IGNORED

Homeschoolers And The State Board Of Education

Want More Babies

In terms of single childless people, if they had education credentials (teacher, child psychologist, etc) and/or their goal was improving public education, why wouldn't you want them?

I don't know. I was trying to figure out if the problem was "you don't have kids in the school system" or "I don't like homeschoolers" because most of the homeschoolers I know do not want to ruin the public schools, they want them fixed. I just think it's a few really really bad apples that could ruin it for the whole bunch. I know a lot of homeschoolers who use the public schools and want them to be the best they can. I guess I'm just always defensive when homeschoolers are lumped in with the ATI idiot types.

My concern is that many of the homeschoolers in my local area do so because they don't want their children to learn about evolution or sex education. We have enough problems with teaching kids science and health without people who believe the earth is 6000 years old running the show.

My concern is that many of the homeschoolers in my local area do so because they don't want their children to learn about evolution or sex education. We have enough problems with teaching kids science and health without people who believe the earth is 6000 years old running the show.

Agreed. I would just rather there be laws to prevent creationism being taught in the classroom and that enforce comprehensive sex education.

Those are good examples. I'll think about my position more in light of that. I have a question though for those who do not want homeschoolers allowed on the school board, what about single childless people?

Arch-conservatives taking over school committees/school boards has been happening since the 80's. Actually, it has probably been happening since before, but that is when I became aware of it. How did I become aware? By learning to read the local newspaper beyond "Dear Abby" and the comics. The fact of the matter is, most people pay little if any attention to local elections. The conservative movement was counting on this apathy to get them into these positions in the 80's. It's sad, really, because governemt on the local level is that which probably has the most effect on us as individuals.

This talk about disallowing certain members of a community from running scares me, as does this talk about the "right" to serve on said boards. If, as a candidate, you met the residency requirement, followed the rules when you filed your papers of notification to run, gathered enough signatures to get put on the ballot, and won the most votes on election night, then guess what? You have the right to serve in the position to which you were elected.

If you don't like certain people in the pool of candidates running for these seats, then don't vote for them. Better yet, take out papers, and run for the seat yourself!

Archived