IGNORED

Raising Godly Tomatoes

debrand

My 5yo keeps saying Oma gangham style, and I keep trying to tell her it's oppa. It's like she's purposely defying me. Should I beat her?

My kid says it the right way, and I'm still considering beating him if I hear it one more time. :twisted:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 5yo keeps saying Oma gangham style, and I keep trying to tell her it's oppa. It's like she's purposely defying me. Should I beat her?

If you aren't really listening , it sounds like he says, "Oppa Condom style"

Elizabeth and her husband do not understand a thing called "picking your battles". Disciplining your child for the every little thing is ridiculous. Even if she did not spank, punishing the daughter for saying "i'm coming" instead of "coming" is flat out stupid.

So true. I think they're missing the point of discipline entirely. When I decide to discipline my kids, it's because they're doing something that doesn't mesh well with becoming a decent citizen of the world as they grow up. Tell a lie? You're probably going to lose trust and privileges in my house, because lying is not a habit that will serve you well as an adult. Hitting siblings? The offender needs to go chill out for a while, apologize, talk to me about how to express one's self without violence, and then do something nice for their sibling.

Discipline for saying a sentence differently than I would say it doesn't even enter my radar, because what is the point? What does the child learn by being paddled (or any other type of discipline) for saying "I'm coming" instead of "coming?" How will that lesson serve the child in the future? If the purpose of discipline isn't to teach them how to behave in real world situations, what is it for?

I consider myself to be somewhat strict with my kids, and I think the tomato lady is flat out nuts.

Okay, I guess I must be odd cause I throw up in the toilet. There is nothing better (to me) than laying on the cool floor and barely having to move in order to throw up. Throw up in and of itself makes me throw up so I really dislike having a trashcan full of throw up beside my bed or the like. No, I'd rather throw up, flush it, and it be gone. But I've always been weirdo...

I'm with you on that, and my kids seem to prefer the cool tile, as well. But, they're in there because that's where they go when they're sick, and they would never be punished for getting sick in bed or somewhere unexpected.

So true. I think they're missing the point of discipline entirely. When I decide to discipline my kids, it's because they're doing something that doesn't mesh well with becoming a decent citizen of the world as they grow up. Tell a lie? You're probably going to lose trust and privileges in my house, because lying is not a habit that will serve you well as an adult. Hitting siblings? The offender needs to go chill out for a while, apologize, talk to me about how to express one's self without violence, and then do something nice for their sibling.

Discipline for saying a sentence differently than I would say it doesn't even enter my radar, because what is the point? What does the child learn by being paddled (or any other type of discipline) for saying "I'm coming" instead of "coming?" How will that lesson serve the child in the future? If the purpose of discipline isn't to teach them how to behave in real world situations, what is it for?

I consider myself to be somewhat strict with my kids, and I think the tomato lady is flat out nuts.

To make sure their children never know when they're doing something right or wrong, and will always have to ask Daddy if they're acting correctly. That's the most I can figure.

I have one who says, "gangman" style. She's unconscious on the floor right now because I just don't tolerate that kind of disrespect. :twisted:

If you beat a child for not using proper grammar, then you need (to quote Toby Keith) "a boot up your ass (just a thought, I would never do that of course :twisted: ).

Youngest DD will occasionally speak sentences that are grammatically incorrect just because she knows it irks me. Do I punish her? Absolutely not! She is fantastically bright,and I would NEVER want to do anything that would change who she is.

I don't give a flying doughnut about her lapses of grammar - she is doing very well in school, and I am very proud of her!

If you understand what Elizabeth believes about children and discipline, then her methods make a sadistic sense, sadly. Like Ted Tripp, Elizabeth is not actually disciplining for the actual actions and words her children display to her. She believes SHE can discern her children's HEARTS. Thus, she is disciplining for the percieved disrespect and disobedience in their hearts.

She believes if you keep a child smotheringly close at all times, then you can use ESP to tell what they are thinking and feeling and when they think or feel ANYTHING that contradicts what she wants them to think or feel, then she will pounce and beat them into submission.

It's actually sadistic and disgusting, but seductive. She got that part from Tripp and you can see some of it in Pearl but he has never been quite as articulate as Tripp on this one. These people believe they can tell when their children are rebelious in their hearts, regardless of what actions the child displays. So they will literally beat and at a very young age for what they call "heart issues."

Of course, this requires a level of ESP AND discounting normal child development that is shocking. Instead of seeing the 4 year old with developing language skills and trying to use proper grammar, what they see is a child rebelling and refusing to obey her father, deliberately altering his instruction just enough to get away with it but able to then hold in her heart that she did NOT obey. It's utter nonsense. It assigns all kinds of motivation that the average 4 year old is incpable of having. It also completely discounts where a 4 year old actually is developmentally.

However, these idiots truly believe if they start beating their BABIES for what they just *know* is in their hearts, then by the time they are starting elementary school, they will rarely have to spank. Elizabeth has actually SAID if you are having to spank anymore than rarely by 5-6, then you didn't train properly when they were young. She has also said she approves of Pearl's ideas that you can start "discipline" by 6-12 months. When truly cornered, she did once state that starting at 3-4 months seemed excessive to her BUT she didn't know the precise baby in question at that age and thus would trust the judgment of the parent disciplining such a child.

I'm with you on that, and my kids seem to prefer the cool tile, as well. But, they're in there because that's where they go when they're sick, and they would never be punished for getting sick in bed or somewhere unexpected.

That's my default throwing up location as well. I would only use a bucket if it were ABSOLUTELY necessary. But no, kids shouldn't get punished for accidentally throwing up on something! I remember my one weird aunt was babysitting us one time and told my little brother to stop running around after he ate, because it would make him throw up and he'd have to clean it up himself, and she' tell my mom so that he would get in trouble for it. I was only like 10, but I thought that was so appalling, especially because my bro has some kind of barf phobia.

I throw up in the toilet, but mostly I know when I'm going to throw up and get there on time. My littles would be puking the whole way to the bathroom so I give them a bucket so they can just sit up and puke. I do change the bag out after each episode. Yes it's not very "environmental" but I figure if you're already throwing up you don't need that smell lingering around. I am one of those people who can't clean up stuff like that without getting sick, so I don't mind changing the bag all day but cleaning it up out of the hall carpet? Eww, no.

I throw up in the toilet too, unless I'm already in the midst of having stomach problems. BTW having gastrointestenal distress while puking is the least fun thing EVER. I'm with Sprocket and Snarkbillie, I want that smell GONE. I worship at the altar of dramamine when I'm having stomach issues. It knocks you out and makes you less nausious. It's a wonderful thing.

Sparkles Jr. was a world-class barfer when she was a kid and it took her a long time to gain enough self-discipline to hold things in long enough to make it to the toilet (and then to realize that you actually had to lift the seat first before barfing :roll: ). So I quickly got over my reflex reaction to barf myself and became and expert in cleaning it up. Fun times... But no matter how bad the mess was, NOT ONCE did I ever think of punishing my child for being ill, just like I'd never punish a baby for peeing in the middle of a diaper change (something I'm sure the Swines and their ilk would consider an act of defiance on the infant's part). If you know your child is sick and likely to barf (and you don't want to deal with a barf bucket), I don't really see anything wrong with having them stay in the bathroom for a while, as long as they're comfortable and receiving constant parental supervision. The issue with the Tomato Worm is that her child's illness was a personal affront so she confined him to the bathroom for her own convenience and basically ignored him while she carried on with her oh-so-important business. And if he happened to miss the toilet--because, you know, HE WAS SICK--she forced him to clean up his own mess as punishment. Seriously? Once again, if this kind of treatment is god's word, then fuck him.

I never understood punishing kids for accidents. When I was a kid I remember being punished for spilling my juice. It was obviously an accident so even while I was getting spanked I didn't understand why. :(

If you beat a child for not using proper grammar, then you need (to quote Toby Keith) "a boot up your ass (just a thought, I would never do that of course :twisted: ).

That's 'a boot IN your ass'. Now you need to get hit for getting the line wrong! :evil:

Seriously though, the ritual the OP quoted was every bit as creepy as Michael Pearl's, far too ritualized. When somebody takes MP aside and explains about consensual adult activities that he seems to have distorted his desire for, this Elizabeth needs to be there too. :vomit:

Archived