IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 17

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, Bushes of Love said:

Putting the snark aside for one second...the video on the Duggar's FB page from the Dullards made me nearly die of the cute. Izzy saying hola is just adorable.

Agree - it seemed like Jill first asked him to say hello and he just looked at the camera, but when she prompted him with "hola," he said it.  So I'm thinking little Izzy is more familiar with some Spanish words than English words.  (Or I'm presuming too much from one little clip, which is probably just as likely! LOL)

And I am not trying to re-start a discussion on Derrick's health.  I just want to say that he looked fine in that video.  I know some people aren't fans of the manbun, but I'm a huge fan of the SF Giants and once I saw Brandon Crawford rock the manbun, I kind of find it sexy.  Anyway, Derrick looked find to me, glad to see him sticking with the longer hair and hope he keeps it long on their return to the States. 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/18/2016 at 11:51 AM, SilverBeach said:

An infant/young toddler does not have the capacity to think critically. Perhaps some pavlovian type behavior can be coerced, but it would not be the result of higher order risk assessment.

Protect your little ones, in time they will develop common sense. Besides, even with your protection they will hurt themselves sometimes. So don't add to the situation by lax supervision.

When my son has his check ups at the doctor, we are always given a little handout with info about his age and things we should be doing for him. There's always a section on supervision and keeping dangers away and whatnot. I read it thinking, "shouldn't this be common knowledge?" But I guess sometimes it isn't. And we all have different ideas of what is okay and what isn't. For me, I'm fine with bumps, bruises, skinned knees, etc. I don't run over every time he falls or whatever. But I've always tried to avoid things like a split open head wound from messing around and then getting hurt on the edge of a counter. Others may consider this injury to be a perfectly acceptable way to learn and that's their choice. But it's my choice so do everything in my power to avoid it (and hope for the best because you never know what can happen.) It's funny because it seems like parenting criticism goes in waves. My parents generation was criticized for being too lax. The "helicopter" parents were the ones who were praised. But now my generation is looked down upon for being cautious (as evident by the term 'helicopter' parent.) I'm sure it will all swing again soon.

19 hours ago, socalrules said:

I think the flowers are fine. As long as she likes them that's all that matters. The man she loves sent her flowers. I am sure it made her day. I hope they have the wedding they want, not Dillard wedding 2.0 because they might get some airtime. 

I agree, if she likes them then it doesn't matter if it's a bundle of dandelions. 

2 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Gee, you think God would be right on top of that. Can't He do anything? They make Him sound like a yenta!

Gods, and Steves, do not like to be reminded when they have neglected do to/pick up something. Stands to reason. 

I'm thrilled for everyone who got married/engaged in short order and had it work out. (No, seriously, I am.) I experienced the flip side of the coin, though.

My parents met, got engaged, and married in four months. Although the relationship lasted twenty years, they probably should have called it quits after five. 

I got engaged to the former Mr Muffin four months after our first date, although I knew him casually many years before that. We were actually almost engaged longer than we were married (17 month engagement, 22 month marriage). 

We didn't sleep together before marriage because he was a virgin. We didn't sleep together after marriage because he was an abusive asshole. I left him when he started buying women's clothing. He's still an asshole, but now s/he goes by Leslie*.

(ok, not Leslie  I hate him, but not enough to name names.) 

1 hour ago, Lillymuffin said:

I'm thrilled for everyone who got married/engaged in short order and had it work out. (No, seriously, I am.) I experienced the flip side of the coin, though.

My parents met, got engaged, and married in four months. Although the relationship lasted twenty years, they probably should have called it quits after five. 

I got engaged to the former Mr Muffin four months after our first date, although I knew him casually many years before that. We were actually almost engaged longer than we were married (17 month engagement, 22 month marriage). 

We didn't sleep together before marriage because he was a virgin. We didn't sleep together after marriage because he was an abusive asshole. I left him when he started buying women's clothing. He's still an asshole, but now s/he goes by Leslie*.

(ok, not Leslie  I hate him, but not enough to name names.) 

Your story has reminded me of a line of the movie All about my mother "How could he still be so sexist with that pair of boobs?" (Or something like that, no idea of how they translated it)

15 hours ago, Bushes of Love said:

To me it's tampons. If a guy can go get those for me without making it a huge drama then he's a keeper!

Putting the snark aside for one second...the video on the Duggar's FB page from the Dullards made me nearly die of the cute. Izzy saying hola is just adorable.

And Derrick is totally rocking a man bun!

I really, really dislike man buns but I hope Derrick keeps wearing it since it probably makes Boob furious so badly.

21 hours ago, nst said:

he is a keeper if he buys toliet paper

21 hours ago, anotherone said:

and changes the roll when empty without asking.

And not to forget another thread drift...That we put it on the right way! :my_biggrin:

21 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Me too. Married a little over a year after first date (engaged at about 8 months after first date, though we'd been talking about it for months). First baby due a little less than a year after wedding. Sometimes people just have their act together and know what they want when they want it.

It's great you feel you totally had your act together.  But if people take a long time to decide, or their marriages fail does that mean that they didn't?    One can't possibly know someone completely after a year or so.  Sometimes you don't really know them till 20 or more years.  My friend ended up with an alcoholic.  Was he an alcoholic at 19? No.  It took years to develop that tendency, so there was no way to know when they first got married.  Another friend's husband had an affair after 20 yrs.  They had a relatively short engagement because she "knew him."  How could she have known he'd end up cheating?  Another ended up with an abusive husband, after the perfect engagement and wedding. 

Maybe circumstances, pressures, etc caused them to have those behaviors.  But none could have known these things would happen when they were young and first married. All of them were very sure they had their act together, and really all sure looked like they did from my perspective as well.   People like to feel a sense of control and that if good things happen, they must have done something right.  That's much better than the feeling that all of it is random and bad things can happen to you as easily as the good things.

1 hour ago, anotherone said:

It's great you feel you totally had your act together.  But if people take a long time to decide, or their marriages fail does that mean that they didn't?    One can't possibly know someone completely after a year or so.  Sometimes you don't really know them till 20 or more years.  My friend ended up with an alcoholic.  Was he an alcoholic at 19? No.  It took years to develop that tendency, so there was no way to know when they first got married.  Another friend's husband had an affair after 20 yrs.  They had a relatively short engagement because she "knew him."  How could she have known he'd end up cheating?  Another ended up with an abusive husband, after the perfect engagement and wedding. 

Maybe circumstances, pressures, etc caused them to have those behaviors.  But none could have known these things would happen when they were young and first married. All of them were very sure they had their act together, and really all sure looked like they did from my perspective as well.   People like to feel a sense of control and that if good things happen, they must have done something right.  That's much better than the feeling that all of it is random and bad things can happen to you as easily as the good things.

I don't think it means anything (coming from my short road to the alter), but mostly I was getting at that Dan's might not be short just to get to the sex..as so many people assumed. 

Im surprised Derrick would grow his hair out long enough for a "man bun".  It's not often that you meet a right leaning, conservative, Christian man with long hair in my experience. A lot of people associate the hair style with hipster or hippie types.

11 minutes ago, Pupalup said:

Im surprised Derrick would grow his hair out long enough for a "man bun".  It's not often that you meet a right leaning, conservative, Christian man with long hair in my experience. A lot of people associate the hair style with hipster or hippie types.

Typically hippies see to be more liberal. However I've come across quite a few "hippie-ish" fundies. Hippies are often into nature and protecting the environment and we know that can work well amongst large fundie families. Living out in the country, buying used, making your own cheap cleaning products, having a garden or chickens, bucking materialism, homebirths, no tv, and of course doing things that are good for the environment that also save you money. 

Yeah the Hipster Christian has long been in the making back when I went to youth group in high school and boys were wearing v-necks lower than the girls.

It's just a way to make them seem more mainstream and a way to get them to "fit in" so they can evangelize. 

Derek can shove his evangelism up his ass. No one wants to hear from him or his reality-tv celebrity wife about religion. They got married and had a child, so what? I'm just so over these people. 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, karen77 said:

I don't think it means anything (coming from my short road to the alter), but mostly I was getting at that Dan's might not be short just to get to the sex..as so many people assumed. 

Glad your marriage is strong.  But don't be offended, the assumption is kind of based on statistics.  I thought this article about the Maldives was interesting.  It has the highest divorce rate of any country. 

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/asia/in-the-maldives-everyones-divorced/news-story/651310f7ddb9f7ae4d6d60687eb2be3b

"...In fact, the UN says the average 30-year-old Maldivian woman has been divorced — wait for it — THREE times. That’s 11 divorces per 1000 people....

The Maldives is a Muslim country and runs under Sharia’ah Law, so premarital sex is severely frowned upon. So by the time kids turn 18, they’re simply just incredibly “horny”, Anthony Marcus, chair of the anthropology department at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, told Ozy.com.

So the easy — and respectable — way to get laid is to simply just get married. According to Mr Marcus, weddings aren’t such a big deal in the Maldives. Ten bucks will get you a judge, a marriage certificate, and a license to get freaky in the sheets. Then again, the honeymoon doesn’t always last — and so the country finds itself spinning around a wheel of broken hearts — and eventually, broken marriages."

JMO if its meant to be its meant to be. I know a lady who met her husband at work, they were married three months later. That marriage is still going strong.

On 7/20/2016 at 6:40 PM, Pupalup said:

Is no one here old enough to remember the phrase "Jesus Freaks"?  : )

22 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Jesus Freaks, out in the street, handing tickets out for God..... cue Elton!

8 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Jesus Freaks, out in the street, handing tickets out for God..... cue Elton!

The good ole DC talk days. :)

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Even in my prime youth group days from 2004-2008 they were still saying Jesus Freaks but not in an endearing way, like "Don't feel bad if someone calls you a Jesus Freak" type of thing

My oldest brother was a Jesus Freak for awhile, in the early 70s. Mom was glad at first because he was running with a semi-bad crowd. But the lady who got em all saved was a bit controlling, apparently, and it all went a bit sour. Anyway, then he became a vegetarian and then he moved to Canada. But he never had hair long enough for a bun.

Derrick's just keeping it real for JC, I guess.

hipsterjc.png

The man bun is a way for them to show the world that even fundies can be hip and with it, and just another way to tap into a new market to minister to. 

Jesus Freaks must have a different meaning, when I was in high school (mid 2000's) we always called the people standing outside of our school handing us mini bibles "Jesus Freaks"

On 7/17/2016 at 11:55 AM, SnazzyNazzy said:

What's that green, pom-pom, looking thing? 

I think that is referred to as an "ass tickler".

On 7/17/2016 at 0:55 PM, SnazzyNazzy said:

What's that green, pom-pom, looking thing? 

At first glance  I thought it was one of those algae balls you put in aquariums.

I don't mind a colorful looking bouquet. And maybe that's what she really likes.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived