IGNORED

Christy - the series and movies

Sister Mozz

I searched but didn't see a topic dedicated to the adaptations of Catherine Marshall's book. I am re-watching the series and thought it would be fun to discuss it!

I was 11 when this show first came on and my family taped the first season, so I saw each of them several times. But it has been 15 years anyway since I saw any of them, so it has been interesting to revisit. I have now watched through all the episodes that I've seen, and I'm looking forward to seeing season 2 as soon as Netflix can get it to me.

The show is more preachy than I remember. I always thought Reverend David Grantland was annoying, but now I think he's outright creeptastic. :o Christy does seem very young now, although I still think Kellie Martin is very pretty. Doctor MacNeill's accent is sexy, even if it's not that believable that he'd have it when his family had lived in Tennessee for several generations. Miss Alice was an enigma to me as a preteen, and she's still a very complex and interesting character.

Although I didn't see the second season, I did watch the three made-for-TV movies which PAX/ION put out several years later. It was interesting to me that while Kellie Martin always seemed suited physically and personality-wise to MacNeill, the actress who played Christy in the movies (Lauren Lee Smith) seemed tall, skinny, and timid... like she would be better off choosing David.

The last episode I watched was "The Sweetest Gift" and no amount of internet searching can reveal to me WHY Martin started using a different accent. :roll: It drove me crazy, and I hope she doesn't keep it up!

I'm looking forward to seeing the Levar Burton episodes, because I love LB!

Edited to add a letter.

I watched the show some but I loved, loved, loved the book growing up. I must admit I had a crush on Dr. MacNeill!

I watched the show some but I loved, loved, loved the book growing up. I must admit I had a crush on Dr. MacNeill!

I only watched a couple episodes of Christy, but I loved the book, too. I must have read it half a dozen times when I was a kid. My dad's family in Tennessee lived not too far down the mountains from where the story took place, so I always imagined I had a sort of connection to the people in the book.

I think I didn't care much for the TV series because I don't particularly like Tyne Daly as an actress. Her portrayal of Alice Henderson was way off my mental picture of the character.

Wish I still had a copy of this book, I'd love to read it again all these years later. :)

I read the book once when I was maybe 15. I don't remember very much about it, except it was pretty realistic and shocking compared to what I was used to reading. Watching the series has brought up an interest to read it again!

The book makes it pretty clear that at that time in history non-wealthy women weren't sitting around sipping tea and waiting for a husband to fall into their laps. Also, the mountain people weren't shy about sex. LOL Probably why you don't hear fundies gushing on about this book a lot.

The book makes it pretty clear that at that time in history non-wealthy women weren't sitting around sipping tea and waiting for a husband to fall into their laps. Also, the mountain people weren't shy about sex. LOL Probably why you don't hear fundies gushing on about this book a lot.

You are so right! I was shocked at the description of what happened after Ruby Mae's wedding (at least I think it was Ruby Mae!). That's actually the part of the book I remember the most clearly, because it so horrified my sheltered existence at that time. :lol:

Archived