IGNORED

Stephen Baldwin is persecuted (he says)

RandomTrivia

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I love that about Casablanca! I already knew about some of the actors, but I was just astounded to find out how many of the actors and actresses were refugees. Even the actor who played Major Strasser was a refugee, in real life. It was already one of my favorite movies, but now I love it even more.

Btw, the guest programmer last evening on TCM mentioned how many of the actors were refugees.

(edited to add the last sentence)

Conrad Veidt (Major Strasser), Paul Lukas )Victor Laszlo) and Peter Lorre were all refugees,as was the director, Michael Curtiz. Veidt and Lorre were politically as well as religiously suspect because they were both university men, and had been involved in "avant guard" projects early in their careers (Veidt in "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari", Lorre in "M").

I think when people blame "liberal Hollywood" for the dearth of "Christians", they really mean crazy, fringe Christians. Yes, Hollywood is very socially liberal and they don't really like conservatives who talk about guns and traditional marriages. However, Hollywood is a business first and foremost. They will hire anyone who can bring in a crowd. There are many reasons that people are unsuccessful or see a flailing career. I just don't think being a Christian, or a follower of a fringe religion affects you. Heck, Tom Cruise is still reeling the cash in AND he owns his own movie studio now and he's been declared insane since, what 2005?

Archived