IGNORED

2016 Keeps On Going

mango_fandango

I hope Billie Lourd is surrounded by love right now. Losing your mom and your grandma in a two day span must be so hard, wish her nothing but love. :my_heart:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we wrap Sir Ian in bubble wrap too? I love him, and i love his bromance with Sir Patrick even more.

13 minutes ago, pamplemousse said:

Or Donald Trump? (Although a Pence presidency would scare the crap out of me.) Or the Kardashians and their ilk? Or...?

This. So much this. Are Cubs fans the only ones sorry to see 2016 go?

As a diehard, I'm still not sorry to see this year go. Because no matter the calendar year, we're still champs!

@nausicaa, Olivia turned 100 this July.  Christopher Plummer is just 87.  Oddly, his first wife was actress Tammy Grimes, who died on October 30. She originated the role of Molly Brown  in The Unsinkable Molly Brown on Broadway.  One of Debbie Reynolds' finest film roles was Molly Brown.  R.I.P. Tammy and Debbie.

Lets keep all these folks safe and add Tom Hanks. I believe in his everlasting movie star presence, and right now that worries me.

Kirk Douglas celebrated his 100th birthday in December.  May he and all our living legends live to ring in 2018!

I'm now afraid for three of my favorite elderly ladies- Beverly Cleary, who turned 100 this year and delighted more than one generation with her stories of Ramona, Beezus, Henry Huggins, Ribsy, and Runaway Ralph; Betty White, who is 94, and Queen Elizabeth, who has also had some health problems. I saw an article about a Go Fund Me page to help someone keep Betty White safe. 

As far as I'm concerned, 2016 started off on the wrong foot last December 31, when we lost Natalie Cole. It sure hasn't been kind. 

Sometimes I think Betty White will outlive us all. With or without Go Fund Me.

(Of course now that I've said that ... [emoji52] )

2 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Is 2016 done yet?!?

This befouled fucking year is scheduled for its demise in just over 3 days.  Good riddance.

Somebody please wrap up my favorite Scot and the best James Bond ever! Hide him! Not naming him as not to bring him to Fate's attention....

5 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Somebody please wrap up my favorite Scot and the best James Bond ever! Hide him! Not naming him as not to bring him to Fate's attention....

And Britain's favourite nature documentary narrator. Same age as the Queen, brother of famous actor who died two years ago.

One thing in Her Majesty's favor is that the Queen Mother lived to be 102.  

I was watching the TCM Remembers tribute to Debbie Reynolds earlier this evening.  I was reminded of her performance in A Catered Affair where she plays a young working class woman who wants to get married.  She and her fiancé just want a quiet, simple wedding, but her mom, played by Bette Davis, wants to give her a big wedding.  Debbie won the National Board of Review's award for Best Supporting Actress of 1956 for her exquisite, sensitive performance.   I hope TCM shows the film during their tribute to Debbie.

And now Father Mulcahy from MASH is gone...  Only a few hours left.... fingers crossed we are finished with deaths for this year.

Man, I'm feeling so depressed. Let's just get on with it. 

I feel like it's probably going to continue.  Between the spike in population during the baby boom, and also what seems like a spike in the sheer numbers of widely-known people (ie celebrities) ever since, say, the late '40s, due to the explosion of media -- movies, tv shows, popular musicians, etc --  it seems to me that we are just entering a time where there are going to be a lot of deaths of well-known people for the next decade or maybe several decades.  I mean, of course, some individual people die young/tragically, and some live to a ripe old age, but cumulatively it feels to me like that is what we are seeing in terms of it feeling like we are losing a lot of beloved public characters.  I hope these ideas don't make anyone feel worse -- sorry if it does -- to me it actually feels a bit better because it makes the losses seem natural and expected rather than surprising or spooky.

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

And now Father Mulcahy from MASH is gone...  Only a few hours left.... fingers crossed we are finished with deaths for this year.

FUCK.

Fr. Mulcahey was one of my favorite characters.  I know he was just a piece of fiction, but if all priests were like him we'd be in a much better place today.

RIP William Christopher.

9 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I feel like it's probably going to continue.  Between the spike in population during the baby boom, and also what seems like a spike in the sheer numbers of widely-known people (ie celebrities) ever since, say, the late '40s, due to the explosion of media -- movies, tv shows, popular musicians, etc --  it seems to me that we are just entering a time where there are going to be a lot of deaths of well-known people for the next decade or maybe several decades.  I mean, of course, some individual people die young/tragically, and some live to a ripe old age, but cumulatively it feels to me like that is what we are seeing in terms of it feeling like we are losing a lot of beloved public characters.  I hope these ideas don't make anyone feel worse -- sorry if it does -- to me it actually feels a bit better because it makes the losses seem natural and expected rather than surprising or spooky.

We've had a family member go every year from 2013 up to this year.   And I'm hoping that after my aunt's passing last October that's going to be it now for people in my family going for a few years.  Of course one never knows.

Carrie Fisher's choice of urn was a large prozac pill...

hollywoodreporter.com/news/carrie-fishers-urn-is-a-huge-prozac-pill-961625

The family will plan a public memorial for Fisher and mother Debbie Reynolds in the future.

Carrie Fisher was always making people crack a smile in life, and she made sure she got just one more out of them in death.

It was revealed on Friday that Fisher's ashes were placed in a gigantic Prozac-pill urn.

"It was a porcelain antique Prozac pill from the '50s that was one of Carries prized possessions," Todd, Fisher's brother, told The Hollywood Reporter. 

Thanks Carrie for all the work you did and this one last laugh...

• 2 weeks later...

2016 took Guy Clark.  I fear 2017 will take many more of my favorite musicians. All getting to the age.  

• 2 weeks later...
On December 28, 2016 at 6:41 PM, HeadshipRegent said:

Bubble wrap Mary Tyler Moore too, just to be safe.

Sorry to say, it didn't work.  CNN is reporting her death today.  :pb_cry:

Archived