IGNORED

"Teens Don't Care About Birth Control"

doggie

Of course teens don't care about birth control. I mean it could not be that they are not taught about it of course. that could not play into the factor. a Whole stupid forest fell on this fool.

Governor Blames Teens For His Failed Abstinence Only Policies, Says They ‘Do Not Care’ About Birth Control

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/11 ... ?mobile=nc

When are lawmakers going to realise that teaching abstinence is not going to make students practise it. I mean, they teach proper grammar in schools but damned if most kids use it. ;)

When are lawmakers going to realise that teaching abstinence is not going to make students practise it. I mean, they teach proper grammar in schools but damned if most kids use it. ;)

when you stop using beliefs over logic and reason.

Teens are more likely to make stupid decisions driving. Do we ban them from the road? No, we teach them about driving sober and wearing seatbelts and driving at a reasonable speed. But because sex is dirty and immoral and against Jebus, it's something they should never do ever, and never even learn about - even though the consequences of unprotected sex can be just as tragic. It just makes no sense to me.

Do these people not remember what it was like to be a teen? Your bodies are full of hormones and ~feelings~, but your brain isn't quite sure what to do with all of them. It's scary and lonely and isolating if you aren't given the proper guidance.

His state has the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the country, yet he claims that his policy is the best? That makes sense.

His state has the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the country, yet he claims that his policy is the best? That makes sense.

Um, it's Mississippi. I say let them secede. They're nothing but a drain on the rest of the country anyway.

Aren't kids in abstinence-only programs taught how birth control doesn't work anyway, that NO MATTER what you do you WILL get pregnant, so JUST DO NOT HAVE SEX! Until you are married, that is, because we all know that married people don't need birth control. :roll:

My SO and I were both provided sexual education at school. Our parents did not give us the 'sex talk' and that was unfortunate. However, the fact we were provided with medical facts and safe sex at school meant we were probably prevented from doing too many stupid things as teens.

The fact is, humans are sexual creatures and teens are curious. Most people will have sex before they marry. The only time many kids will learn medically accurate, comprehensive safe sexual discussion is in high school. Not in college and certainly not at most work places. The unfortunate thing is, if teens are taught only that they should abstain and that condoms are flaky, or birth control are scary pills....then they will just have sex thinking it's more safe than using protection.

My SO and I both decided early on that we would be very frank and detailed with our sex talk with our future children. We will openly discuss contraception and any pertinent medical information. We are both physicians and it seems highly irresponsible if our own children fail to understand how their own bodies work (and a failure as parents and physicians). I hope abstinence-only education will no longer be pushed in the near future. But if it is, I will do my part to make sure kids are aware of the facts. At the very least, my kids will not be spreading stupid myths like condoms don't work or birth control will give you cancer.

As a parent, I would rather know my teen had sex and used a condom then know he delayed sex for a couple of years and then went ahead and had sex without one. Studies show that abstinence-only education delays sex by a whooping 18 months---but they are less likely to use protection thereafter. So I can either have a 17 year old have sex with a condom or a 19 year old who decides to go bare. Pick my poison, huh?

Even though I was a virgin until college age, my mother had the sex talk with me and told me of the importance of birth control. She may not have approved of sex before marriage, but she wasn't stupid enough to realized that it didn't happen. She didn't' want my sis and I to go through the hardships of being a teen mother.

Archived