girls--

Freelove (true story, she was born in 1738; there are also two other instances in 1834 and 1769)

Deliverance

Silence

Submit

Mercy

Desire

Nice (as in the word, not the French town)

Patience

Remember

Thankful

--Boys--

Philander (I'm not going to lie, this one is actually a guilty pleasure name for me)

Experience

Preserved Fish (Fish is his surname, he has a sister and mother named Grizzle Fish. Equally amusing is that in the program I use, the names are written as First Name, Married Name, [Maiden name], so his grandmother's name reads as "Mary Fish [sherman]". I digress. There is also a Preserved Hall, but it's not as funny as Preserved Fish.)

Prudent

Consider

Wow!!! Yours are amazing!

American Sparrow is completely believable for some fundies' next arrow.

Against my better judgement, I think that's a really cute name. :oops:

I imagine Eleazer & Eleazar to both be very serious with a penchant for spending almost all of sunday attending the meeting hall/church.

An Eliphalet(it seems there are several) on the other hand is my ticket into the DAR & I imagine him taking out a few red coats with his pitchfork or musket.

I had a look at the family tree. There is also 2 Moses', an Ebenezer, Mehitable, + a Samuel & Mary in just about every generation. By the early 19th century they started naming themselves after British kings or again with the Mary.

On further investigation I think they might have been congregationalists, so I guess they were puritan?

I don't think I've ever heard the DAR referenced outside of "Gilmore Girls"! :lol: :D

I'm very curious, did people actually call their kids these names in everyday life? Was the purpose of it to keep Scripture/godly utterances/whatever on everyone's lips all the time? Or did they have nicknames? I guess I can't imagine even the strictest Puritan going around saying, "Good morning, Smite-them-hip-and-thigh." :?

I don't think I've ever heard the DAR referenced outside of "Gilmore Girls"! :lol: :D

I'm very curious, did people actually call their kids these names in everyday life? Was the purpose of it to keep Scripture/godly utterances/whatever on everyone's lips all the time? Or did they have nicknames? I guess I can't imagine even the strictest Puritan going around saying, "Good morning, Smite-them-hip-and-thigh." :?

Thats where I first heard about it. I researched it & there is a branch in my city. But I think I have to go to the DAR in Washington DC to prove my pedigree (lol!) & join. Not happening!!

I'm not sure, the way I see it is if you, your parents or grandparents were so firm in their convictions that they were willing to sail across the atlantic in a little leaky boat to a wild land already occupied by some very adept warriors. You would have to be really, really serious about it all. But they might have called them Eli or Mose like Amish people do?

Also i'm secretly hoping that there are fundies who read this forum envying (sin!!!) the fact that the heathens at FJ have such enviable religious ancestors. :lol:

http://thehairpin.com/2013/01/your-2013-baby-name-guide-puritan-edition-part-two

Omg, I cracked up at some of these! Do you think "Meek Beaver" is epistemologically self-conscious enough for Dougie? Then again, he would probably enjoy number 4, Constant Wood, a little more! :mrgreen:

:lol: Sounds like a match made in Heaven.

(wait... don't beavers chew wood?)

Onto Puritain names... Here are some I thought of (with a modern twist)

KeepSweet

Fellowship

Somber

Vision

PlumbLine (a take on the biblical plumb line and plumbing line...)

Modest

Countenance

Pisseth

Nike

Ikea

GrahamCracker

Purity/Pure

Virgin

Court

(some of our own names work well)

Blanket (hey, Michael Jackson's youngest is named that)

Trained

Blanket Trained

Tater Tot

There used to be an NBA player named God Shammgod (changed from his given name of Shammgod Wells, or something like that). Good name for the agnostic crowd, perhaps?

Archived