IGNORED

Know any good sci-fi/fantasy romance novels?

AtroposHeart

Jacqueline Carey writes wonderful erotic romantic fantasies. The Kushiels Legacy trilogy is the beginning of quite a long series that is of consistently high quality.

I don't like sci-fi/fantasy romance, but I do like sci-fi and fantasy. Some of the best sci-fi I've read recently include:

Ready Player One by Ernst Cline - video games and 1980's set in the dystopic future

The Highest Frontier by Joan Slonczewski -private school on a orbiting colony set in the dystopic future

When She Woke- by Hillary Jordan- kind of like a mix of The Scarlet Letter and The Handmaid's Tale

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex- YA Sci-fi with aliens easy read, kind of adorable

Mothership by Martin Leicht- pregnant teenage mothers orbiting the earth in an old space cruiser, being attached by really attractive aliens. It sounds wrong, but it's almost slapstick, and surpisingly well written for such a ridiculous concept of a novel.

Mercedes Lackey is my go-to for Fantasy. I really like the 500 Kingdoms series. Start with The Fairy Godmother. These are definite romance novels.

Jasper Fforde had a really interesting series about an alternate world, similar to ours, but where Dodos are cloned house pets, and people can travel into books. It's the Tuesday Next series, and it's really smart.

Terry Pratchett is fantastic. Witches, Trolls, a Patrician for Life Dictator, and Nobby Nobbs.

Oh I love Pratchett. Don't think he would qualify as romance even by the broadest definition, although in my opinion the Lady Sybil/ Sam Vimes relationship is a beautiful romance.

If you have a kindle try out ereaderiq.com. You can narrow down your search to the parameters you want and if they suck you can just move to the next one.

The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger is a steampunk/paranormal/kinda romancy collection. I'm not big on romance, but it's not real heavy in this series.

ETA: There's a definite love story plot throughout the books, but they're not a graphic romance kind thing

How much romance? I love Ilona Andrews. They have the Kate Daniels Series. romance is more secondary but it's really good. They also wrote the Edge series that is only romance in an urban fantasy kinda world.

I like Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters series.

The Wiki blurb:

Set mainly in ancient Ireland, the series covers four generations in the family of Sevenwaters, which enjoys a special relationship with the people of the Otherworld. As well as battles between the Irish Celts and the Britons, internal conflicts between neighbouring landholders are integral to the plots. However, all four books carry a strong romance element. All the books are narrated in the first person by young women of the family.

I like Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters series.

The Wiki blurb:

I love it, and it's not often I come across a fan, it's not widely known (although it's getting more popular). Can't wait for Flame of Sevenwaters. The Bridei chronicles are great too, but she has said that her publishers wonz't publish the fourth book she planned cause there's not enough interest in the US, so she won't write it. I would love it if she gained enough popularity that it was widely read and the final book could be written.

Diana Gabaldon's "outlander " series

If you like these, you may also like the Deborah Harkness All Souls trilogy. Book 2 came out this past summer.

It's been years (like 30) since I read it--and it may no longer be in print--but I think Michael Moorcock's "Gloriana, or The Unfulfill'd Queen" would qualify. As, I think, would "An Alien Heat," also by Moorcock, which is one of my all-time favorite SF novels (it's the first in the "Dancers at the End of TIme" series but I didn't particularly like the rest of them.)

I love it, and it's not often I come across a fan, it's not widely known (although it's getting more popular). Can't wait for Flame of Sevenwaters. The Bridei chronicles are great too, but she has said that her publishers wonz't publish the fourth book she planned cause there's not enough interest in the US, so she won't write it. I would love it if she gained enough popularity that it was widely read and the final book could be written.

That sucks. I haven't read that trilogy yet. The only other one of hers I read was Heart's Blood, which I also liked. I want to read FoS as well but I won't buy a book in hardcover, so I have a bit to wait still. Unless my library gets it (they got the last one).

Emily Gee writes wonderful fantasy romance. I especially enjoyed "The Sentinal Mage"

• 2 weeks later...

For total cheeseb all, fun escapism, try Jayne Castle (AKA Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick).

Robin D. Owens' Celta series that starts with Heart Mate is fun.

My favorite is the JD Robb series by Nora Roerts. They are more romantic suspense/police than sci-fi, but they are kind of futuristic

Ight. Naked in Death is the first.

All of the above are romance first, other genres second, though the JD Robb are very strong mystery/suspense.

For fantasy that is just world building of.sprts and not futuristic, Sherilyn Kenyon is fun. Some of her books are dark and deal with serious issues, but her overall tone is dive-in, suspend disbelief, and have fun.

That sucks. I haven't read that trilogy yet. The only other one of hers I read was Heart's Blood, which I also liked. I want to read FoS as well but I won't buy a book in hardcover, so I have a bit to wait still. Unless my library gets it (they got the last one).

I have it in kindle ( and the Bridei books and the other Sevenwaters ones) . I've heard it's possible to lend kindle books- if you know how I'd be happy to do so.

I'm a big Sheri S. Tepper fan. She writes some pretty good sci-fi/speculative fiction that usually involves feminist and eco themes. Her Singer from the Sea has a decent romance in it.

I also second the Carey "Kushiel" series recommendation.

Also: Hi! Long-time lurker here (for about 2 years).

I'm a big Sheri S. Tepper fan. She writes some pretty good sci-fi/speculative fiction that usually involves feminist and eco themes. Her Singer from the Sea has a decent romance in it.

I also second the Carey "Kushiel" series recommendation.

Also: Hi! Long-time lurker here (for about 2 years).

I love Tepper, has anyone read Madge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time. It is not really romantic but a great sci-fi read with a feminist twist.

I love Tepper, has anyone read Madge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time. It is not really romantic but a great sci-fi read with a feminist twist.

I LOVE Woman on the Edge of Time. Also good is He, She, It also by Madge Piercy. It's a sci-fi take on the Golem myth.

Archived