IGNORED

Season 6 of 19 Kids and Counting. God help us all!

Buzzard

You know what else is none of our damn business? Everything that these people put on television! He's putting himself out there for public consumption, so if I want to remark that the man-child looks like he's sweating grease, I can. Josh puts his family's lifestyle out there as the pinnacle of what is to be immulated. I think it's justifiable to call him out on where his lifestyle is lacking.

I think the difference is, these people are putting their religion out there and promoting it as the best and Godly way of living. That's damaging to society and the children they are raising and deserves to be called out. Him eating crappy food and being unhealthy? That's between him and his doctor. I'm not hand slapping, you certainly can mock him for his weight and appearance; just as I can tell you that you ARE fat shaming, it's a form of bullying, and disguising it as a concern for his health and his kids losing a father doesn't change that.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse Miss Fancy Pants up there, but I married into a family of stick figures and being overweight, know first-hand how fat shaming works. I have a thyroid problem that got out of control yet again this spring. I am also in perimenopause (possibly menopause) which caused me to gain 10 MORE pounds last spring without altering one thing in my diet/exercise routine. As as result of the health issues, going on 5 years now, I'm borderline obese without doing anything wrong. My endo suggested I try the South Beach diet. Three months later? I haven't lost shit, despite eating clean as a whistle. In fact, I think I've GAINED a couple more pounds because I had foot surgery and can barely walk, let alone run. Smuggar has none of these challenges.

Bottom line, I am able to discern that this particular person is overweight due to his own slovenly habits. I know people judge me and I am quick to tell them of my health issues. Further, Smuggar BEGS for it by posting pictures of the nasty junk food he eats almost daily. Hell, his own wife cheered him on when he ate a marginally healthy (compared to his normal fare) turkey sandwich at work. He's aware and he does nothing to change himself, apparently thinking himself infallible, so why not call him out? He WANTS to be a fucking martyr.

Trust me, when one of my stick figure inlaws (my 95 lb. MIL in particular) calls someone marginally overweight "fat," I lay into her about not knowing someone's issues. How would she feel if someone told HER to eat a fucking sandwich?

In my case, I'm calling out two people who eat shit, admittedly don't exercise, and as a result of this lifestyle, are under 25 and borderline obese. If I didn't know this, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Excuse Miss Fancy Pants up there, but I married into a family of stick figures and being overweight, know first-hand how fat shaming works. I have a thyroid problem that got out of control yet again this spring. I am also in perimenopause (possibly menopause) which caused me to gain 10 MORE pounds last spring without altering one thing in my diet/exercise routine. As as result of the health issues, going on 5 years now, I'm borderline obese without doing anything wrong. My endo suggested I try the South Beach diet. Three months later? I haven't lost shit, despite eating clean as a whistle. In fact, I think I've GAINED a couple more pounds because I had foot surgery and can barely walk, let alone run. Smuggar has none of these challenges.

Bottom line, I am able to discern that this particular person is overweight due to his own slovenly habits. I know people judge me and I am quick to tell them of my health issues. Further, Smuggar BEGS for it by posting pictures of the nasty junk food he eats almost daily. Hell, his own wife cheered him on when he ate a marginally healthy (compared to his normal fare) turkey sandwich at work. He's aware and he does nothing to change himself, apparently thinking himself infallible, so why not call him out? He WANTS to be a fucking martyr.

Trust me, when one of my stick figure inlaws (my 95 lb. MIL in particular) calls someone marginally overweight "fat," I lay into her about not knowing someone's issues. How would she feel if someone told HER to eat a fucking sandwich?

In my case, I'm calling out two people who eat shit, admittedly don't exercise, and as a result of this lifestyle, are under 25 and borderline obese. If I didn't know this, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

But why is obesity a reason to call someone out? Obesity isn't a moral failure.

But Michelle's health is also between her and her doctor, and that's never stopped anyone here from speculating about how dangerous her pregnancies are, how much she's risking her health having more babies, how she's developing osteoporosis from having so many pregnancies, etc. I agree that fat shaming shouldn't be encouraged, whether the subject is Josh or anyone else, but I can see why the snark goes there sometimes. The line between what is "allowed" and "not allowed" to be discussed on a forum like this is extremely blurry.

I see where you are coming from. I think the difference for me is that no one is snarking on her appearance in those cases. Being fat in Western society is such a stigma and fat shaming is so prevalent and socially accepted, I think it is important to bring attention to it when it does happen. But it is a fine line on a snark forum such as this. Just my opinion.

:text-yeahthat:

And none of know what the state of Michelle's uterus is either. But we can take an educated guess that it's paper thin and we talk about that ad nauseum when she's pregnant/speculating that she's pregnant. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to say that Josh's cholesterol level is probably through the roof considering he posts pictures of his trans fat diet constantly.

I don't talk about the state of Michelle's uterus because I am not qualified to do so - it's as simple as that. In any case, poor health is not a moral failure. Why is it OK to mock someone with high cholesterol but not someone with cancer, for example? Why is one form of poor health morally acceptable but not another?

I don't talk about the state of Michelle's uterus because I am not qualified to do so - it's as simple as that. In any case, poor health is not a moral failure. Why is it OK to mock someone with high cholesterol but not someone with cancer, for example? Why is one form of poor health morally acceptable but not another?

Seriously? You're trying to equate eating fried foods to the point of almost having a stroke with cancer? You know that almost all cancers are not preventable right? Typing on this computer will not give me leukemia or ovarian cancer, however if I sit here and eat 6 boxes of fried Krispie Kreme doughnuts every day it will certainly contribute to high cholesterol which is a major factor for heart disease. Were you around when Josh was on the "Santourin' Express and eating every piece of fried food he could get his hands on and taking pictures of it?

ETA: http://www.hulu.com/watch/60128 American Dad, Live and Let Fry

I see where you are coming from. I think the difference for me is that no one is snarking on her appearance in those cases. Being fat in Western society is such a stigma and fat shaming is so prevalent and socially accepted, I think it is important to bring attention to it when it does happen. But it is a fine line on a snark forum such as this. Just my opinion.

That's fine. I don't disagree on those points, particularly. But people do snark on Michelle's appearance for reasons relating to her pregnancies, and not. The shirts she wears, how she styles her hair (for some people she has the nickname of Mullet), what her and JB's sex life is like (which applies to a number of other fundies as well). Other people would also find that kind of snark to be a problem. On a forum with hundreds of members, different people draw the line in different places.

As far as Josh goes, he is called Smuggar for a reason. On last night's show in particular, he went on and on about how his life is perfect, his choices were perfect, his behavior is perfect, and that's why he's rewarded with all the things a good little patriarch needs to live a full life. That attitude encourages some people to point out the obvious ways in which his life and his behavior are not perfect, and they may or may not consider that fat shaming.

Thanks for posting this! I always feel like we need to have CYA footage of things like this. Now, we need to get this clip over to the FB page and maybe that'll get the leghumpers to finally admit that there's a connection!

TLC has edited Duggar/Bates episodes on a few occasions. They may do it on other shows, but I dont watch them enough to notice. They CLEARLY edited the Jubilee fiasco and it wouldnt surprise me if Gothard is AWOL from future airings of the wedding.

TSK TSK TLC, we know a fuckton more about the Duggars than you do - and we have screen caps.

I'm wondering if Joshie's cryptic tweets about "loss" were related to the repeats of the Jubilee BS. I cant wait to see the ratings on this trainwreck. I'm betting they dont crack 1 million.

I never realized Josh was at "the point of almost having a stroke". I must have missed that somehow. There is snark then there is speculation then there is pulling stuff out of thin air.

You really should read these threads charizbarb and remember this is a snark board. Don't go around handslapping like an angry sunday school teacher before you read the back story. You are obviously new, and haven't observed lardlads poor lifestyle choices in action. These threads document those poor choices on an almost daily basis. Many of us here don't have perfect bodies and like marmalade fight to lose weight and work to live a healthy lifestyle. We do not dine out on fatty slop and transfats three times a day. We recognize the struggles many of us have, but to say that Smugger faces those same struggles is just plain bullshit.

You really should read these threads charizbarb and remember this is a snark board. Don't go around handslapping like an angry sunday school teacher before you read the back story. You are obviously new, and haven't observed lardlads poor lifestyle choices in action. These threads document those poor choices on an almost daily basis. Many of us here don't have perfect bodies and like marmalade fight to lose weight and work to live a healthy lifestyle. We do not dine out on fatty slop and transfats three times a day. We recognize the struggles many of us have, but to say that Smugger faces those same struggles is just plain bullshit.

Oh, experiencedd, how I adore thee! You took the words right out of my mouth (er, fingers?). :clap:

I think for me, personally, there's a line. I might snark about his eating habits but probably wouldn't make comments about whether or not he can find his penis. That's just me, a fat girl who sometimes gets uncomfortable when it's implied that I'm fat because I'm a terrible human being and/or some kind of hateful person. I can only police myself though, so I guess if you don't like it don't say it. Sometimes I do scroll really fast, just to avoid handslapping.

That's fine. I don't disagree on those points, particularly. But people do snark on Michelle's appearance for reasons relating to her pregnancies, and not. The shirts she wears, how she styles her hair (for some people she has the nickname of Mullet), what her and JB's sex life is like (which applies to a number of other fundies as well). Other people would also find that kind of snark to be a problem. On a forum with hundreds of members, different people draw the line in different places.

As far as Josh goes, he is called Smuggar for a reason. On last night's show in particular, he went on and on about how his life is perfect, his choices were perfect, his behavior is perfect, and that's why he's rewarded with all the things a good little patriarch needs to live a full life. That attitude encourages some people to point out the obvious ways in which his life and his behavior are not perfect, and they may or may not consider that fat shaming.

Oh, I totally agree in regards to Josh. Smuggar is a perfect nickname and I can't wait until he gets knocked down a peg or two (or three or four). Preferably by a woman. The Fundy lifestyle has so many things wrong in regards to women's rights, child raising, etc. and poor eating habits, especially when you are passing them on to the children, are certainly concerning. But I admit that I'm sensitive on this subject, as fat shaming seems to be coming more and more acceptable as long as you tie it up with a "health concerns" bow. C'est la vie. :)

Charzibarb never said that. Also, I don't read what they are saying as handslapping. YMMV (and it obviously does... so I guess... YMdoesV)

I just caught the last half of the Great Smugger Weight Debate. Since this is a SNARK board, everything and anything that we see is on the show is up for grabs. We have talked about Michelle's health, her gynecological issues, the Duggar girls outfits and hair....why should Josh's weight be off limits? After all, Josh likes to showcase his life as proof of his family's "superior" lifestyle. We see him eat, we see his wife's idea of meal planning, we see the weight gain, therefore it's up for snark.

There's a difference between "fat shaming" and speaking about fat as a serious health issue. I often tell my patients they need to lose weight. These are not makeover tips! I do so because they are borderline diabetic, they are 30 and have arthritic knees, or they are major candidates for a stroke or heart attack.

As for the idea that if it was only as simple as eating and exercising, fatness wouldn't' be a problem. Actually, I'd disagree. If only people WOULD eat better and exercise more, half my patients wouldn't need to show up! There are other factors which contribute to obesity in this country but lifestyle is a major factor. I remind my patients that they can't change their genetic predisposition to weight gain, but they can control their lifestyle that causes it.

The problem is most people think of diet as a temporary thing. NO. Whatever lifestyle changes you make that loses the weight, you must stick with it and not go back to the lifestyle that made you put on the weight in the first place! That's why diets "don't work". It's easy to cut out bacon and cookies for six month, most people can't do it for the rest of their life. That's why I counsel patients to tailor a diet that is doable because it has to be long term. I counsel moderation and 'small steps'. Most of all, I remind them it's not a moral failing to be overweight but a health issue. And before people bring up metabolic issues....yes, I screen for them when a patient consistently fails to lose weight. Not surprisingly, most people are fat because they eat more than they burn off.

Josh Duggar, for perhaps emotional or lifestyle reasons, is gaining an unhealthy amount of weight. There's a slim chance he has an endocrine issue but more likely there's a lifestyle cause for it. Whatever the reason, that rapid weight gain, and the amount of weight gain is concerning. If Josh continues on this path, he will start experiencing obesity related health issues in the next 10-15 years. This isn't fat shaming. This is backed by decades of medical evidence that show obesity is unhealthy. It may not be any of our business that he has a health issue, but since he put himself out there, it's up for discussion.

Don't they believe in the 7 Deadly Sins? Isn't Gluttony one of them? Smuggar packs his body (and from what we've seen, his kids' as well) with crap food just about every day, and from what we can ascertain from seeing his Instagram over the past year or so, almost every MEAL, yes, he's failing in terms of the morality HE is professing to uphold.

I usually try to stay out of these arguments, but . . .

Does Josh deserve to be snarked upon for any and all of the smug, obnoxious things he does? Sure.

Might his eating and sloth habits point up the flaws in an upbringing that included a crappy diet, rigid control, forced labor, being the "crown prince," and the need to share food between a huge number of people? Yes.

Does that make it logical to vacillate between being disgusted by him and even more angry at his parents for the way they raised him, and to comment, now and then, on his diet and lack of activity? Absolutely.

Is this a snark board, on which anything goes, and is that major reason to love FJ? Yes (which is why I usually stay out of these arguments -- no matter how many times someone says "this is my opinion," it is hard not to sound like you are making up imaginary rules for others).

But the focus on his girth sometimes bothers me. Here are my feelings (let me repeat -- my feelings -- I'm not making up imaginary rules or handslapping):

1. I skim the Josh's Instagram thread, looking for anything interesting. And it does get interesting. But, pages and pages of it look like this to me:

Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh is fat, look at the greasy disgusting food Josh eats, Josh is fat, OMGodhaveyounoticedhowfatJoshis, Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh's fat disgusts me, Josh said something douchy again (for which I stop and read in more detail), Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh is fat

(and may I take a break to say, as someone who grew up when all writing was done with a pen, pencil, or if you were lucky, a typewriter, how much I love cut-and-paste! :D )

Josh is fat, how gross it must be for Anna to have that fat all over her, nah he probably can't get it up because he's so fat, Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh said something bigoted (I stop to read in more detail) Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh is greasy and unhealthy and his hair is receding, Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh quoted some right-wing woman-hater (I stop to read), Josh is fat, Josh is going to explode/have a heart attack/have a stroke, have we mentioned Josh is fat . . .

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. ;)

But, among other things, I find it really boring. Newsflash -- Josh has gained a substantial amount of weight fairly quickly. :sleeping-sleeping:

2. I think that speculation on what Josh's diet and sloth might be doing to his health are analogous to speculating on what many childbirths might have done to OfJimBob's uterus. And, if it is expressed that way, it doesn't bother me too much. But it often seems like just a smoke screen for "let's make fun of someone who has gained weight."

3. I wonder if there would be so much mockery of what he eats if he posted all of the same pictures of food, but happened not have to gained weight since leaving the compound.

4. I find the "their inner ugliness shows on the outside" stuff, about Josh, Zsu, or anyone else, understandable, but sort of naive, and sometimes even distracting from the real filth they spew. Their personalities are ugly, vile, and sickening -- I couldn't care less how they look.

We're a bright, insightful group, I think. Clearly, people posting here know a person can look fabulous and be slime -- heck, the fact that we see past the "smile at all times, and curl your hair" crap is one of the reasons we are on FJ, rather than leghumping.

And I think we all know the opposite can be true - a life of fighting the good fight and caring more about substance than surface can make an amazing, decent person look careworn.

Oh, and just a reminder -- I'm not telling anyone else how to post! Really. Just expressing my opinion.

And I know I can just ignore the Instagram thread. But I'm glad I check it now and then -- finding out that Josh sang "This Land is Your Land," clearly having no knowledge of its radical roots, was worth it all! :lol:

edited for clarity about the pictures of food.

I usually try to stay out of these arguments, but . . .

Does Josh deserve to be snarked upon for any and all of the smug, obnoxious things he does? Sure.

Might his eating and sloth habits point up the flaws in an upbringing that included a crappy diet, rigid control, forced labor, being the "crown prince," and the need to share food between a huge number of people? Yes.

Does that make it logical to vacillate between being disgusted by him and even more angry at his parents for the way they raised him, and to comment, now and then, on his diet and lack of activity? Absolutely.

Is this a snark board, on which anything goes, and is that major reason to love FJ? Yes (which is why I usually stay out of these arguments -- no matter how many times someone says "this is my opinion," it is hard not to sound like you are making up imaginary rules for others).

But the focus on his girth sometimes bothers me. Here are my feelings (let me repeat -- my feelings -- I'm not making up imaginary rules or handslapping):

1. I skim the Josh's Instagram thread, looking for anything interesting. And it does get interesting. But, pages and pages of it look like this to me:

Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh is fat, look at the greasy disgusting food Josh eats, Josh is fat, OMGodhaveyounoticedhowfatJoshis, Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh's fat disgusts me, Josh said something douchy again (for which I stop and read in more detail), Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh is fat

(and may I take a break to say, as someone who grew up when all writing was done with a pen, pencil, or if you were lucky, a typewriter, how much I love cut-and-paste! :D )

Josh is fat, how gross it must be for Anna to have that fat all over her, nah he probably can't get it up because he's so fat, Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh said something bigoted (I stop to read in more detail) Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh is greasy and unhealthy and his hair is receding, Josh is fat, Josh is fat, Josh quoted some right-wing woman-hater (I stop to read), Josh is fat, Josh is going to explode/have a heart attack/have a stroke, have we mentioned Josh is fat . . .

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. ;)

But, among other things, I find it really boring. Newsflash -- Josh has gained a substantial amount of weight fairly quickly. :sleeping-sleeping:

2. I think that speculation on what Josh's diet and sloth might be doing to his health are analogous to speculating on what many childbirths might have done to OfJimBob's uterus. And, if it is expressed that way, it doesn't bother me too much. But it often seems like just a smoke screen for "let's make fun of someone who has gained weight."

3. I wonder if there would be so much mockery of what he eats if he posted all of the same pictures, but happened not have to gained weight since leaving the compound.

4. I find the "their inner ugliness shows on the outside" stuff, about Josh, Zsu, or anyone else, understandable, but sort of naive, and sometimes even distracting from the real filth they spew. Their personalities are ugly, vile, and sickening -- I couldn't care less how they look.

We're a bright, insightful group, I think. Clearly, people posting here know a person can look fabulous and be slime -- heck, the fact that we see past the "smile at all times, and curl your hair" crap is one of the reasons we are on FJ, rather than leghumping.

And I think we all know the opposite can be true - a life of fighting the good fight and caring more about substance than surface can make an amazing, decent person look careworn.

Oh, and just a reminder -- I'm not telling anyone else how to post! Really. Just expressing my opinion.

And I know I can just ignore the Instagram thread. But I'm glad I check it now and then -- finding out that Josh sang "This Land is Your Land," clearly having no knowledge of its radical roots, was worth it all! :lol:

ITA with all of this. You've expressed exactly what I was trying to say in a much more eloquent way. :)

There is a world of difference between noticing the declines in Michelle's physical health, and that is probably due to too many pregancies, and calling Josh LardLad and posting every single time the guy buys a hamburger. No one has decided to call Michelle Ms. Osteoporosis, as far as I can tell.

Sprocket, you can deny it all you want, but you and the others that do it consider Josh's overeating to be a major character flaw. One only has to read the Josh's Instagram thread (one which I have avoided until recently, and was shocked at what goes on there) to see how that's the main thrust of the snark there. Your argument that he's put his life out in the public so he's fair game is hardly an apt one. Being in the public eye does not mean a person ceases to be a person who is entitled to fair treatment. Using the reasoning that he posts his Big Mac meals on Instagram makes it fair to jeer him makes about as much sense as saying a person who posts kissing a same sex person makes them fair game to be called faggot.

While the kind of acceptance and encouragement of fat hatred seen here really does make me mad, I say these things because I know most people here are good, decent people who really don't want to hurt people's feelings or make ignorant judgments about them. All I'm asking is to take a look at what you're doing, and decide if that's really the way you want to snark on fundies. If you were to be given the opportunity to go on, say, Anderson Cooper to discuss the harm of the Duggars and Gothardism, do you think it would leave a good impression if you spent that time discussing Josh's weight? Do you think that would win people over to cause of exposing fundamentalism and freeing the women and children it enslaves?

edited for riffles

Has anyone ever seen the picture of Mike Huckabee and his family when he was governor or Arkansas?

By themselves, you wouldn't give anyone of them a second glance - together, you can't help but notice that the mother and daughter are in a normal weight range while Mike and his two grown sons are obese. Looking at the photo, I don't see an opportunity to body snark, however much I dislike the man or his policies, rather a visual representation of a patriarchal culture. It's very clear that the (allegedly bold, biblical, visionary) penis- owners are not required or expected to exercise moderation, temperance or constraint. The power imbalance is on display for the world to witness.

That's how I feel most at FJ are approaching Josh's weight. If a reasonable number of his female relatives looked similar, they would not comment. They are snarking on a physical manifestation of patriarchy, not on the attribute itself.

Seriously? Why would someone beg to be humiliated? I think you're projecting your own issues onto this.

Seriously? You're trying to equate eating fried foods to the point of almost having a stroke with cancer? You know that almost all cancers are not preventable right? Typing on this computer will not give me leukemia or ovarian cancer, however if I sit here and eat 6 boxes of fried Krispie Kreme doughnuts every day it will certainly contribute to high cholesterol which is a major factor for heart disease. Were you around when Josh was on the "Santourin' Express and eating every piece of fried food he could get his hands on and taking pictures of it?

ETA: http://www.hulu.com/watch/60128 American Dad, Live and Let Fry

I missed this one the first time I read through. You still haven't adequately answered why the hell it is any of your business that anyone, anywhere decides to overeat. And don't tell me that you're concerned for their children. Plenty, plenty of overweight people live long lives.

deeleam: Smuggar is an attention whore. He knows he gets attention by posting pictures of his meals and images of "hot button" issues. He clearly loves to sit back and watch the fur fly. I'm not "projecting" anything, merely observing what HE does on a daily basis to keep himself relevant.

ITA with all of this. You've expressed exactly what I was trying to say in a much more eloquent way. :)

It was my tweet to Smugs that alerted him to the activist roots of the song and Woody Guthrie. The next day, I noticed that he added "activist" to his string of hilarious descriptors. I doubt he ever googled Woody or bothered to learn about the song.

I missed this one the first time I read through. You still haven't adequately answered why the hell it is any of your business that anyone, anywhere decides to overeat. And don't tell me that you're concerned for their children. Plenty, plenty of overweight people live long lives.

Honestly I don't know that anything on any of these topics is in any way any of our business. That's kinda the point right?

Archived