IGNORED

Modesty newsletter to those of the Jewish persuation

AuntCloud

Oy vey. Please read the following with a dose of Gravol.

http://jezebel.com/5973829/hiding-the-b ... like-sluts

In the olden days, around the 50's and 60's, even orthodox Haredi families were mostly living their lives among the more mildly religious and non-religious Jews. Starting at about the 70's there has been a trend of shutting off the secular world, setting themselves further and further apart. For example, schools used to be co-ed until about junior high, but gradually the genders are separated at younger and younger ages (there are very few homeschoolers among orthodox Jews in Israel). Outfits that would have been considered perfectly modest in the 60's are frowned upon nowadays. Rabbis are leaning more and more towards extreme conservatism and what do you know - even the kookiest still have their followers.

I'm thinking a muumuu is all that I could wear that would please him! Everything clings to my boobage. Everything.

I say that everyone here who has a blog should write posts about male modesty. Lets see how men like it for a change when the only thing that matters is how much fabric they wear.

The two or three times I went to synagogue I had a hell of a time finding things to cover my boobs. Doesn't matter how high the neckline is, they are still big!

It's fabric. It's going to drape. What am I supposed to do, install scaffolding at collarbone level to ensure my breasts (what tiny mosquito bites I've got) are well out of sight? Wear two sports bras to flatten them?

Forgive my ignorance but what are "sealed socks"? I looked on the interwebz and all I could come up with was what looked like something for surfing and/or diving. While nothing in the world of Fundies surprises me is there something else this whackadoo could mean?

Well, he did specify 40 denier plus, so I'm guessing what he meant was "opaque". As in "not sheer". As in "what most of us buy when we buy socks, unless we're going with those annoying knee-high things, in which case isn't a pair of stockings ever so much nicer?"

Weirdo. If doing half these things are immodest, I wonder he can step out the house without dying from boner. Wearing red or bright shades? Not even most fundies carry it that far.

I do like "the Jewish persuasion" though. I get a mental image of Mrs Doyle from Father Ted chasing Bradley Wiggins down the road waving a yarmulke and shouting "GO ON, GO ON, GO ON" ;)

I'm thinking the "sealed socks" were a reference to tights.

I wish I could be shocked by this, but I spend some of my time in a couple of predominantly Jewish neighborhoods in NYC. Many of the young Jewish women I see there fit this rabbi's description of modest: pulled back hair, below knee-length skirts, old lady shoes (or, more recently, horrible boat shoe looking things), baggy blouses (you can often see that they're pinned shut in addition to buttoned), and opaque tights. The young men have an even less expressive "dress code" of their own: black slacks, black shoes, insanely opaque white button up shirt (sometimes with a tallit poking out), black coat in the winter, and always a kippah.

Fun fact: one of the buses I ride sometimes segregates itself by gender. It's amazing how normal things like this seem to me, when I know they're bonkers.

"The neck can be exposed, but not the body. So the neck must be covered: A. On the sides till the place the body curves. B. In the back till the first vertebra. C. In the front till the bones. The upper button must be fastened of course, and a high neck is even better."

B. The first vertebrae is basically in my skull. Does he want the back of my neck covered to the hair covering I would need to wear as a married woman?

C. The hyoid bone? If this is the case, coupled with B, can I wear hijab? They are probably more comfortable and I think they look better and give excellent coverage.

What is his damage?

Archived