IGNORED

JD courting Anna Hackel?

Pclee

A friend of mine has three girls named Ivy, Violet, and Calla. But she's a very gentle hippie yoga instructor who's kids SHOULD be named after plants, IMHO. And she's not planning on having any more.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But my boyfriend and I are really thinking about only biblical names and middle names after family members. In my family there is the crazy tradition that all we kids have four names.

That's funny. That's exactly how my older brother and his wife did it -- biblical first names (well, up until the most recent) because my SILs from Germany so the names can be pronounced in both countries, and two middle names from family. Word of warning though -- the family names can end up causing a LOT of hurt feelings. Trust me on this. It can get ugly and it can happen fast.

I really hope JD and the other kids stay away from themed names. I wouldn't be surprised if the names have common sounds, that happens to a lot of siblings based on what the parents like, but themed names? Leave them to fictional characters, PLEASE. Also I worry that Michelle and Jim Bob, if they have more children, will wind up running out of J-names. For the first few it's easy, but after #20...

Word of warning though -- the family names can end up causing a LOT of hurt feelings. Trust me on this. It can get ugly and it can happen fast.

This is why I put my foot down on NO FAMILY NAMES. My husband's grandma wanted us to name Jude "Sara" if he was a girl, after my husband's mother who died. I'm not a huge fan of the name and Sara is too common (especially with our last name--when you get a report card with classes you aren't even taking because there's another person in your school with the exact same name, your name is too common), plus then my mom would've been hurt that we didn't use her name... then the next girl would've caused a stir if we didn't use Gloria, Doris, Geraldine, or Sylvia after the grandmas, and so on. So we have Jude and if he had been a girl he was going to be Eowyn Ivy, which we'll use when we eventually have a girl.

Naming your kids after flowers makes me think of Hyacinth, Daisy, Rose and Violet from Keeping Up Appearances

:oops: My mother's father's sister were all named after flowers or plants. Rose, Ivy, Lilly, Flora and so forth and they got off easy as my grandfather's twin brothers were named Elmer and Delmer. :shock: I think my grandfather was the only semi-normal name of 23 kids. But if you are crazy enough to have 23 children then I guess you run out of normal names pretty quick. And 23 were only full siblings as his father was the town tramp who I think had 60+ all together. :?

:oops: My mother's father's sister were all named after flowers or plants. Rose, Ivy, Lilly, Flora and so forth and they got off easy as my grandfather's twin brothers were named Elmer and Delmer. :shock: I think my grandfather was the only semi-normal name of 23 kids. But if you are crazy enough to have 23 children then I guess you run out of normal names pretty quick. And 23 were only full siblings as his father was the town tramp who I think had 60+ all together. :?

Damn. My father was the town tramp and there are 23 of his offspring running around, that we know of. There are no doubt more.

I thought the 23 was a crazy lot of kids! But, 60? Holy crap. I wonder if my father was trying to live up to this dude?

My father was married while all the tramping was going on and he had six kids with his wife - all the girls have K names (and one of the boys is Delmer). All six of those kids used K names for their kids. It's crazy making.

As a kid I had a book where the sisters were named Garnet, Opal, and Ruby, and the brothers were named Jasper and Turquoise.

But if you are crazy enough to have 23 children then I guess you run out of normal names pretty quick.

Hee hee. I take that as a challenge. In order of how much I like them, for girls: Agatha, Isabel, Anne, Grace, Juliet, Nadia, Cordelia, Allyson, Sadie, Hannah, Lily (or Lila), Elisabeth, Nadia, Margaret, Eleanor, Ruth, Esther, Beatrice, Evelyn, Fiona, Anya, Ophelia, Phillipa (NO! Not after the Duchess' sister, dammit! It was my idea first! Okay, not first, but it came way before she was around in the media), Josephine, Amelia, Felicity, Angelica, Haley.

Actually, though, I think some of those might to weird to some people. I predominantly like really old fashioned names, especially those that are the same as some woman I have a lot of respect for. Sorry, couldn't resist! Boys are harder though -- I think I only have like ten of those.

Edited to add that this whole post makes me seem like a nutso, but I guess I will leave it. This is what I used to do in school when I was bored: Name the 50 states, Name the Capitals, Name the countries in Africa, Name every show on network television, name your future children. You can imagine that I often looked dazed and bewildered in class.

Hee hee. I take that as a challenge. In order of how much I like them, for girls: Agatha, Isabel, Anne, Grace, Juliet, Nadia, Cordelia, Allyson, Sadie, Hannah, Lily (or Lila), Elisabeth, Nadia, Margaret, Eleanor, Ruth, Esther, Beatrice, Evelyn, Fiona, Anya, Ophelia, Phillipa (NO! Not after the Duchess' sister, dammit! It was my idea first! Okay, not first, but it came way before she was around in the media), Josephine, Amelia, Felicity, Angelica, Haley.

Actually, though, I think some of those might to weird to some people. I predominantly like really old fashioned names, especially those that are the same as some woman I have a lot of respect for. Sorry, couldn't resist! Boys are harder though -- I think I only have like ten of those.

Edited to add that this whole post makes me seem like a nutso, but I guess I will leave it. This is what I used to do in school when I was bored: Name the 50 states, Name the Capitals, Name the countries in Africa, Name every show on network television, name your future children. You can imagine that I often looked dazed and bewildered in class.

Ah, but you only did girls names and my grandfather only had 8-9 whole sisters. So the majority were boys and those are who got the short end of the stick. Also remember back in the day people didn't have access to baby name books. So they would use creative names and spellings. Or just reuse names if one child died and you wanted that name to live on for whatever reason. Also mothers were the same then as now, either wanting to honor someone, just liked the name or wanted their snowflake to be the only one with that name.

I also have to add that not all 23 or so lived to adulthood. I just checked and it seems only 13 lived to be captured by census records. Others are listed as infant boy/girl who died inbetween times. My grandfather was born in 1904 in Tenn, so records will be shody at best. And it seems like my grandfather's siblings have a lot of biblical names as well or at least a normal name with it. So Ivy might be Ivy Anne Lastname. But still there is no excuse for his little twin brothers, Elmer Garrison and Delmer Harrison. :roll: Michelle and my great grandmother must have had the same mind when it came to nameing twin boys. :naughty:

Well, I guess you still pass the challenge since you got well over 20 names, but you did mention Nadia twice :) Maybe you should pass directly to "Secretly a Duggar".

I don't particularly like the "old-fashioned" names, but that's what would probably come up with my hypothetical kids if I chose to use family names. One more reason for me to not use them. I'm with whoever mentioned not wanting to use super common names. I have an amazingly boring, common name (first and last) and there were at least 4 people with the same name at my university. Several years ago I joned a facebook group called "_____ _____'s Taking over the World" and there were over 800 people in it with my same name. A high school friend with the same first name has since married, and we now have the same first and last name; I've been tagged in a couple of her pics on facebook when the pictures are not very clear. It's really annoying.

Iam collecting names for my future years for years now. And I really like Josephine and Esther, as you mentioned. I like a lot of the other names too, but they wouldn't work in german! So naming 23 children wouldn't be hard for me neither!!

We plan on doing all family names for our children. It just seems weird to me to name the one or two after family members and then follw it up with random names that we just liked. "You were named after your grandmother, you were named after your great-grandfather and we saw your name in a baby name book" just seems like the last kid would feel left out. There could be some hurt feelings but luckily we've got a bunch of names that appear on both sides.

Interesting album. This is the first time I've seen the Duggar girls in their ATI-approved bathing suits, as shown here: https://picasaweb.google.com/duggarfami ... 3734623026 . It's a good thing these kids probably don't get invited to many pool parties, as the suits give off a distinctly funereal/ killjoy vibe. All they need are matching black pool noodles to complete the ensemble.

You know, I really don't think those suits are that horrible, especially when compared to the one Anna wore on her honeymoon, and they look happy. Wouldn't the way J-girl (sorry, just looked at the pic and am already blanking on which one she is) is sitting be defrauding though? :o

We plan on doing all family names for our children. It just seems weird to me to name the one or two after family members and then follw it up with random names that we just liked. "You were named after your grandmother, you were named after your great-grandfather and we saw your name in a baby name book" just seems like the last kid would feel left out. There could be some hurt feelings but luckily we've got a bunch of names that appear on both sides.

I did family names for both of my kiddos. I picked members that I loved dearly so their names are special.

I did family names for both of my kiddos. I picked members that I loved dearly so their names are special.

That's what we're hoping to do. My son has my husband's middle name and his great-grandfather's first name. If we have a daughter she'll be named after my mother AND multiple great-grandmothers. If we have a second son he will have a combination of both of his grandfathers names. Another daughter will be named after my BIL (the female version of his name) and my great-aunt. We're kind of weird since we've already got our names planned out.

If I had kids which is not very likely my names would be Iain for a boy or Rosa for a girl. Iain is the Scottish version of John, but apart from making that change they would both be named for people in history I respect. As I am not planning on it though I never thought beyond that.

I love Wren, Sparrow and Robin as names, but only the last seems 'normal' enough to use - and I wouldn't use theme names like that. I joked once at how bad it would be if I did; my brother told me I could have a fourth daughter nobody liked called 'Duck'.

I love Wren, Sparrow and Robin as names, but only the last seems 'normal' enough to use - and I wouldn't use theme names like that. I joked once at how bad it would be if I did; my brother told me I could have a fourth daughter nobody liked called 'Duck'.

Dunno about Sparrow but Wren and Robin are nice! Problem with Sparrow is if they grow up to be six foot two and weigh 300 pounds...

Martin and Jay are also bird names.

I have all kinds of weird ideas for names, but instead of inflicting those names on children, I use them to name pets. My kids will have normal names, and my cats will get the weird ones like Cornelius and Wilhelmina.

Another theme is to just name kids after letters. You could have twins Jay and Kay, and then a bunch of others like Bea, Dee, Elle, and Em. You would run out of boys names pretty fast though. Again, this theme is better for pets than for children.

I have all kinds of weird ideas for names, but instead of inflicting those names on children, I use them to name pets.

Yeah, I use the weird names I like for my electronic devices, so I can enjoy them, but I don't ever have to inflict them on a person.

I actually like having some kind of theme for my (future) childrens names. But since I know the Duggars names that start with the same letter have somehow died for me. But my boyfriend and I are really thinking about only biblical names and middle names after family members. In my family there is the crazy tradition that all we kids have four names. We are named after family members and people that inspired my mother and I really like that. We have a little story about each of our names and on our birthday it's a tradition that my mothers tells our birth-stories and the stories how she chose our names. I can really imagine doing that too.

The Biblical name theme is the most common one, and family names is the second most common theme. I have known of several families with four boys named Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. In fact, Biblical names are so common that nobody will even know you have a them unless you have at least 5 kids. An old tradition in the South was to put a pin in the family Bible and pick a name from whatever page came up. Before the internet and baby naming books, the Bible was the most useful source of finding names.

Yeah, I use the weird names I like for my electronic devices, so I can enjoy them, but I don't ever have to inflict them on a person.

My recorder's name is Galahad. :)

Archived