IGNORED

Obama won because he gave poor people gifts

SpeakNow

"You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity — I mean, this is huge."

I'm confused (I hope). Is he saying that families making $25,000 a year should be FINE with paying $10,000 for healthcare? And then live on $15,000 a year?

If this is what he's saying... The cruel, cruel part of me wishes he would have to manage this for a year. If he's going to wish it on other people when he has exactly zero knowledge of what it's like to not have a car elevator at your mansion in La Jolla than I feel relatively comfortable wishing it on him.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity — I mean, this is huge.

I should have known better.

I actually had to look up this quote to verify it. It seemed unthinkable to me that someone would say and mean it to be a negative thing, so I thought someone might have made it up to make Romney look even worse.

But, of course, it turns out that nothing can make Romney look worse than Romney's belief system itself.

I can actually imagine myself saying something like this, because it is true. It's a huge, huge deal that we finally have healthcare for everyone in this country. And I can imagine someone making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told they’re now going to get free health care, particularly if they don’t have it. I imagine the relief and joy they're going to feel that they no longer have to choose between putting food on the table or paying for their heart medication, that a minor illness won't bankrupt them, and that they won't have to wait until they're already seriously sick to go to the doctor.

It's a good fucking thing.

I'd really like to have a program where the people who make our laws, represent our country (all of our country), and enforce our laws have to live for a designated amount of time (say a year) on minimum wage, with no help from relatives or family. And they get $150 in a savings account and can not touch any other money. I want to see them navigate public transportation or drive themselves places with $4.50 gas (not that it's not less than other countries). I want to see them apply for food stamps and learn how to use a SNAP card. I want them to live in rentals, in apartment buildings, to have to have a roommate when they are past college and married. Maybe then they will understand that some of us think $35K isn't a bad salary at all.

I'm confused (I hope). Is he saying that families making $25,000 a year should be FINE with paying $10,000 for healthcare? And then live on $15,000 a year?

Yes, if you read the transcript in its entirety he's clearly saying the working poor should pay over a third of their income to buy a health insurance if they want health coverage. If they can't afford it, (and of course they can't) that's too bad, they shouldn’t have it then. Try to get charity or die. So now we know he really meant those things he said about 47% of the country.

The most incredible thing is that the Affordable Care Act is largely based upon Romneycare which is currently in place in MA. Which not only means Romney is an asshole, he’s also a lunatic.

Maybe then they will understand that some of us think $35K isn't a bad salary at all.

Shit, pay me $35,000 and take $10,000 per year for taxes and I'd still be living comfortably.

The most incredible thing is that the Affordable Care Act is largely based upon Romneycare which is currently in place in MA. Which not only means Romney is an asshole, he’s also a lunatic.

He's not a lunatic, he's actually pretty calculating. He'll say and do whatever it takes to get power. If that means denouncing the very health care system he originated, so be it. If that means telling your billionare donors that poor people don't deserve, literally, to live (because that's what health care comes down to), so be it.

He's not a lunatic, he's actually pretty calculating. He'll say and do whatever it takes to get power. If that means denouncing the very health care system he originated, so be it. If that means telling your billionare donors that poor people don't deserve, literally, to live (because that's what health care comes down to), so be it.

I have to disagree only because he said these things after the election. He's never going to hold elected office again anywhere in this country. So why go there now, unless you are mentally unhinged and/or enraged? Just go buy a fucking island somewhere and leave us alone.

What he does not seem to understand is that his disdain for the poor is the reason a lot of people did not vote for him.

The GOP keeps going back and forth about how maybe they lost the election because they were not conservative enough or their computer program sucked or whatever. But I think the fact that they hate anyone who is not a wealthy white conservative male probably contributed.

I have to disagree only because he said these things after the election. He's never going to hold elected office again anywhere in this country. So why go there now, unless you are mentally unhinged and/or enraged? Just go buy a fucking island somewhere and leave us alone.

Perhaps he's so delusional he believes that when investigations and recounts are done, he'll be named the winner of the 2012 election?

Or more likely, he's scared shitless because of all the money people gave him without any return (what good is buying a candidate if the candidate doesn't win?) and is scrambling to explain his loss in a way that doesn't put any of the fault on Romney (who didn't win Michigan or Massachusetts) or Ryan (who didn't even win in his Wisconsin hometown).

Don't forget Joss Whedon's words on Romney:

He's not afraid to face a ravening, grasping horde of subhumans, because that's how he sees poor people already.
:D

True, I think this specific instance was just him saving face with his rich buddies about how to filthy poor people robbed him of his God-given (by virtue of him being a rich white man) position of power. The 47% comment at his fundraiser was where his calculating side shines through.

We need jericho with his nuggets of wisdom to explain when the gifts will start arriving.

Has Jericho shown up yet? I don't get to check in very often (still cleaning up from Sandy - no heat yet but I do have power, woo hoo!) so I don't want to have missed it. If he has posted can someone point me to it?

According to "Top Republicans", now the reason Obama won was because Romney wasn't specific enough.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ... f=politics

They're really fucking delusional.

In the hallways at the conference, the governors and their top advisers uniformly blamed Romney's loss on an uneven communications strategy. They said Romney allowed himself to be branded a corporate raider who put the interests of the wealthy above those of middle-income voters.

"We didn't have effective means by which to counter the attacks the Obama-Biden campaign took against Mitt Romney and his team," Walker said. "I just don't think you can let that go unanswered."

Maybe they had no way to counter it because it was true?

Has Jericho shown up yet? I don't get to check in very often (still cleaning up from Sandy - no heat yet but I do have power, woo hoo!) so I don't want to have missed it. If he has posted can someone point me to it?

He has posted in several threads. One about the GOP changing, can't remember the title. But he admits he is a troll, says he won't answer questions and he is only here to give us nuggets of wisdom because we all live in liberal bubbles and he is our only contact with conservative people. Or some blathering shit like that.

Maybe they had no way to counter it because it was true?

Exactly. There was no effective way to counter it because Obama wasn't just making stuff up about Romney, he was telling the truth about him. And there was just no way to spin all that to make him look good. He buys companies, lays off the people and sends the jobs to China making himself boatloads of money.

"He has posted in several threads .... some blathering shit "

Well, that's what I'd expect.

So much catching up to do! I'm sure I'll stumble upon his posts. I'll bring a stick with me so I can scrape it out of the treads of my sneakers.

Thanks for the reply.

He has posted in several threads. One about the GOP changing, can't remember the title. But he admits he is a troll, says he won't answer questions and he is only here to give us nuggets of wisdom because we all live in liberal bubbles and he is our only contact with conservative people. Or some blathering shit like that.

Nuggets of wisdom? :lol: How generous of him. He really thinks he's the shit, doesn't he?

If anything, the Mormon church might give him a major leadership position just so he doesn't try to run for office again and embarrass them further than he already has.

This showed up on my facebook feed today. Thought it kind of applied.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

That's a pretty nice poster. :D

I call providing contraceptives good public policy. Forget about human rights and gifts for a sec. How much money do we save to prevent unwanted pregnancies and STDs? It just makes good economic sense. Romney should understand that, given his business background. 8-)

Theres a pic of a t-shirt with the following on the front of it currently circulating on my newsfeed:

Romney lost because he offered jobs to a country that doesn't want to work.

Apparently these people think everyone who voted for Obama are a bunch of lazy people living on welfare. Those of us who did vote for him couldn't have possibly done so because we believe someone shouldn't have to decide between feeding their kids or medical care, or because of the disgusting views the republicans have shown towards women, and certainly not because of Romney's disdainful attitude towards those of us who are not wealthy. Not at all. :roll:

I swear I've been rolling my eyes at this crap so much lately I'm surprised they haven't fallen out of my head.

S's straight out of Ayn Rand. The takers take and take and take from the wealth creators, who have a pure and noble vision such people will never be able to understand. Poor people are either "educationally subnormal" which is DISGUSTING by the way :roll: (how dare they exist?), or lazy or evil.

I have today off, and may write an article on this, because I am one of the few leftists to brave Ms Rand and her works. This is where so much of US right-wing thinking comes from it's dangerous not to understand it.

S's straight out of Ayn Rand. The takers take and take and take from the wealth creators, who have a pure and noble vision such people will never be able to understand. Poor people are either "educationally subnormal" which is DISGUSTING by the way :roll: (how dare they exist?), or lazy or evil.

I have today off, and may write an article on this, because I am one of the few leftists to brave Ms Rand and her works. This is where so much of US right-wing thinking comes from it's dangerous not to understand it.

Even though she was not a Calvinist or even Protestant, I think you have to go back even further to the influence of Calvinism and its concept of the "elect" in certain Protestant doctrine to get a full picture of the roots of US right wing thinking. Hell, you have to dig into the whole relationship between Protestantism and Capitalism in general.

Some of Rand's stuff gave me nightmares when I first read it.

If anything, the Mormon church might give him a major leadership position just so he doesn't try to run for office again and embarrass them further than he already has.

Well, back in the day, notorious John Birch-loving Ezra Taft Benson was also Secretary of Agriculture during the Eisenhower administration. Eisenhower is said to have deliberately appointed him as a lightning rod for criticism. Benson was also an LDS church apostle during that time. So, in the past, serving God and government wasn't mutually exclusive, but I believe it is now. (Example: Dallin Oaks resigned from the Utah Supreme Court when he became an apostle, which is a d*mn good thing, because the guy has shown over the term of his apostleship that he does not respect the First Amendment and, to some extent, the rule of law in general. And he *knows* better.)

ETA: I voted for Obama and I KNOW I pay more taxes than my neighbors with their six-plus tax deductions. I fucking RESENT these Rethuglicans who think those of us who voted for Obama did so because we're lazy. Jackholes, all of them.

Archived