IGNORED

New show on scientology on ID next week.

Wolfie

I am watching a show about a murderer on Investigation Discovery tonight. (yeah, junk tv, and something I should not watch while living alone. I do have a line I draw, I can not watch anything about the Zodiac Killer, I think that the fact that I know several of the places where he found victims makes him too close to home.)

Anyway, they are advertising a new show that premiers next Wednesday, and the first episode is about Scientology. I figured that some here would be interested in it.

Here is a link to a video http://investigation.discovery.com/tv-s ... tology.htm

And this is about the show in general. http://investigation.discovery.com/tv-s ... asions.htm

Scientology fascinates me. Actually stayed up all night once reading about Hubbard, Tom Cruise, and their new leader. Ever since I saw Tom Cruise(omg, actually blanked on spelling his name) bat shit crazy and cackling about SP's(supressive persons) I've been hooked. Had to quit watching ID cause my 2 year old son was looking like he was getting ideas and I didn't want to raise a serial killer. Gonna have to DVR this and watch when he is out with Daddy.

I'll be watching that on ID. Scientology creeps me out but I do find it fascinating. Over the past few days, The Hollywood Reporter has been posting excerpts from a new book about Scientology. So far, the excerpts have been about John Travolta and Tom Cruise and how Scientology kept them in.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... lta-409685

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... ise-409686

Check out the Rick Ross forum for all you ever wanted to know about Scientology. Mormonism and Scientology have a lot in common,with the belief in celestial beings and other science fiction type stuff. Scientology is a cult for people of means. I'll be watching the new show, thanks for the heads-up.

http://investigation.discovery.com/videos

Not all of the shows are here, but you can still watch some.

Squeee! You are my new bestest friend! ID channel was the only thing that I had a hard time giving up when we got rid of pay TV. I've watched the entire series of "Disappeared" on Netflix, but I do go through withdrawal at times.

I first learned about Scientology back in 70 or 71. We had a long-term sub who was trying to keep our attention while we read "Giants in the Earth" in Junior English and to illustrate a plot point in the book, she somehow managed to connect it up to Scientology. I have no idea how nor can I recollect what the specifics of the example were, but we ended up spending two days of class time talking about this so-called religion. I've been fascinated ever since and can't imagine how so many people buy into this nonsense, lock, stock and barrel (although really, it's not much different than the nonsense traditional religions would have us believe, although at least none of those have "Celebrity Centres" to fleece, er...cater to their special snowflakes).

I'll have to try to catch this program somehow.

Squeee! You are my new bestest friend! ID channel was the only thing that I had a hard time giving up when we got rid of pay TV. I've watched the entire series of "Disappeared" on Netflix, but I do go through withdrawal at times.

I understand! My cable provider doesn't offer ID so I remotely program my fiance's dish to record programs in the middle of the night while he's sleeping so I can catch up on the weekends. I may have to stop though, because he keeps halfway waking up and hearing/seeing bits of the shows and having nightmares. Oops...

I'm planning to watch this show, as scientology is interesting, as it's one thing that's even weirder than Mormonism.

The woman being profiled in this show, Nancy Many, wrote a book called "My Billion-Year Contract." She also provides the voiceover for the program.

Tony Ortega used to be the editor of the Village Voice but has moved on to freelance coverage of Scientology on a full time basis. His website is here: http://tonyortega.org/

And yes, I'm waiting for Lawrence Wright's book to come out. I met him last summer at a party of "Suppressive Persons." I was there to party and see my friends, he was there to work. He set up his video camera in one corner of the yard and interviewed a succession of ex-Scientologists regarding Scientology. It's my understanding he's going to include some? all? of the interview video as part of the book.

Another person mentioned in the Nancy Many program is Paulette Cooper. I finally got to meet her in person last summer. She was never a Scientologist but she was harassed in unbelievable ways by the cult of greed and power because she had the temerity to write a book about Scientology back in the early 1970s. Nancy's story talks about, in part, how she was part of Paulette's harassment.

This is going to be must-see TV. Nancy is very happy with the results.

Thanks for the heads up about this Wolfie. I will definitely set my DVR for this. I first became interested in Scientology as a teenager when the media started to cover it more because of celebs. Over the years, I've tried to read up on it and and I've watched programs about it. I used to lurk quite on freekatie and I sometimes lurk on Exscn forum. I haven't read any books on Scientology, the book in the link shrewlu posted sounds very interesting and I might read that one.

Some Hollywood gossip forums sometimes talk about Scientology quite a bit and some of the insiders are probably legit. Sometime back I read on another site that actor Jason Dohring's mother had a blog about Scientology. Jason's father is a higher up in CO$ and the mom's blog disappeared a few years back. People have said that the blog was weird and that she described her Scientology methods in homeschooling. Last week, I watched the documentary called The Hollywood Complex. It is about complex in L.A. that caters to actors, child actors, and their families. One of the child actor's mothers got reeled into Scientology and at the end of documentary she was peddling Scienco products. It was weird, but it showed how easily some people get reeled into Scientology. I have noticed that some of the Scieno celebs are bit dim.

ETA: There was another Scientology book I heard about years ago. I can't remember the title, but I remember that book described some of the methods COS does to reel in celebs and Demi Moore was one of their targets at one point.

Check out the Rick Ross forum for all you ever wanted to know about Scientology. Mormonism and Scientology have a lot in common,with the belief in celestial beings and other science fiction type stuff. Scientology is a cult for people of means. I'll be watching the new show, thanks for the heads-up.

I have never been to the Rick Ross forum. But a few people on exscn have mentioned that Mormonism and Scientology have a lot in common. One FJer described Mormonism with added Jesus. Scientology defientely a cult for people of means. Scieno celebs try to reel in other actors, screenwriters, directors etc and sometimes they are successful. Screenwriter Paul Haggis was Scieno and then left the church. He wrote a very good article on his depature from Scieno. I remember there was a list that listed L.A. area dentists, doctors, and other wealthy people involved in Scientology.

I'm watching the DVR recording of the doc now. Nancy has talked about how she got into Scieno in her early 20s. She talked about auditing and how ended up leaving college to work more with CO$.

I finished watching the doc, I won't give away too much. But I learned more about crazy SeaOrg and some of their fucked up activities.

I DVR'd it too and started watching it, but it just depressed me and I had to turn it off. How do people,rational and intelligent people, get sucked into something so evil and repressive? *loud sigh* I swear some escape stories I've read seemed like they were going over the fucking Berlin Wall & not leaving a "religion". And what the hell is up with the Squirrel Squad ( I think that's what it's called)? Don't know if the show covered that, but does anybody know what the hell those squirrel people are trying to accomplish?

I was just watching the end of NBC News, and Brian Williams said that there would be a show tonight regarding the most famous person to leave Scientology. If I catch more details, I will post.

I was just watching the end of NBC News, and Brian Williams said that there would be a show tonight regarding the most famous person to leave Scientology. If I catch more details, I will post.

Access hollywood also is talking about it. I missed the show on ID, hopefully they'll re run it!

Rock Center will have a segment on Scientology tonight. I think NBC puts episodes online the next day. ETA: The segment is going to focus on screenwriter Paul Haggis. He also wrote a very long article about his exit from CO$. Here's the article and correction it was written by Lawrence Wright.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011 ... act_wright

Thanks. I recorded the first run but my DVR overloaded due to trying to catch up with drama here.

I DVR'd it too and started watching it, but it just depressed me and I had to turn it off. How do people,rational and intelligent people, get sucked into something so evil and repressive? *loud sigh* I swear some escape stories I've read seemed like they were going over the fucking Berlin Wall & not leaving a "religion". And what the hell is up with the Squirrel Squad ( I think that's what it's called)? Don't know if the show covered that, but does anybody know what the hell those squirrel people are trying to accomplish?

Suppressive persons are people who are viewed as a threat to Scientology (former members, family who aren't supportive, etc.) I think that Scientology also calls them squirrels. My understanding is that the "Squirrel Busters" are a group of Scientologists that started going after Marty Rathburn, a former high-ranking Scientologist who is now critical of David Miscavige. (He is likely the one sending them out or someone high up in the organization.)

If you go to the Village Voice website, there are many articles in the archives written by Tony Ortega. I know the Squirrel Busters are mentioned there.

edited to clarify who they are affiliated with

Archived