IGNORED

Taliban or GOP?

thekate

I got 8/9. Some of the quotes were known to me and I knew the source. The Christian social conservatves tend to make more careful word choices. That appears to be changing. We are frighteningly close to not being able to tell the difference.

6/9

I guess I already can't tell the difference. A little terrifying, I'd say.

I got 7/9 only because I was familiar with some of the fundamentalist Christian quotes. Also some of the Islamic fundamentalist quotes sounded like English was not their first language. But if I didn't follow Christian social conservatives like I do, I wouldn't have gotten any right. They have identical beliefs when it comes to the rights of women, and say identically horrible things.

I always knew there was no difference.

I got a 9 out of 9, because I figured the less extreme and offensive (they were all extreme and offensive but there were varying degrees) quotes were the Muslim extremists. That's pretty fucking sad.

8/9 for me, but only (like others here) because I've kept somewhat abreast of what the Christian fundies spout.

6 out of 9. The Muslim comments are the ones that comment about female urges. Christian conservatives seem to think that women have lower libidos than men.

This quote, though, sounded exactly like some of our stay at home daughters.

"[A girl] can read a useful book, prepare her homework, join a charity, and spend her time doing things that are useful to her in this world and the world to come, instead of thinking about satisfying her urges."– Yusuf al-Qaradhawi, an Egyptian Islamic theologian on the risks of female masturbation in a lecture for Qatar TV

I've surprised that they didn't include the remark by Clayton Williams about bad weather being like rape. The victim just needs to lay back and enjoy it. I can't remember his exact words but that is very close.

Maybe they didn't include the remarks because they were said in the 1990s.

8/9. I used to amuse myself trolling Islamophobic neo-con blogs so probably have an unfair advantage when it comes to recognising Muslim fundie speech.

6 out of 9. The Muslim comments are the ones that comment about female urges. Christian conservatives seem to think that women have lower libidos than men.

"[A girl] can read a useful book, prepare her homework, join a charity, and spend her time doing things that are useful to her in this world and the world to come, instead of thinking about satisfying her urges."– Yusuf al-Qaradhawi, an Egyptian Islamic theologian on the risks of female masturbation in a lecture for Qatar TV

I've surprised that they didn't include the remark by Clayton Williams about bad weather being like rape. The victim just needs to lay back and enjoy it. I can't remember his exact words but that is very close.

I knew that one under the spoilers wasn't a fundie Christian because they would never admit that

women have urges

. That was the biggest difference I noticed, though the end result is the same. Whoever said Christian Taliban for the socially conservative Christian quotes was spot on.

This was kind of fun/scary as hell.

I got 7/9. For me the tell was the grammar/sentence structure.

Same here, 6/9.

Guest Anonymous

Actually, I'm certain it was Tex Antoine, a local weather forecaster in the New York area in the late 1980s. I was watching that broadcast, and as soon as the words left his mouth, the station switchboards lit up like Yankee Stadium and he was fired on the spot.

Actually, I'm certain it was Tex Antoine, a local weather forecaster in the New York area in the late 1980s. I was watching that broadcast, and as soon as the words left his mouth, the station switchboards lit up like Yankee Stadium and he was fired on the spot.

Definitely Tex Antoine, WABC Channel 7, in the late 70s. I was watching too. He made the comment (Confucious say, if rape is inevitable lie back and enjoy it") after a news story about the rape of a 5 year old. FIVE. Apparently Clayton Williams thought it was so funny he had to recycle it years later. Dumbassery never goes out of style.

Archived