IGNORED

Spirit Weavers Gathering

Cleopatra7

These are people rich enough to sit around coming up with new ways to spend their money. That pretty much says it all.

I know the idea of a red tent (as portrayed in the novel) is appealing to a lot of women, especially those who are stressed out by work and family. But, spending a week in close, unventilated, un-airconditioned quarters with a bunch of other menstruating women is not my idea of a break from it all.

Wooooow that stuff is through the roof. I gotta admit, I have been in and out of the new-aginess and I still like many aspects of this... fertility awareness birth control works great for me, I try not to use disposable menstrual products, love yoga, do think period-shaming is real and no one needs it, all that jazz (I really don't want to start any arguments on these- it's just truly hard to find others who aren't on one pole or the other with crunchy stuff, so I've accidentally found myself among communities like this in the past).

But I'll echo everyone here: too wealthy and cis-centric, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's all pretty, thin, white, cultural Christians either. That's what eventually scared me away from this type of shit. I normally like to think that people can care about multiple issues at once, some frivolous and some serious, but I somehow doubt these women are putting this type of effort into pro-choice legislation, LGBT+ rights, black lives matter, or really anything else that's politically serious or important.

It's just beyond me how women like this can have an earnest conversation on "yonis" without aaaaaany Indian context. They probably think it's like "yolo."

To be honest, this is more on par with "desperate housewives" than fundamentalism to me. A bunch of dumb rich women coming up with hilarious terms just doesn't bother me as much as men suppressing their wives, daughters, communities, and nations because they think that's what an imaginary friend wants them to do. In fact, as long as that's happening, I sympathize a little bit for women who think THIS is how feminism is done. It's like, I don't want them to STOP fighting for some of these ideals, just... try different routes, ahaha. Like, very different.

3 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I'm friends with some women who are into metal music and knitting and yoga. A few times a year they have a retreat in the mountains. They have workshops in knitting and yoga in the daytime and at night they listen to metal and knit and have whiskey tasting parties. :) They have plenty of fun and have no need for yoni worship at all. :D

If I was into knitting and metal, I'd totally go. 

Man pons-ha! OB tampons were invented by a female gynecologist.  Just sayin' ;) 

These women sound fun! I like metal and whiskey. I'm a clutz so yoga ain't pretty for me but I'm game. As a lefty, no one I know could teach me to knit.

6 hours ago, Wenny said:

For some Wiccan it is "We are the daughters of the witches you couldn't burn." 

5 hours ago, Wenny said:

The Pagan and Wiccan Community is pretty diverse so the gluten free home birth baby may be up to date. However a lot of see these extreme as the norms or people like this.... https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1473653/off-grid-parents-this-morning-breastfeed-5-year-old-feral-kids/

Did you find something in that article that mentioned the Spirit Gatherers being a Wiccan/Pagan group?  I didn't, at all, so I'm wondering why you are citing them in your discussion about this group?

40 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

Gossamer, I've always admired you for knowing the name of that cartoon character. :)

Triple bonus points if you know his original name!

1 hour ago, Gossamer1 said:

Triple bonus points if you know his original name!

Agh, I've googled it and I've come up with nothing. 

You win the internet today! :D

1 hour ago, Jucifer said:

Agh, I've googled it and I've come up with nothing. 

You win the internet today! :D

His other name was Rudolph! The mad scientist calls him that in Water, Water Every Hare. The cartoon used to be on YouTube but it's been taken down. 

19 minutes ago, Gossamer1 said:

His other name was Rudolph! The mad scientist calls him that in Water, Water Every Hare. The cartoon used to be on YouTube but it's been taken down. 

Oh gee, I love that cartoon!  

My husband is in the cartoon business. I asked him that question and even he didn't know the answer.

Kudos to Gossamer! :D

3 hours ago, violynn said:

Did you find something in that article that mentioned the Spirit Gatherers being a Wiccan/Pagan group?  I didn't, at all, so I'm wondering why you are citing them in your discussion about this group?

When I posted I was just assuming because of the vague language of their website, it looked like some of gathering promos I've been too. In Pagan culture you either have blatant  language (events like Pride Spirit Gathering,  Pagan Pride Days, Pagan night out) and vague language  (Rainbow gathering, Burning man and Ren Faires). You know that places that advertise with blatant language that you can wear your religious artifacts with out any questions and be free to state your beliefs. (i.e a LaVeyan  Satanist can openly practice  and no one bats a eye). These events may bhave rules about people having thier picutre taken because not everyone is out as a as a Pagan  and no drugs policy.  Place that advertise with vague language it is generally acceptably  to wear your religious artifacts  with the scope of new age norm but still be aware that people may not be open if your Path isn't the new age norm (i.eMycase a  ChristoPagan being told to pick a side). These places don't normally have rules about rules about pictures and these places van be lax on drug policy (Open to weed, acid but but not hard drugs) 

That being said I looked up Spirit Weavers and they were on witchvox and Moon Maidens go to Spiral scouts so that concets them . 

I live near enough 80 that the mention of Burning Man causes an automatic eye-roll. I know some decent people who used to go but they've been priced out by the tech money crowd.

Spoiler

The low income ticket initiative is a joke and anyone with any sense knows it- the ticket is a small part of the cost.

This shit is ALL ABOUT excluding people (like your favorite high school clique) while co-opting the facade of inclusiveness. It leaves a bad taste on so many levels.

On July 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Gossamer1 said:

These women sound fun! I like metal and whiskey. I'm a clutz so yoga ain't pretty for me but I'm game. As a lefty, no one I know could teach me to knit.

I can teach you!  I'm a righty, but actually knit left-handed (it's weird - I have no idea what happened)  I've taught several lefties to knit.  C'mob over.  I'll even teach you to spin while we're at it.  :pb_biggrin:

I'm so jealous of people who can knit! I can't crochet worth spit either, I can only do rag rugs.

I drink my fair share of whisky, I'm partial to a nice fiery peat bog myself (Laphroaig). Socially I drink Glenfiddich. The peat bog isn't for everyone.

Don't knit, can't crochet, can tat a little, can do counted cross stitch now that the cataracts are fixed.. not a whiskey fan but I'll drink a nice white zin and it'll have the same effect in very short order.. (I'm a real lightweight with alcohol) love campfires and can even erect my own tent.

On 7/24/2016 at 10:35 PM, PennySycamore said:

I never used a Diva Cup and I think they're fine, but I personally think that modern disposable protection were some of the best inventions of the 20th century.

I'm also not a crone.  I may be 61, but I'm not a crone, dammit!

[my bold above]

Thanks to FJ & Google, I now know what a Diva Cup is, the definition of a crone, and a man-pon (referenced earlier).

And dammit, I'm not a crone either!  So take that Spirit Weavers!

ETA...

Quote from thread article: In 2011, a photo of her doing a naked headstand while simultaneously breastfeeding her daughter Naia went viral.

FTR; I may have attempted a naked headstand in college, just saying...

There's something about that whole thing that seems like a cross between an Onion spoof and the Feminist Book Store Vagina Pillow skit from Portlandia.  

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:11 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

Here at Spirit Weavers, the vagina is revered. There are workshops on yoni herbal care, yoni hydrotherapy, and yoni eggs, which are used to strengthen pelvic muscles. I pick up a flyer about IUDs that asks "Are they really safe?" and offers early warning signs that they aren't, including "life feeling hard" and "serendipity not visiting anymore." By this afternoon, I overhear that 15 women have removed their IUDs together in a yurt.

Yoni eggs sound like pessaries, actual legitimate medical devices (warning: discussion of lady bits http://www.voicesforpfd.org/p/cm/ld/fid=15 ). 

But then I made the mistake of Googling yoni eggs.  Enter at your own discretion https://www.yonieggs.com/faqs/what-is-a-yoni-and-a-yoni-egg/ .  But hey, at least I now know where to get herbs so I can steam my lady bits a la Gwyneth.

6 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Yoni eggs sound like pessaries, actual legitimate medical devices (warning: discussion of lady bits http://www.voicesforpfd.org/p/cm/ld/fid=15 ). 

But then I made the mistake of Googling yoni eggs.  Enter at your own discretion https://www.yonieggs.com/faqs/what-is-a-yoni-and-a-yoni-egg/ .  But hey, at least I now know where to get herbs so I can steam my lady bits a la Gwyneth.

That yoni egg site is...interesting. It defines the product in question as, "...used for many decades by the most in-tuned women who know that keeping good vaginal wellness is keeping universal wellness. The more in-tuned a woman is in her femininity the better all her relations will be." I have no idea what it means to be "in-tuned" or what being "in tuned" to one's femininity, but I have a feeling that I'm probably not, and I don't care. I can't make heads or tales about what it means to "shop by chakra." I do know that there's way too much emphasis on the womb and not enough emphasis on other parts or aspects of the female body/experience. It seems like the proprietor of the site is black, so I guess this means that woo attraction doesn't respect ethnic barriers.

On 7/25/2016 at 4:00 PM, Black Aliss said:

I know the idea of a red tent (as portrayed in the novel) is appealing to a lot of women, especially those who are stressed out by work and family. But, spending a week in close, unventilated, un-airconditioned quarters with a bunch of other menstruating women is not my idea of a break from it all.

I lived this for 3 years. I attended an all women's college. 

Dorm living. Synchronized periods. Yea!

Archived