IGNORED

The Bates(es?) have a big announcement...

singsingsing

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhh I don't know what thread to post about this episode. I was posting on the bates episode excitement one, but everyone is posting about it here. lol

Is the Paine family the family with the girl Zack courted? Or is it a different family?

Different. That was the Reiths.

Is the Paine family the family with the girl Zack courted? Or is it a different family?

No, that was the Reith (spelling?) family I think.

That was the Reiths, the family of actually good musicians.

Gil referred to the Paine patriarch as "Dr. Paine." Is he a SOTDRT/Clown College/College Minus! "doctor," or is he one of the rare fundies who got an actual education before converting?

Yeah, Gil, because people who are 21, 22, 27 years old don't qualify as adults :roll:

Notice he didn't try to negotiate for cheaper train tickets, though.

Holy mother of god. I was about to ask what they did with their little kids, and then Kelly answered my question. They left 10 children under age 12 with Michaela, by herself. If Erin was that terrified to go rafting, why didn't she stay behind with the kids? And what is wrong with these people that they would leave that many kids with a single adult all afternoon? :evil: That would be a completely unacceptable adult:child ration in any daycare...but daycares are evil.

I thought the only equivalency for extreme Christian homeschoolers that did not affiliate with a school district in any way WAS a GED. Correct me if I'm wrong. IIRC, the older Duggar kids got GED's. Not sure about what Jinger and Joseph got in order to "graduate," or what College Minus requires (other than cash or endorsements) to enroll to do CLEP testing.

I remember someone looking up Arkansas' homeschooling requirements and they were pretty lax. I expect TN to be even moreso.

If the college they were trying to attend was a regular college, then yes they'd probably have to have a GED if they weren't affiliated with a school district. But Crown, just like PCC and BJU, panders to fundie homeschoolers and considers a "diploma" from mom and dad to carry just as much weight as a GED or an actual accredited high school diploma. Some homeschoolers (like the Duggars) choose to get GEDs anyway, but they aren't required for homeschoolers to get into extremely fundie colleges like Crown. My family (i.e., my parents) chose not to go the GED route, so the only high school "diploma" I have is the one my parents awarded me. The only way I was able to get into the accredited secular college I'm in now is because PCC was fine accepting that and although most of my credits didn't transfer, just the fact that I was transferring in instead of applying straight from high school got me out of having get the GED before applying to the college I'm at now.

Okay, so no 'big announcement.' I am suspicious about Chad and Erin though. They left it in such a way that could imply a courtship or 'dating with a purpose' in the works. Not a bad looking guy, in any case.

ETA: I was impressed that Kelly acknowledged her adult children as adults.

So whatever this announcement was supposed to be, something obviously went wrong... again. At least this time whatever it was wasn't announced on TV. My guess is that Kelly was pregnant and she had a miscarriage again. I wonder if we'll ever find out.

Apparently the big announcement was that there's a rerun of last week's 19K&C following the Bateses...

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one who was left wondering what the announcement was supposed to be! So bizarre.

Okay so there was no fuckin announcement, but they strongly eluded to Princess Erin and that Hunky Paine boy courting.

Okay, so no 'big announcement.' I am suspicious about Chad and Erin though. They left it in such a way that could imply a courtship or 'dating with a purpose' in the works. Not a bad looking guy, in any case.

They would make a good looking couple but remember how TLC messed w/our heads by flashing pics of Erin and JD when discussing courtship?

The big announcement is that like Alyssa is like annoying and like vain as hell! :roll:

Okay so there was no fuckin announcement, but they strongly eluded to Princess Erin and that Hunky Paine boy courting.

They dont court anymore. They "date with a purpose." I dont see how thats going to be any different from courting. Same thing different name. Probably a PR move to cover up for the Zach snafu.

My guess is that the announcement was going to be an Erin and Paine boy courtship but they learned their lesson with Zach and pulled the announcement scene. Didnt they allude to on their blog about how Anna Duggar told them to keep relationships private until there is an engagement?

Did they ever talk about Zach's courtship? I know that started last fall, but it didn't end until this summer. Maybe they had filmed some scene about Zach and Sarah. Maybe the filming had something to do with her breaking it off.

Wasn't Gil gathering both families to tell them about the train trip and white water rafting the big announcement? We just expected more? After watching, I really believe that was the only announcement they intended. Lame.

I don't think that was the announcement they intended. The episode description listed all of their activities in chronological order, and the "big announcement" was supposed to be at the very end, right after the lesson on dating. Also, the "big announcement" thing was edited out of the episode description, which they wouldn't have done if it was something they left in the episode.

I'm starting to think that it was supposed to be a courtship announcement, just based on all the hinting. It seemed like they were setting up for it, but they never announced it.

My guess is that the announcement was going to be an Erin and Paine boy courtship but they learned their lesson with Zach and pulled the announcement scene. Didnt they allude to on their blog about how Anna Duggar told them to keep relationships private until there is an engagement?

Yeah, and maybe they learned even engagement's aren't necessarily 100%, ala Maxhell.

...and just me ranting - how stupid are they? "Dating with a purpose," please! Although if you're already drenched in the kool-aid enough to proclaim courtship can't lead to broken hearts, I suppose it's not too much farther to anything else. :doh:

Archived