IGNORED

Jewish Mother of the Year!

OkToBeTakei

Mazel tov on your achievement, but your cake was crap :lol:

I have never been or even seen a Bar Mitzvah and I am fairly sure this was not a in any way an accurate representation, but WOW the dancing looked amazing!

Israeli trousers as favours. Heston Blumenthal. The very Rabbi looking Rabbi.

I am not sure the premise of this show 'to show the larger British public' how the Jewish community is no different but adds to the fabric of general society will be realised. Looks like another reality competition show.

Highly entertaining though :D

Not in the UK and didn't see the show. I'm hoping it wasn't a cringe-worthy "let's see just how over-the-top a Bar Mitzvah can be" sort of thing.

I take it that this Huff Post blogger wasn't a fan: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jon-spi ... 47430.html

The dancing, though, isn't just a stereotype. We really do start the party off at weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs with a big, wild round of Horah dancing, featuring big circles of dancing, people swining each other around, and lifting up the guests of honor on chairs. At our engagement party, my hubby-to-be kept drinking but never sat down long enough to eat, and there's this moment on the video where you see him being lifted up on the chair....and falling right off!

Not in the UK and didn't see the show. I'm hoping it wasn't a cringe-worthy "let's see just how over-the-top a Bar Mitzvah can be" sort of thing.

I take it that this Huff Post blogger wasn't a fan: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jon-spi ... 47430.html

The dancing, though, isn't just a stereotype. We really do start the party off at weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs with a big, wild round of Horah dancing, featuring big circles of dancing, people swining each other around, and lifting up the guests of honor on chairs. At our engagement party, my hubby-to-be kept drinking but never sat down long enough to eat, and there's this moment on the video where you see him being lifted up on the chair....and falling right off!

It is a type of competition show where the Mothers are given a different task every week. Last night was Bar Mitzvah. I tend to agree with the blogger.

But the dancing was amazing and just looked FUN! Sheets, flying people in sheets and chairs. I will take it with a huge pinch of salt in regards to the TV portrayal of your culture and will ask. I just hope it is not what the casual viewer will think is the norm :(

Did the dancing look anything like this:

(skip to 3:15)

I don't know these people, it was just the first YouTube search result for horah dancing wedding. The dancing they show in this clip is pretty typical for most Jewish weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. My family is just a touch wilder.

I watched a bit. Was hoping to see more background info on the women. Especially the one with the head covering and the Irish lady (as there are practically zero Jews in holy catholic Ireland). Some seemed v glam and rich and others v ordinary. Will watch again next week.

Archived