IGNORED

Homeschoolers And The State Board Of Education

Want More Babies

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/women ... escho.html

Shelli had this to say (it is at the 5:15 pm mark on Sept. 27) which I find disturbing.

There is also a different component to the home schooling movement and that is the statistical evidence that home school families that are conservative Christians tend to work civicly, for candidates in election campaigns that outright devote themselves to keeping home schooling legally and politically unencumbered. Our statewide home school Political Action Committee proves it. We have elected two people to our State Board of Education that support home schooling, along with providing our governor with an At-Large appointment that has tilted the board in favor of home schooling by one vote, all in the space of 2 years. This years seven seats are up on this nonpartisan board and we have recruited for every seat and hope to take over the board.

I don't know which state she lives in but can you imagine what would happen if homeschoolers made up an entire state school board? This is scary to me.

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/women/2012/09/a-new-chapter-for-the-homescho.html

Shelli had this to say (it is at the 5:15 pm mark on Sept. 27) which I find disturbing.

I don't know which state she lives in but can you imagine what would happen if homeschoolers made up an entire state school board? This is scary to me.

I really want to know what state this is. Because this is scary as fuck.

You want to homeschool? Fine. Then stay completely out of anything public school related like the Board of Education.

I wonder if theres a way to get the word out to educators in the area it's happening in so they can make parents and others aware of this "movement".

I wonder if theres a way to get the word out to educators in the area it's happening in so they can make parents and others aware of this "movement".

Yes, I would imagine so. We'd need to know what school board the OP is referring to. Then we could print it out, send the link, ect to the people running against the pro-homeschoolers. Maybe let local press know.

ETA: I clicked on the name of the person who wrote that comment. It took me to her blog. She's in Georgia.

mamaoflettersDOTcom/about/

I don't fear homeschoolers on the school board although it seems odd to advocate and practice homeschooling and then want to participate in actively running the public schools. However, I can accept a few homeschoolers on the board to provide that perspective. Their children may want to use the public school from time to time.

I'm more concerned by the idea that conservative Christians are trying to take over the board. And it's the conservative strain that homeschools because they think kids are being taught evil evolution and sex education and not enough Bible. I fear for public schools that would have a team of Santorums outlining the curriculum.

In some states, the Board of Education doesn't just oversee public schools. Homeschoolers in those states are required to have a home visit from a Board of Ed representative once a year. (I lived in one such state for quite a few of my years as a homeschooled child. Most of our Board of Ed reps were really nice and professional; one outright lied to us about several issues.) In those states, at least, it would indeed make sense for homeschoolers to want to be involved in the Board of Education.

In some states, the Board of Education doesn't just oversee public schools. Homeschoolers in those states are required to have a home visit from a Board of Ed representative once a year. (I lived in one such state for quite a few of my years as a homeschooled child. Most of our Board of Ed reps were really nice and professional; one outright lied to us about several issues.) In those states, at least, it would indeed make sense for homeschoolers to want to be involved in the Board of Education.

My state Dept. of Ed overseas homeschooling although it does not have a home visit mandate. The board gets pressured to enact home visits every time a home school child dies of abuse and neglect here in Boregonia.

You want to homeschool? Fine. Then stay completely out of anything public school related like the Board of Education.

That's not exactly fair if the Board of Education is going to be making rules/regulations for homeschoolers. If homeschoolers are legally bound by an institution that is supposed to be representative (like an elected school board) then they have the right to be represented. That's America, we like representation.

That's not exactly fair if the Board of Education is going to be making rules/regulations for homeschoolers. If homeschoolers are legally bound by an institution that is supposed to be representative (like an elected school board) then they have the right to be represented. That's America, we like representation.

I can see them having representation, but I think there should be a limit (something like 1-2 seats) based on the proportion of homeschoolers.

I can see them having representation, but I think there should be a limit (something like 1-2 seats) based on the proportion of homeschoolers.

Are there other limits like this in representative government? Like perhaps we should limit it to 50/50 men and women?

Are there other limits like this in representative government? Like perhaps we should limit it to 50/50 men and women?

I would view it as being akin to states having different levels of representation in the House - big states have more reps.

But yes, I think that while they should have representation, because there are often oversight requirements and homeschoolers are often able to receive services/participate in activities - I don't think that they should be able to take over a board of education. The board is supposed to oversee public schooling, and I don't think that people who are against public schooling should be able to undermine it - which appears to be what the person quoted in the original post on this thread was trying to do.

I would view it as being akin to states having different levels of representation in the House - big states have more reps.

But yes, I think that while they should have representation, because there are often oversight requirements and homeschoolers are often able to receive services/participate in activities - I don't think that they should be able to take over a board of education. The board is supposed to oversee public schooling, and I don't think that people who are against public schooling should be able to undermine it - which appears to be what the person quoted in the original post on this thread was trying to do.

If the board of education is policing homeschooling then I think homeschoolers have a right to be on the board. If the board of education is policing homeschooling and all the members are public school is that the same as the public school people "taking over" the school board?

The lady in the OP (not the OP, but the one quoted) might be crazy, but I hesitate to make policy based on bad apples. Restricting the rights of the many over the idiocy of the few is not something I'm comfortable with.

If the board of education is policing homeschooling then I think homeschoolers have a right to be on the board. If the board of education is policing homeschooling and all the members are public school is that the same as the public school people "taking over" the school board?

I agree they have a right to be there - I even would be fine with a requirement that at least one seat is reserved for a homeschooler to ensure that they get that representation. The board's purpose, however, is to support public schooling.

The lady in the OP (not the OP, but the one quoted) might be crazy, but I hesitate to make policy based on bad apples. Restricting the rights of the many over the idiocy of the few is not something I'm comfortable with.

I would argue that having a school board dominated by people who mistrust public schooling, people that make decisions about what can be taught (teach the controversy) and decide what textbooks schools are going to buy, is restricting the rights of the many.

I agree they have a right to be there - I even would be fine with a requirement that at least one seat is reserved for a homeschooler to ensure that they get that representation. The board's purpose, however, is to support public schooling.

I would argue that having a school board dominated by people who mistrust public schooling, people that make decisions about what can be taught (teach the controversy) and decide what textbooks schools are going to buy, is restricting the rights of the many.

:text-goodpost:

I understand your concerns, I feel like you don't understand mine. You probably do understand though and we're just disagreeing. I don't have anything more to say for my side so I guess we'll have to disagree forever. :dance:

I understand your general concern, but I disagree on the best way to carry it out.

I do agree though that there's no use going back and forth all night!

In my state, there is very little policing of homeschooling; the only requirement is that students are taught "good citizenship". In that situation, would you be ok with homeschoolers being prevented from joining the school board?

In my state, there is very little policing of homeschooling; the only requirement is that students are taught "good citizenship". In that situation, would you be ok with homeschoolers being prevented from joining the school board?

I think I live in the same state as you, SnowDog. I homeschool my kids and it wouldn't occur to me to run for the school board, because as far as I'm concerned I don't have a dog in that fight--well, any more so than the average citizen. However, if I lived in a place where I had to deal with the school system as a homeschooler, I'd probably feel very differently.

I don't know if I'm really okay with anyone being "prevented" from running for elected office. I would be fine with people actively trying to make sure they weren't elected by informing people that they are not a good fit for the school board. I think Paul Ryan has every right to run for office, and I have every right to tell everyone he's a douche and shouldn't be elected.

I think I live in the same state as you, SnowDog. I homeschool my kids and it wouldn't occur to me to run for the school board, because as far as I'm concerned I don't have a dog in that fight--well, any more so than the average citizen. However, if I lived in a place where I had to deal with the school system as a homeschooler, I'd probably feel very differently.

Just to go a bit further, I am a homeschooler and I don't have to deal with the government as homeschooling (sadly) is mostly unregulated in my state. However, I have thought about running for school board. I don't "mistrust" the school system, I think it needs improved. The state of the public schools does affect me, it affects everyone whether your kids go to school or whether you don't have kids. The public schools are the thing keeping this country from turning in to chaotic stupidity. I think if I see areas for improvement then as a member of the citizenry it's my right and responsibility to try to help out. That being said, I think that it's probably better if unconstitutional decisions are barred somehow. (i.e. the teach the controversy bullshit)

I wonder if it would be better to restrict the amount of idiocy the school board has access to rather than restricting the amount of idiots. I think I would be very comfortable with a national curriculum based on evidence based science, math, etc. that the school board HAD to follow. I would be comfortable with laws that guarantee the separation of religion and schools.

I don't know if I'm really okay with anyone being "prevented" from running for elected office. I would be fine with people actively trying to make sure they weren't elected by informing people that they are not a good fit for the school board. I think Paul Ryan has every right to run for office, and I have every right to tell everyone he's a douche and shouldn't be elected.

Foreigners are prevented from running for president; unrelated strangers don't join the PTA. I'm not sure out woulda be too unreasonable to treat a board of education similarly.

Foreigners are prevented from running for president; unrelated strangers don't join the PTA. I'm not sure out woulda be too unreasonable to treat a board of education similarly.

Those are good examples. I'll think about my position more in light of that. I have a question though for those who do not want homeschoolers allowed on the school board, what about single childless people?

In terms of single childless people, if they had education credentials (teacher, child psychologist, etc) and/or their goal was improving public education, why wouldn't you want them?

Archived