IGNORED

Ryan Tries To Cosponsor New Personhood Bill

debrand

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... ref=topbar

The personhood bill, first introduced in 2011 by Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.) and reintroduced by Broun last week, specifies that a "one-celled human embryo," even before it implants in the uterus to create a pregnancy, should be granted "all the legal and constitutional attributes and privileges of personhood." Similar legislation has been rejected by voters in multiple states, including the socially conservative Mississippi, because legal experts have pointed out that it could outlaw some forms of birth control and in vitro fertilization as well as criminalize abortion at all stages.

Every time I read something like this, I am grateful I have 4 more years left on my Mirena. Then it scares me like the Handmaids Tale scares me.

Also, it essentially makes miscarriage (which women often have no control over) into manslaughter.

This personhood bullshit is so fucked up. An egg (even a fertilized egg, which the ones we eat aren't) is not a chicken. Which is why I'd be okay throwing an egg at a wall, but I'd never throw a chicken at a wall, because that would be cruel.

These guys just love to bang their heads against the wall. This has been rejected by Americans time and time again. If they can't get this passed in Mississippi, which they couldn't, it should be clear that Americans will not stand for this.

So. If this passes, when are they going to start checking pads/tampons/cups? I mean, we ebil wymmenz have to be taught a lesson if we miscarry God's precious little gift...

What an asshat. I hope he crawls into a hole and rots.

Ugh, this frustrates and scares me so badly.

I don't get it. Even Mississippi rejected this, and that's about as conservative a state as exists. Besides, the enforcement would be a nightmare - every miscarriage would have to be investigated as a potential crime and miscarriage is very common. What would they do? Mandate women take pregnancy tests every month? Mandate physicians to report even the earliest pregnancies so they could be monitored to ensure no foul play? The court system and police are already overburdened as it is, talk about new government spending to fund more cops, new departments, and judges to just deal with this one issue alone.

And it's personal. While I'm not yet to the stage where IVF is what I'll need to conceive, it's becoming a definite possibility. This kind of law (if passed) could severely curtail my options on that front, or cause legal issues for me. Thankfully, I don't *think* it's going to gain enough traction to pass since it couldn't be passed even in Mississippi, but these days with some of the craziness coming from the right, it's still very scary. And I suppose that's why it's so important to keep attention focused on efforts like this, so that it won't turn into the proverbial frog in cold water-turn up the heat situation that these whackjobs take advantage of to get it passed.

Like I said, I don't get it. I'm not telling someone else to go get IVF or get an abortion. All I want is the continued right to make my own decisions about my health situation with the help of my doctors!

Ryan recently voted against a measure that authorizes flood insurance payouts for Hurricane Sandy victims, citing nonexistent pork barrel spending in the bill (so sez Jon Stewart). Maybe if someone informed him that there were embryos/fetuses in NY/NJ, he'd be more likely to offer them the federal aid that they need.

Then again...probably not :|

Good for him! This might not pass but someday a bill like this will and our country will start respecting babies lives and stop killing innocent babies.

"a one-celled human embryo"? Is that even the correct term? I thought the correct term was blastocyst for the earliest stages of development. Because if they're going to introduce these bills, have the presence of mind to use the correct terminology. KTHXBAI

Good for him! This might not pass but someday a bill like this will and our country will start respecting babies lives and stop killing innocent babies.

Are you serious or mocking?

"a one-celled human embryo"? Is that even the correct term? I thought the correct term was blastocyst for the earliest stages of development. Because if they're going to introduce these bills, have the presence of mind to use the correct terminology. KTHXBAI

Blastocyst is more developed. They could either be referring to 2pn or to a zygote. But I'd put money on them not knowing the difference, just like they wrote that ultrasound legislation without realsing you need a vaginal ultrasound to do what they mandated.

OK, just read the bill. They specifically include anything post sperm penetration. So, yes, a 2pn is apparently the same as me. Even though it doesn't have a nucleus, it has two pro-nuclei.

It makes me think of this

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfem ... ement.html

This would mean that any child conceived in the USA would have citizenship, right? Will they ban all foreigners from entering the country on the off chance they might have sex? Or will they welcome the enormous influx of anchor zygotes and their parents?

So. If this passes, when are they going to start checking pads/tampons/cups? I mean, we ebil wymmenz have to be taught a lesson if we miscarry God's precious little gift...

What an asshat. I hope he crawls into a hole and rots.

If this happens, we need to make sure Ryan winds up on pad-checking duty. It will be a more-than-fulltime job, it will keep him from having time to do any further mischief, and it will impress upon him like nothing else the fact that this sort of bill is not compatible with a small-government conservative position.

So Congress has nothing better to do with their time? No budget to deal with, no tax reform, nothing to do with unemployment, homelessness, our crumbling infrastructure, education, help for returning war veterans. . .Just like the previous session when all they could think to do was bring one measure after another to the floor to repeal the Affordable Care Act. At some point I'd think even the teabaggers would get fed up with this behavior.

I hope he is very comfortable with his hands.

Because this bill would make most adult women in the US guilty of accidental and involuntary manslaughter as our bodies just flush out most fertilized eggs. And I doubt the prison system would allow conjugal visits because of the intension to commit more crime. Forget ever having a next generation of children.

At this rate, it's simpler just to outright say that they're trying to make the female reproductive system illegal. Cuts down on the wordiness.

I hate people like this asshat who care more about the "unborn" than they already born. MarthaMarcyMayMarlen, what should the punishment be for women and doctors who get/perform abortions? Wouldn't they fill up the jails? Or should they be killed, which isn't really pro-life at all? What about all the other criminals who have killed those outside of the womb? Where would we put them?

So Congress has nothing better to do with their time? No budget to deal with, no tax reform, nothing to do with unemployment, homelessness, our crumbling infrastructure, education, help for returning war veterans. . .Just like the previous session when all they could think to do was bring one measure after another to the floor to repeal the Affordable Care Act. At some point I'd think even the teabaggers would get fed up with this behavior.

QFT.

So tedious, darling.

Try for a little class, do.

This meme pretty much sums it up:

29301252006578802044118.jpg

And it makes me sick as to most pro-lifers in general!

Those kids are hungry only because their parents are lazy. They don't want to work just leach off the taxpayers teat. Even when they get food stamps they usually eat most of the food themselves.

Those kids are hungry only because their parents are lazy. They don't want to work just leach off the taxpayers teat. Even when they get food stamps they usually eat most of the food themselves.

You're not even an interesting troll ffs.

Darling, this is Free Jinger dot org. Go big or go home. And if that's your A-game, go home.

Archived