IGNORED

Older female and male siblings can't be alone together?

Guest LilaFowler

Emmidahl,

I believe that you are confusing the European dowry with traditional Judaism and what is written in the Bible. The father was paid because if a man lied about her purity and ruined her reputation, or if he took her virginity against her will, she could not be remarried, and the father would have to support her for the rest of her life within that era, according to Moses. The "bride's price" that is in the Bible was more of a restitution and gesture to provide for the support of that woman because she could not marry. Lamb wrote in his book that the religious writings of the Jews stated that a wife or a daughter was not property and decried the concept as reprehensible. As a religious practice of Judaism itself, there is no buying or selling of a woman into/for marriage. Lamb supports this with documentation, back to before the diaspora.

Jewish culture later introduced the buying and selling of wives, but it was Jewish cultural tradition and not part of the religion according to Rabbi Lamb. From what I read in his book, the Mishnah speaks out against this. I defer to him as an expert. I also read supporting information in "Women or Chattel" which I also quote in that series on my blog.

Do you want me to post quotes from there that I took from Lamb's writings?

I think that is kinda what I meant? I'm a little foggy due to pain medication. At the time, fathers did receive a bride price and with a 'ruined' daughter they would not... so hence the payment from the rapist. Of course the family would have to support her, but Jewish women at the time (and now) tended to earn their keep and then some.

Jewish culture at the time was very different from the way I was raised and I absolutely do not mean that buying or selling women is a part of our faith.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that is kinda what I meant? I'm a little foggy due to pain medication. At the time, fathers did receive a bride price and with a 'ruined' daughter they would not... so hence the payment from the rapist. Of course the family would have to support her, but Jewish women at the time (and now) tended to earn their keep and then some.

Jewish culture at the time was very different from the way I was raised and I absolutely do not mean that buying or selling women is a part of our faith.

I'm so glad that we just weren't connecting! I'm sleep deprived from asthma plus asthmatic in between naps. And that whole idea of women as property, a la Vision Forum, makes me a wild.

Sorry if I was too wound up on my soapbox. :angry-soapbox: I'm pre-wound. arghh!

I wondered why (in the Driving Miss Duggars episode) that the girls didn't just stay in their house instead of going to Josh and Anna's. Their brothers were there and they could have just crashed there on the couch or something. For me, just the mere thought of feeling any kind of attraction to a sibling is just plain disgusting. I wouldn't think that a boy or man would be defrauded by his sister. I could be wrong. :roll:

I wondered why (in the Driving Miss Duggars episode) that the girls didn't just stay in their house instead of going to Josh and Anna's. Their brothers were there and they could have just crashed there on the couch or something. For me, just the mere thought of feeling any kind of attraction to a sibling is just plain disgusting. I wouldn't think that a boy or man would be defrauded by his sister. I could be wrong. :roll:

There is something called the Westermarck Effect. Basically it means the human instinct to avoid incest is so strong that even two unrelated children, raised together from before the age of 6, cannot be sexually attracted to each other. Of course, when you're as isolated as a lot of Quiverfools seem to be, I suppose your instinct to bang anything that sat still long enough would override your instinct not to bang your brother.

Frankly I think it's disgusting and just WRONG for parents to fear incest between their kids that much. FFS...

Archived