IGNORED

Bill Hybels?

snarkbillie

One of my fundie-lites is getting deep into this guy and I don't know a thing about him. She's also into Kay Arthur, Beth Moore, and old boy Driscoll so I'm guessing this guy is more bad news.

Anyone know the deal with him?

Hybels and Moore are very mainstream. Haven't heard of the other two. Beth Moore is a "celebrity" Bible Study author. Hybles is similar.

Beth Moore is very "women submit to their husbands" and "keepers of the home Proverbs 31" based in my experience with her. I don't believe either of those are mainstream.

I went to Hybels' church, Willow Creek, for many years. I don't go there anymore but I still have a lot of respect for him. Women are allowed in leadership at Willow Creek, and that means all areas of leadership, from elders to teaching pastors. He was also at the forefront of a lot of racial reconcilation efforts, and politics was never preached from the pulpit when i went there. But, Willow Creek is still pretty evangelical in its stance on gay issues and abortion. They just don't make those two issues a huge deal in everyday church life.

Beth Moore studies are attended by women of all degrees of "Christian" but my experience is the ladies go to get out. Out of the house, away from kids, away from husband. My groups never did their homework! There are certifiable Beth-groupies and there are those who don't care. Just because she says it doesn't mean everyone listens or agrees. They're also very easy studies to "host"--stick in the dvd and go thru the questions. It's as hard or as lax as the group.

Hybles's Church is seeker-friendly. Teaching is in Sunday School not the sermon.

Bill Hybels is definitely more mainstream than most of the people we talk about on here. I've gone to willow creek and another church that sprung from willow creek and while I disagree with the above mentioned social stances that still make them fall into the evangelical camp, they are much less in your face than most. As ppmath said women were allowed positions of leadership (which was new for me given how I had been raised). I'd pay money to see Steve Maxwell, Doug Phillips (is a tool), or the PP darken that door.              

Archived