IGNORED

Westboro planning to picket shooting vigil/Superpicket*MERGE

Three and Done

Yeah, this was inevitable, wasn't it? :roll: I was wondering when we'd hear from them. These people, I just can't even.

My money's on them not actually showing up, though.

I keep wondering when they will finally push someone over the line - someone that will give THEM a little of their own "justice".

Too bad Holmes couldn't have directed his anger in their direction instead of a murder trial he would have likely gotten a medal and a parade. These people are the worlds biggest asshats and probably make Jesus embarrassed and slightly nauseated at the fact that they claim to be his only true followers. I'm all for free speech, but if you abuse the right the way they do it should also be legal for someone to knock your block off.

I'm just sick of hearing Westboro picketing somewhere. Makes me sick when I hear they are going to picket at vigils where innocent people were killed.

I've read rumours on Tumblr that people are going to build a human wall around the people attending the vigil so they won't have to hear the utter hatred these people spill.

Seriously, though, when will these people just stop?

That is a very combustible situation. We are talking about a lot of upset people, not merely a few dozen such as at funerals. They would just LOVE for someone to take a slug at them, instant martyr complex. I doubt they'll actually be real martyrs because the police will be obligated to protect them, and will actually make an effort to fulfill their obligations.

Remember they love the attention. I wouldn't even bother counterprotesting, and I've done a fair bit of that in my time. With Westboro, ignore them and I reckon they'd slink away.

Remember they love the attention. I wouldn't even bother counterprotesting, and I've done a fair bit of that in my time. With Westboro, ignore them and I reckon they'd slink away.

Idk, JFC. They do indeed love the attention, but after seeing their twisted behavior, I imagine it's probably better to be proactive.

I would hate for the victim's families to see and hear their vile filth. If I lived near there, I would go myself to stand in their way.

I will give someone my firstborn child if they shove a picket sign up a WBC members ass. It's truely hard to believe that people this vile exist. I just can't wrap my brain around it.

I saw a video on youtube where a group counter-protested with a dancing flash mob. Brilliant, because the counter-protest got all of the press coverage and WBC was drowned out. I hope someone tries this with a bit superhero flair.

I saw a video on youtube where a group counter-protested with a dancing flash mob. Brilliant, because the counter-protest got all of the press coverage and WBC was drowned out. I hope someone tries this with a bit superhero flair.

I LOVE your idea, emmiedahl! Perhaps some of the conventioners will do something like that. Actually, even if they just came in their costumes, that would grab the press attention.

I have a lot of friends who went to be part of the wall... but WBC never showed. Apparently they're photoshopping pictures to make it look like they protested, though? :?

I have a lot of friends who went to be part of the wall... but WBC never showed. Apparently they're photoshopping pictures to make it look like they protested, though? :?

That wouldn't surprise me at all. They were caught doing just that with doctored photos of Whitney Houston's funeral.

I'm VERY happy to hear they didn't show.

Yes, they are. I saw a photoshopped picture on Margie Phelps' Twitter feed. https://twitter.com/MargieJPhelps/status/227184401312788480/photo/1

I wasn't able to go, but my friends who were there posted photos. There were a couple thousand people who showed up.

WBC is more about threatening to picket these days than actually picketing.

Yes, they are. I saw a photoshopped picture on Margie Phelps' Twitter feed. https://twitter.com/MargieJPhelps/status/227184401312788480/photo/1

I wasn't able to go, but my friends who were there posted photos. There were a couple thousand people who showed up.

WBC is more about threatening to picket these days than actually picketing.

That isn't even a good photoshop job. For real.

I wonder if maybe even they are getting tired of their own shtick...

That isn't even a good photoshop job. For real.

I wonder if maybe even they are getting tired of their own shtick...

They might be, but they won't end it until Patriarch Fred is dead. The entire 'church' is mostly his family, and people who've married into the family (with a few random whackaloons who've joined up), and Fred the Fuhrer still holds iron-fisted control. The way the members talk in the interviews I've seen seems to fit with some of the information on Stockholm Syndrome.

The entire "church" will end once Fred's gone, but until then, they're all still drinking the kool-aid.

They might be, but they won't end it until Patriarch Fred is dead. The entire 'church' is mostly his family, and people who've married into the family (with a few random whackaloons who've joined up), and Fred the Fuhrer still holds iron-fisted control. The way the members talk in the interviews I've seen seems to fit with some of the information on Stockholm Syndrome.

The entire "church" will end once Fred's gone, but until then, they're all still drinking the kool-aid.

I've always thought that it would fall apart once Fred finally kicked it for good, but they seem to be losing steam even now. I wonder if Fred's advanced age (he's in his 80's now) is allowing them to be a little more lax. A few of them, like Shirley, might be willing to keep up the nonsense, but I would bet that the vast majority won't have as much interest in pouring all their energy into being "the hate group that everyone wishes would fall off of a cliff" once they're no longer being lorded over by the Head Asshole in Charge.

I've always thought that it would fall apart once Fred finally kicked it for good, but they seem to be losing steam even now. I wonder if Fred's advanced age (he's in his 80's now) is allowing them to be a little more lax. A few of them, like Shirley, might be willing to keep up the nonsense, but I would bet that the vast majority won't have as much interest in pouring all their energy into being "the hate group that everyone wishes would fall off of a cliff" once they're no longer being lorded over by the Head Asshole in Charge.

I think they're picketing less, but not necessarily losing steam. They do still manage to make it to some funerals and other events. I think they're moving more into making sure their name is always invoked when a disaster or tragedy strikes, which takes less effort and money than picketing.

I'd be willing to bet good money that the church won't exist five years after Fred's death.

Requisite re-linking:

[link=http://blank.org/addict/]'Addicted to Hate' exposé[/link]

[link=http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/v99eg/iaman_exmember_of_the_westboro_baptist_church/]Nate Phelps AMA[/link]

[link=http://www.topiama.com/r/4/iaman-exmember-of-the-westboro-baptist-church]AMA in different format (possibly easier to read)[/link]

[link=http://www.topiama.com/r/4/iaman-exmember-of-the-westboro-baptist-church#r17]Q: do they know that everyone hates them and the god hates fags demonstrations just make them look worse?

A: Sure they do. We were taught that enmity with the world was the goal. They would be profoundly disturbed if the world embraced their message.[/link]

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church appear to be on their way to protest a prayer vigil for victims of the Aurora massacre, according to tweets from members posted by Examiner.com.

Using the hashtag #ThankGodForTheShooter, Examiner.com reports members tweeted out their plans to "super picket" the candle lit prayer service, saying "God is at work in Colorado."

Hi ho Hi ho, to Colorado we go!#godsenttheshooter!#americaisdoomed!#godisyourenemy! #godkillingyoursoldiers!t.co/4CpYyKJT

— Fred Phelps Jr (@WBCFredJr) July 22, 2012

Almost immediately, members of the community launched a campaign on Reddit and Facebook to form a "wall of love" around the memorial service to block the group from getting close. Church member Fred Phelps Jr. said these efforts would be in vain:

@WBCFredJr WBC in Colorado to conquer yet another "wall", just like yesterday in Columbia. #andthewallcametumblingdown! http://t.co/NeTmqnfg

Earlier this morning, the Denver Comic Con released a statement on their Facebook page urging patrons of the convention to assist in forming a human barrier in front of the service.

“If you volunteered for Denver Comic Con 2012, or any other Con, and are planning to attend tonight's vigil, please consider wearing your volunteer t-shirt. I'm asking my DCC volunteers to be prepared to help form the barrier, should Westsboro show up."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... ostpopular

My cousin who lives in Denver went to Aurora for the memorial to be apart of the wall. She posted a couple of pics on FB and said that people were very happy that the WBC didn't show up.

Requisite re-linking:

[link=http://blank.org/addict/]'Addicted to Hate' exposé[/link]

[link=http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/v99eg/iaman_exmember_of_the_westboro_baptist_church/]Nate Phelps AMA[/link]

[link=http://www.topiama.com/r/4/iaman-exmember-of-the-westboro-baptist-church]AMA in different format (possibly easier to read)[/link]

Thanks for reposting these. I've read the Addicted to Hate site a bunch of times. I am hopeful that Nate can eventually get the needed funding for his stalled documentary.

I just don't get what makes people like the WBC hate so much? I feel bad for them living every day controlled by their hate for someone else. It must be sad to be them.

Archived