IGNORED

The Bates(es?) have a big announcement...

singsingsing

Progesterone is given to pregnant women if their levels are too low, I had to take it both times I was pregant (15 and 19 years ago), the doctors take a blood test that reveals this when you first go in to see the doctor to have your pregnancy confirmed. I did have some trouble conceiving but I was never told that this was the reason. My sister also had to take progesterone in her 2 pregnanies, and our mother had several miscarriages before she gave birth to me and my 2 siblings..my doctor told me at the time that she too probably had a low progesterone level and it very likely caused her miscarriages. The way I understand it, it won't help you get pregnant, but it will help your body keep a pregnancy. I'm not sure about how it "strenthens the uterus" as I believe Kelly had stated, maybe a medical profession could explain it more clearly than I can.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the Midwest is notorious for bad grammar. And you can't blame homeschooling around here for that, because it's the public schooled kids/adults that are the absolute worst offenders, generally speaking.

Yep, my English teacher dad is constantly correcting my grammar. Which causes me to passive aggressively use words like "ain't" to irritate the fuck out of him..

And I was in public+Catholic school all of my life, i think my mother would have eaten me before homeschooling me.

Progesterone is given to pregnant women if their levels are too low, I had to take it both times I was pregant (15 and 19 years ago), the doctors take a blood test that reveals this when you first go in to see the doctor to have your pregnancy confirmed. I did have some trouble conceiving but I was never told that this was the reason. My sister also had to take progesterone in her 2 pregnanies, and our mother had several miscarriages before she gave birth to me and my 2 siblings..my doctor told me at the time that she too probably had a low progesterone level and it very likely caused her miscarriages. The way I understand it, it won't help you get pregnant, but it will help your body keep a pregnancy. I'm not sure about how it "strenthens the uterus" as I believe Kelly had stated, maybe a medical profession could explain it more clearly than I can.

Progesterone plays a big part in the development of the endomentrium, hence why the corpus luteum secretes it after ovulation. I'm not medical professional, just infertile. 8-)

I wonder what Kelly Bates will do now that progesterone shots have gone from $10 to $1500 a shot? Just add it to the tab?

For those who missed this, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41994697/

I don't know your dad is so worried about "ain't". It's a perfectly cromulent word that originated as a contraction of "am not". I think it's fine to use it, but then I have very little tolerance for language prescriptivism based only on prestige of the dialect and/or appeal to tradition.

But I also don't think funner and funnest are all that bad either, even though I wouldn't use them because it's not what I'm used to.

I wonder what Kelly Bates will do now that progesterone shots have gone from $10 to $1500 a shot? Just add it to the tab?

No problem, Lawson will just have to work overtime.

I don't know your dad is so worried about "ain't". It's a perfectly cromulent word that originated as a contraction of "am not". I think it's fine to use it, but then I have very little tolerance for language prescriptivism based only on prestige of the dialect and/or appeal to tradition.

But I also don't think funner and funnest are all that bad either, even though I wouldn't use them because it's not what I'm used to.

To quote Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, "it'll be just like senior year, but FUNNER!"

Wow, $1500 a shot for progesterone? Then again, back in 1993 and 1997, I just took pills, not shots. My sister had to use progesterone suppositories back in the last 80's. From what I remember, my prescription plan did cover it, I just had my normal co-pay. I know I kept having blood work done and the progesterone was discontinued by the time I was 28 weeks both times. Now, with Kelly, does she just continue to take progesterone shots all the time in case she does get pregnant? I thought you had to be pregnant first to determine if it was needed in the pregnancy, but I'm sure things have changed a great deal since my kids were born.

I sincerely hope that is a different form of progesterone than the one I have to take for fertility cycles. If it's the same I'm really screwed because it's all out of pocket and I would be expected to pay $1,500 a DAY for weeks. That is absurd when they didn't even do the R&D for it.

ETA I forgot that European countries have price caps on their drugs. Guess I'll just get my PIO from overseas. :)

ETA #2 Just noticed the date on the article. I'm good. Carry on!

Forgive me if it's been mentioned, but I'm just able to post about the show. I saw the last 15 minutes or so. Anyway... "funnest" and "funner" were both used within the timespan that I watched (and tortured my husband by making him watch as he was in my proximity.) Homeschooling.... you're doing it wrong.

Unfortunately (in my limited opinion), the OED claims that the comperative and superlative forms funner and funniest are used by should be restricted to very informal context. The OED also bestowed word privileges on LOL, OMG and <3, so I am not sure how my credit I give the OED anymore. Text talk drives me insane.

Okay so there was no fuckin announcement, but they strongly eluded to Princess Erin and that Hunky Paine boy courting.

I don't know--they did that with John David and Erin, too.................. But those boys, er young MEN, ARE really nice looking

I

f the college they were trying to attend was a regular college, then yes they'd probably have to have a GED if they weren't affiliated with a school district.

Nearly all colleges today accept homeschoolers. ACT or SAT Scores, a portfolio and transcript of homeschool work complete the application. Student may also submit AP or CLEP scores to validate their experience. Serious homeschoolers do not take the GED--it is the diploma of a drop-out. I know homeschoolers who have gone to schools anyone would be happy to be acccepted into. Serious Far Right Christian homeschoolers tend to migrate to Patrick Henry College which aims to breed serious political change agents. These kids ARE well educated.

Now, homeschoolers like the Duggars can always enroll at any open admission State school just like anyone else. They may need to do remedial course, but probably not. The standards are not that high. Trust me, I tutor students all day who can't write yet already have an Associates degree.

That is absolutely disgusting! I cannot imagine why the FDA would do it when the drug has been around for so long..but then again it's all because of money...

I

Nearly all colleges today accept homeschoolers. ACT or SAT Scores, a portfolio and transcript of homeschool work complete the application. Student may also submit AP or CLEP scores to validate their experience. Serious homeschoolers do not take the GED--it is the diploma of a drop-out. I know homeschoolers who have gone to schools anyone would be happy to be acccepted into. Serious Far Right Christian homeschoolers tend to migrate to Patrick Henry College which aims to breed serious political change agents. These kids ARE well educated.

Now, homeschoolers like the Duggars can always enroll at any open admission State school just like anyone else. They may need to do remedial course, but probably not. The standards are not that high. Trust me, I tutor students all day who can't write yet already have an Associates degree.

One of my cousins got a full-ride to an Ivy League without a GED. Mind you he wasn't homeschooled using the SODRT Method, but yes, he's proof it's possible to get in without one.

One of my cousins got a full-ride to an Ivy League without a GED. Mind you he wasn't homeschooled using the SODRT Method, but yes, he's proof it's possible to get in without one.

I got into university without a GED, and without ever having graduated any form of high school. What I did was I started at a distance university (fully accredited) whose only requirements were that you be over 16, and that you pay tuition. Granted, once you started your courses, you obviously had to actually be able to do the work, so if you weren't cut out for it, you'd flunk out. I took three courses through this university, then used them to apply to a 'regular' university as a transfer student. They never asked for my high school transcript, so they never had to know. ;) I live in Canada, though.

emmiedahl wrote:

My earlier comment didn't make it so I'm reposting

Probably some ATI fellow traveler will be "purposed" to pay for it so "Sweet, sweet" Kelly can "accept" another blessing............

Probably some ATI fellow traveler will be "purposed" to pay for it so "Sweet, sweet" Kelly can "accept" another blessing............

Have a Wiki link on the controversy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KV_Pharmaceutical

Long story short, independent compounders won't get sued, and Makena is down to $690/dose anyhow.

Ugh, that hadn't crossed my mind, but I bet you're right.

Also, if she is using progesterone all the time and not only when she's preg, at what age would she finally stop? It's mostly a rhetorical question, although does anyone know if it's ever taken when not pregnant? I can just see her taking still taking them when she's like 65 "...well, you know Sarai had her first when she was in her 90's so ya never can tell..."

Also, if she is using progesterone all the time and not only when she's preg, at what age would she finally stop? It's mostly a rhetorical question, although does anyone know if it's ever taken when not pregnant? I can just see her taking still taking them when she's like 65 "...well, you know Sarai had her first when she was in her 90's so ya never can tell..."

You can't take it in the first half of your cycle because it will prevent ovulation from occurring (ie hormonal birth control). And we all know Kelly is not partaking in that! I doubt she's taking it when she's not pregnant. Most women with progesterone deficiencies start supplementing as soon as they get a positive pregnancy test.

From what I've been able to gather Makena is used just for PTL and as far as I know that's not Kelly's issue. She's likely supplementing with regular 'ol PIO injections or suppositories.

I'm pretty sure Kelly would be using regular suppositories (versus injectons) for progesterone. I had a name brand (70 a month after insurance) progesterone suppository to be taken once a day until 12 weeks along.

It is possible to get generic for just a few dollars a month IIRC.

I'm almost positive the older Duggar kids (thru Jill/Jessa) have GEDs. Not sure what Jinger and Joe actually did to "graduate" and get a big party thrown for them (which some Maxwells attended!).

Speaking of Crown College, wasn't sure if anyone else has linked to this yet. It's the student handbook they still use. Some great gems include: needing parental permission for interracial dating, dating defined as a conversation with the opposite sex, and women can't ride in cars with a male.

http://thecrowncollege.com/media/colleg ... ndbook.pdf

After watching the scenes of Erin at school, I noticed they're attire seemed even more fundie than to be expected, so naturally I had to find this.

Speaking of Crown College, wasn't sure if anyone else has linked to this yet. It's the student handbook they still use. Some great gems include: needing parental permission for interracial dating, dating defined as a conversation with the opposite sex, and women can't ride in cars with a male.

http://thecrowncollege.com/media/colleg ... ndbook.pdf

After watching the scenes of Erin at school, I noticed they're attire seemed even more fundie than to be expected, so naturally I had to find this.

Holy crap.

It would have been a lot easier for them to just sum about half of that manual as "NO DATING. Plus maybe a "No talking to a person of the opposite sex if you are different colors, if you mess up and ask them how their weekend was, well then... you can never talk to them again"

But really, there is no room for dating for anyone. My favorite was "Students will not go to a movie theater."

Bananas!

Archived