IGNORED

Shocking news! - Miss Raquel Got a Job

formergothardite

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I lived near her, I would go to her cafe while she was working, be the customer from hell and then leave her one of those dollar tracts.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I lived near her, I would go to her cafe while she was working, be the customer from hell and then leave her one of those dollar tracts.

I would pay to see how she reacted to a hellish customer and a dollar "Are You Saved" tract. :lol:

Yeah um being a waitress is not easy or fun. It's hard and thankless. However, I'm very happy that she got a job and will at least experience some part of reality.

It's horrible. I was a waitress in Michigan, and we made 2.35/hour +tips. My mom had a friend who told her (and me) once that she didn't tip, because we were already being paid. I wanted to punch her, but instead yelled at her obnoxiously. When I moved here, I found out that servers actually get minimum wage, which still sucks, but at least I don't feel like I *have* to tip twice what other people tip anymore. I still tip pretty well, unless the service is really terrible.

Serving tables is not easy or fun. It's hard work, it's gross, and people treat you like a slave. Sometimes they throw food on the floor on purpose. Sometimes they make sure to make you walk back and forth to the kitchen several times. Sometimes men will "drop" things specifically so you pick them up. Sometimes you get better tips when you wear makeup. Management does not have your welfare in their interest, they only care about making sure they turn a profit. Good luck!

I kind of hope this is actually the start of something for Miss Raquel, or at least will give her some much needed perspective. I'm not holding my breath, though. We'll see how long she lasts at this.

I'm not sure how she's not getting any sort of a paycheck, though. Aren't servers supposed to make at least *something* per hour based on minimum wage laws? Is there some way that the cafe is wiggling out of those laws? And even if she's taking home tips, is that tax-reportable income? I don't know much about labor laws, but something seems off here (although I freely admit I may be wrong about that - if anyone else is more knowledgeable, I'd love to understand this stuff better!).

I kind of hope this is actually the start of something for Miss Raquel, or at least will give her some much needed perspective. I'm not holding my breath, though. We'll see how long she lasts at this.

I'm not sure how she's not getting any sort of a paycheck, though. Aren't servers supposed to make at least *something* per hour based on minimum wage laws? Is there some way that the cafe is wiggling out of those laws? And even if she's taking home tips, is that tax-reportable income? I don't know much about labor laws, but something seems off here (although I freely admit I may be wrong about that - if anyone else is more knowledgeable, I'd love to understand this stuff better!).

It depends on the state. I don't know where she lives so I can't look up minimum wage and see if servers are exempt from the minimum wage requirements.

She lives in Oregon. I don't know how they are getting out of paying her. Something sounds off here.

She lives in Oregon. I don't know how they are getting out of paying her. Something sounds off here.

She's undoubtedly working under the table, lying to the govt. is not a sin to some xtians. If it were a legit job she would be subject to tip credit.

I'm not surprised that she is working under the table and that happens often in food services. When I was in high school, two of my friends worked as bussers at a restaurant and they were paid under the table. The idea of MR receiving a tract instead of a tip is hilarious. I think she will break a few times as a waitress. She will have ups and downs. There might be days or nights where she makes a good amount in tips. I can see her crying if a table of two left her a quarter.

I would pay to see how she reacted to a hellish customer and a dollar "Are You Saved" tract. :lol:

UGH. I was a server and made $2.13/hr in 2002. I had a woman and her daughter that came in every Friday dinner shift (always a busy time) and would take up a table for hours, make ridiculous requests, then "tip" with a chick tract and either Tootsie rolls or starlight mints. We used to argue over who got stuck serving her. Her sitting there being a dumb twat took away one table that tipping customers could've sat at.

I wouldn't wish it on any other server, but Miss Raquel is just so smug, self-absorbed, convinced she is God's special snowflake, thinks the world revolves around her, and known for treating people who don't worship her like shit, so I don't feel guilty for wishing it on her, just a couple of times.

It's horrible. I was a waitress in Michigan, and we made 2.35/hour +tips. My mom had a friend who told her (and me) once that she didn't tip, because we were already being paid. I wanted to punch her, but instead yelled at her obnoxiously. When I moved here, I found out that servers actually get minimum wage, which still sucks, but at least I don't feel like I *have* to tip twice what other people tip anymore. I still tip pretty well, unless the service is really terrible.

Serving tables is not easy or fun. It's hard work, it's gross, and people treat you like a slave. Sometimes they throw food on the floor on purpose. Sometimes they make sure to make you walk back and forth to the kitchen several times. Sometimes men will "drop" things specifically so you pick them up. Sometimes you get better tips when you wear makeup. Management does not have your welfare in their interest, they only care about making sure they turn a profit. Good luck!

I bussed tables in MI for 2.50 an hour plus tips.

KNow what really sucks about eing paid out of other people's tips? waitresses and waiters being paid in tips who thought it was OK to screw the busser out of her tips.

bastards.

Did anyone see this comment?

I had an awesome Monday as well!

I attend a public university, and as a result of that, I have some...interesting teachers and classes.

My day started out really well. I saw a friend as I was walking out of my dorm room and God used our conversation at 7am to bless me.

Then God surprised me with a decent conversation. I went to a professor's office hours to talk about a project and we actually had a decent conversation. I don't particularly enjoy this professor so that conversation was a surprise.

After that, I had Biology. I'm a Biology major and I love the subject, but don't like the material we are currently covering (Evolution). All over my notes about the lecture material I have written, "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" as a reminder to myself. In class, our professor was lecturing on "evidence" for evolution. But all the "evidence" she brought up I could directly see how it actually supported the Bible and creation. I almost started laughing aloud in class several times. :) So cool.

My day finished on a great note: playing Apples to Apples with one of my good friends.

God is good!

~ Madison, Akron, OH

This girl is studying Biology at a public university but is unwilling to open her mind enough to learn the basics of her subject and has to scribble reminders not to let herself learn onto her lecture notes?

It's sucks how low they can pay waiters and waitresses, and that's why I always tip well. But I do hope this job teaches Ms. Raquel that she's not nearly as awesome as she thinks she is, and to deal with people who aren't going to worship her. I hope she keeps the job, and learns something valuable from it. Who knows, maybe it'll even make her less annoying.

Did anyone see this comment?

I had an awesome Monday as well!

I attend a public university, and as a result of that, I have some...interesting teachers and classes.

My day started out really well. I saw a friend as I was walking out of my dorm room and God used our conversation at 7am to bless me.

Then God surprised me with a decent conversation. I went to a professor's office hours to talk about a project and we actually had a decent conversation. I don't particularly enjoy this professor so that conversation was a surprise.

After that, I had Biology. I'm a Biology major and I love the subject, but don't like the material we are currently covering (Evolution). All over my notes about the lecture material I have written, "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" as a reminder to myself. In class, our professor was lecturing on "evidence" for evolution. But all the "evidence" she brought up I could directly see how it actually supported the Bible and creation. I almost started laughing aloud in class several times. :) So cool.

My day finished on a great note: playing Apples to Apples with one of my good friends.

God is good!

~ Madison, Akron, OH

This girl is studying Biology at a public university but is unwilling to open her mind enough to learn the basics of her subject and has to scribble reminders not to let herself learn onto her lecture notes?

I earned my Biology BS at a Midwestern state school (and I'm in grad school at another), and I guarantee that regardless of how much she "loves [the parts of] the subject [that she picks and chooses]", she will fail. So many of my classmates thought they could succeed even after their refusal to answer questions about evolutionary biology earned them D+'s in introductory classes, but eventually they all dropped to more Godly majors (or dropped out entirely).

I would say that I feel bad for them, but I don't. I honestly had a good, long laugh each and every time I heard about a class-derailing creationist ultimately suffering at the hands of their own ignorance.

As a biology major myself I found that comment highly amusing. :D

As to Miss R's work, I live near her and would love to be a hellish customer, perhaps talking loudly about crushes on boys and whatnot, but alas I have no idea where this cafe would be and I probably wouldn't have the courage to do it anyway. It would be fun to earn dis-honorable mention on her blog though.

I live in a state that requires servers to be paid at least minimum wage. The restaurant chips in 1/2 the regular minimum wage for hourly workers, with the knowledge that they are tipped and therefore would meet at least the minimum hourly wage through tips. It usually works, though servers aren't exactly living high on the hog.

A popular titty bar (the one with the owl logo), however, discourages their servers from clocking in. Not clocking in IS illegal. Still, they get around it by telling servers that if they don't make minimum wage through tips, the restaurant will make up the difference. Of course titti-licious girls who know how to serve chicken wings and shake their boobies will make more than minimum wage through tips alone. (another reason not to go gto a restaurant with an owl logo)

I don't know if what Hoo.... oops ... the titty bar gets away with it, but servers who have boobies and want to pay their bills don't argue.

This blog post was written on Monday and yesterday on her FB page she said she had a bit of a rough day. I guess serving others is harder than she thought it was going to be.

This blog post was written on Monday and yesterday on her FB page she said she had a bit of a rough day. I guess serving others is harder than she thought it was going to be.

Yup it was. I kind of hope having a job will make MR grow up more. I see her struggling for awhile and a mini-meltdown.

I earned my Biology BS at a Midwestern state school (and I'm in grad school at another), and I guarantee that regardless of how much she "loves [the parts of] the subject [that she picks and chooses]", she will fail. So many of my classmates thought they could succeed even after their refusal to answer questions about evolutionary biology earned them D+'s in introductory classes, but eventually they all dropped to more Godly majors (or dropped out entirely).

I would say that I feel bad for them, but I don't. I honestly had a good, long laugh each and every time I heard about a class-derailing creationist ultimately suffering at the hands of their own ignorance.

I was wondering how far she expects to get with a major in Bio and not believing what is a major component of the subject. She might as well change majors now before wasting more money and effort.

I was wondering how far she expects to get with a major in Bio and not believing what is a major component of the subject. She might as well change majors now before wasting more money and effort.

Maybe she's hoping to infiltrate from the inside and show biologists the error of their ways! :roll:

Archived