IGNORED

BrianSusan's Prayer for Hurricane Victims

GeoBQn

BrianSusan, the 19K&C fan who pitched a massive hissy fit when Jews didn't buy his arguments about Jesus being the Jewish messiah, has this fervent prayer on his/her FB page:

I want to pray for the storm victims back East. For the rescue efforts, everyone's safety, that emergency supplies and power can be quickly restored. I pray for the work crews that are working on the power lines for their safety and for the unsaved to be ministered by Christians through the emergency response teams that are sent there and for the unsaved to come to faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior.

To God be the Glory in the midst of this trial.

Because if there is anything hurricane victims need after losing everything, it's an emergency responder hounding them about Jesus.

Brian/Susan has obviously never interacted with a lot of people from the Northeast. If relief workers try and use this collective tragedy as a platform for soul winning, I can guarantee the pushback will be lot nastier than an offhanded "Bless your heart".

We do not suffer proselytizing asshattery gladly.

Fuck that tool.

Does it ever occur to these asshats that perhaps the emergency responders:

A. Don't have time to hound people about Jesus?

B. Are there doing their jobs altruisically and may be of a faith (gasp!) other than Christianity?

C. Know that right after a disaster is not the time/place to proselytize?

Unbelievable.

Does it ever occur to these asshats that perhaps the emergency responders:

A. Don't have time to hound people about Jesus?

B. Are there doing their jobs altruisically and may be of a faith (gasp!) other than Christianity?

C. Know that right after a disaster is not the time/place to proselytize?

Unbelievable.

Oh, in Fundie-land, it's the perfect time. They have a captive audience.

If someone would show up and say "I'm here to help restore your power but before I do are you aware of the power of God?" I very well might sucker punch him.

Fundies, as it says in the bible there is a time and a place for everything. Now is not the time.

Despite being completely without power in my area, with food and gas in short supply, (we're staying with my folks) and me facing the prospect of being out of work for two weeks or more because the town where my job is was especially hard hit and we've got a tree on the roof of the shop, I consider us very lucky. But if any fundie started trying to save my soul, I'd probably find myself under arrest for assault. Shove it, fundies. It seems like no situation is off limits.

My theory is that BrianSusan might be a couple that shares an FB page. I know a couple like that. The husband is a classmate of mine. On the topic of that prayer, BrianSusa is an asshat(s) like mkitten said. Soul winning isn't on the agenda for people assisting hurricane victims. My cousin is a firefighter and a devout Catholic. He would laugh at that prayer. My cousin has said his job is to put out fires and help people out of dangerous situations. He doesn't go on his job, "Ok I'm going to try convert people". My cousin leaves religion out of his job.

I also like mkitten mentioning that responders might be of other faiths than Christianity. That probably doesn't occur to asshats like BrianSusan. He/she probably isn't thinking that some of the responders might be Jews or Muslims or people who have no religious faith. They probably have some fantasy of Christian responders or electrical crew members rescuing and assisting people and saying "Jesus is with you". That stuff isn't happening.

BS (hey! look! BS!) is a husband/wife facebook team. They have to say which one they are before they type, which is annoying.

But, well, it's not as if THAT's the annoying thing about BS, but anyway.

Guest Anonymous
Despite being completely without power in my area, with food and gas in short supply, (we're staying with my folks) and me facing the prospect of being out of work for two weeks or more because the town where my job is was especially hard hit and we've got a tree on the roof of the shop, I consider us very lucky. But if any fundie started trying to save my soul, I'd probably find myself under arrest for assault. Shove it, fundies. It seems like no situation is off limits.

I'd love to see them try that rap on a Breezy Pointer or a Staten Islander. Even the cops would cheer as they got knocked on their asses.

The husband probably made them team up on the facebook page because the wife can't be trusted to have her own.

I'd ask if they have a bible they can give and then mention "We're out of toilet paper."

:lol:

Most Southern Baptist associations have a disaster relief team. I almost joined up when I first went back to a SB church, but I was quickly turned off by the fact that freely admit it's a tool to "save souls".

From the North American Mission Board website:

"2012 Activity Reported to Date

Professions of Faith 152

Gospel Presentations 1,491

Chaplaincy Contacts 3,833

Ministry Contacts 17,799

Other Decisions 42

Volunteer Days 22,815

Meals Prepared 491,047

Chainsaw Jobs 1,696

Mudout Jobs 1,158

Fire Cleanup/Debris Removal 115

Repair/Roofing Jobs 325

Showers 13,761

Laundry Loads 4,893

Children Cared For 364

Messages Sent 2,091"

Why can't they just help people without "witnessing?"

And the couple FB sharing thing: it's a pretty common thing among young Christian couples here. I've heard that preachers encourage it, so the couple can share the gospel on FB without being tempted. :roll: It annoys the crap out of me.

In the initial FB argument, it appeared to be the wife talking, and the "About Me" section is from her POV. Then when people were pointing out various inconsistencies, the story changed to that she had just added her husband onto her profile. Then it was "Don't talk to my wife that way!"

The idea of God being summoned up after disasters and tragic events leaning into faith is an unwritten rule. Lord help you if you say I do not believe God spared me or helped me survive. There was a woman in the Aurora shooting who said publicly I do not think God saved me, and went on to thank the people who helped and she listed everyone from the ambulance driver to all staff in the hospital. Instead of people going oh it is great she put a heartfelt thank you out to secific people she was given flak for not giving God credit.

Kick em while they're down, eh BrianSusan?

Yes, these people need our prayers, but not for their fucking conversion. How about for strength and friends and family and health and safety?

I hate humanity.

The idea of God being summoned up after disasters and tragic events leaning into faith is an unwritten rule. Lord help you if you say I do not believe God spared me or helped me survive. There was a woman in the Aurora shooting who said publicly I do not think God saved me, and went on to thank the people who helped and she listed everyone from the ambulance driver to all staff in the hospital. Instead of people going oh it is great she put a heartfelt thank you out to secific people she was given flak for not giving God credit.

I remember hearing about that woman. I liked what she did more than the teenager who kept saying that God saved him.

The husband probably made them team up on the facebook page because the wife can't be trusted to have her own.

Actually I'm pretty sure Susan roped Brian into it because she couldn't handle the questions being directed to her. I think they were also encouraged by their pastor to be accountable to each other re: the internet. And in Brusan's world, if the pastor said it, it is law :roll:

Actually I'm pretty sure Susan roped Brian into it because she couldn't handle the questions being directed to her. I think they were also encouraged by their pastor to be accountable to each other re: the internet. And in Brusan's world, if the pastor said it, it is law :roll:

Brusan was going to call the cops on us. Tick tock Brusan. If s/he wasn't so mentally unstable I would suggest someone sending them this thread. The meltdown would be epic.

Ugh. These people drive me crazy. Last year, my dad lost his house in a flood that affected most of the town. It wasn't a very "sexy" flood, so there wasn't a huge relief effort, but one thing that sticks out is that the Mormons came and helped my dad gut his house down to the studs. They were surprisingly genuine about it -- no pitch, no invite to church, no pressure. Just a group of missionaries that walked door-to-door to help folks.

True generosity shouldn't come with strings attached. When "help" is really just another opportunity for fundies to sell their imaginary product, it's not called generosity, it's called a bait and switch.

Ugh. These people drive me crazy. Last year, my dad lost his house in a flood that affected most of the town. It wasn't a very "sexy" flood, so there wasn't a huge relief effort, but one thing that sticks out is that the Mormons came and helped my dad gut his house down to the studs. They were surprisingly genuine about it -- no pitch, no invite to church, no pressure. Just a group of missionaries that walked door-to-door to help folks.

True generosity shouldn't come with strings attached. When "help" is really just another opportunity for fundies to sell their imaginary product, it's not called generosity, it's called a bait and switch.

We have seasonal floods here, some come with quite a bit of damage. It's been my experience that the Mormon's roll up their sleeves and come to help without any strings attached. The folks from the local Nazarene church turn out and preach more than they actually work. Our local Habitat called some to task for this behavior and told them to tone it down.

Where are all of these godly people coming.to spread the word of Jesus Christ rushing into NC after storms like Isabel and Irene?

Either they think that since NC is chock full of fundies and other types of Christiand they're wasting their time... Actually, that must be true, because NC is much redder than any Northeastern state.

I do not understand the hate toward hurricane victims who aren't white middle class evangelicals.

And the couple FB sharing thing: it's a pretty common thing among young Christian couples here. I've heard that preachers encourage it, so the couple can share the gospel on FB without being tempted. :roll: It annoys the crap out of me.

There's no way I could do that. My husband's FB page is mostly 80s hair band videos while mine is all LOLcats and Rammstein.

There's no way I could do that. My husband's FB page is mostly 80s hair band videos while mine is all LOLcats and Rammstein.

I could never do that because, I'm, you know, my own individual person with my own unique personality and my own set of friends. Just because I married my husband doesn't mean we share a brain now. I will never understand women who give up their autonomy when they marry. It's a little sad and pathetic.

Archived