IGNORED

A Maxwell in pants??

Brittany15

In the chicken post it looks like younger girl is wearing pants. She has a dress-ish thing on too- but that hardly even hits her knees. Very interesting.

Bethany could have jeans rolled up under the dress. I wonder if the rule is if you were a dress and can't see the top of the jeans or pants it doesn't matter?

The outfits are older, do they shop at thrift stores/yard sales? Abby's outfit is 10 year old, it is Gymboree Savannah Sunset (my daughter had the top and skirt) and the rainboots are Gymboree as will, either 13 years old or about 7 years old, there were 2 lines with very similar patterns.

As long as the waist, hips, and butt is covered by a dress it's ok. You wouldn't want to accentuate a little girl's figure @@

I think pants are okay if worn with a skirt or dress over them. What do the Maxwells do during the winter? Are the little girls allowed to wear snowsuits to play in the snow? I can't imagine playing outside with a dress in freezing weather. Or are they forced to wear a long skirt and tights, no matter how cold or wet?

I noticed Anna Duggar was allowed to wear pants to ski. I was shocked. Haven't they had the girls in skirts in the snow before?

I think they are capri pants. They only go to the calves, and have a slight on either side at the bottom.

The shirt dress makes them okay, I guess. Abby was wearing something similar in that family day post.

I think pants are okay if worn with a skirt or dress over them. What do the Maxwells do during the winter? Are the little girls allowed to wear snowsuits to play in the snow? I can't imagine playing outside with a dress in freezing weather. Or are they forced to wear a long skirt and tights, no matter how cold or wet?

I noticed Anna Duggar was allowed to wear pants to ski. I was shocked. Haven't they had the girls in skirts in the snow before?

It is possible, though torturous. When we were little, my sibs and I used to work the dairy wearing dresses in winter. Our skirts would freeze into a stiff panel of fabric. :lol: We always wore layers underneath. Ice skating in a dress is fun too. :roll:

Oh, faithless heathen, haven't you read it yet? If not on Titus2, then in any given skirts-only blog: skirts-wearing women are highly to be envied for the prudent warmth their skirts afford them in wintertime! Why, with cotton and knit slips and wool-blend tights or leggings, they're just SO much more toasty-warm than they used to was in them there horrible pants things.

My. Donkey. I so well remember being allowed to wear long pants to grade school when it was bitterly cold or snowy (we didn't have snow days in a small town for a parochial school attended mostly by town-dwelling kids) and having to keep my skirt on throughout the day, as well.

I don't think it had anything to do with modesty, back in the late 1950s. Girls simply wore skirted clothes to school, boys wore long pants.

This topic brought back the memories clearly - trying to get comfy at a one-piece desk with four waistbands (underpants, long pants [usually corduroy], cotton slip, skirt/dress waistband; and then wrangling all that fabric when moving about the room/school/play yard.

Some things aren't better, these days, but females wearing pants as a matter of course is so, so much better!!! :wink-penguin:

This topic brought back the memories clearly - trying to get comfy at a one-piece desk with four waistbands (underpants, long pants [usually corduroy], cotton slip, skirt/dress waistband; and then wrangling all that fabric when moving about the room/school/play yard.

Exactly! :doh:

They look like leggings. I've seen Mack Duggar wear them on 19KAC.

I saw that also. & I agree I think they r leggings.

They look like leggings. I've seen Mack Duggar wear them on 19KAC.

Yeah, but these are the Maxwells. What's OK for other fundie kids is not OK for them. Sarah, Anna, and Mary Maxwell always wear ankle-length skirts (although I have seen a long-ago, pre-crazy photo of little Sarah in pants). It's quite a radical departure for Nathan and Melanie to dress their girls in the kinds of outfits Mackynzie Duggar regularly wears. However, I expect Christopher's little Ruthanne will be dressed much more conservatively.

I don't understand how they justify wearing pants. So, if you were them under a dress, it's OK. It's still a girl wearing pants, which is a no-no since they are male attire, in their world.

It's either right or wrong in legalism.

It is possible, though torturous. When we were little, my sibs and I used to work the dairy wearing dresses in winter. Our skirts would freeze into a stiff panel of fabric. :lol: We always wore layers underneath. Ice skating in a dress is fun too. :roll:

We were allowed to wear culottes (groan) to play in the snow. We'd wear leg-warmers (the 80s) and tights under the culottes, but even so, our legs would get so cold because the layers would just get stiff and soggy with snow.

I don't understand how they justify wearing pants. So, if you were them under a dress, it's OK. It's still a girl wearing pants, which is a no-no since they are male attire, in their world.

It's either right or wrong in legalism.

You're absolutely right.

Here are Sarah Maxwell's own words on the subject;

"I can do virtually anything in a jumper that one can do in pants or shorts - including exercising! In fact, I walk three miles per day with at least one of my brothers or sister, and part of that is on a semi-busy road. One morning, I decided to count how many cars we saw on that 30 minute section, and can you believe it was around 250 cars?!! That would mean around 500 people see us every morning, modestly dressed while exercising. That in itself is a testimony! I know from comments we’ve heard that people definitely notice us. One time, my younger brothers and sisters and I walked to a gas station to get a treat. Someone held the door open for us and said something like, “Oh, so you’re the walkers we see every morning!†They felt like they knew us just because they saw us. We have also had people comment on how happy we look. May Jesus Christ be praised!

If you feel you can’t do something in a dress, I would encourage you to question whether it is an activity that you can do and be feminine. "

Poor little Bethany, obviously doing something so unfeminine as raising chickens. Why are her parents allowing this? I'm appalled!

The quote, by the way is from Sarah's old Preparing Daughters site.

preparingdaughters.com/modest-articles-and-testimonies.php

You're absolutely right.

Here are Sarah Maxwell's own words on the subject;

"I can do virtually anything in a jumper that one can do in pants or shorts - including exercising! In fact, I walk three miles per day with at least one of my brothers or sister, and part of that is on a semi-busy road. One morning, I decided to count how many cars we saw on that 30 minute section, and can you believe it was around 250 cars?!! That would mean around 500 people see us every morning, modestly dressed while exercising. That in itself is a testimony! I know from comments we’ve heard that people definitely notice us. One time, my younger brothers and sisters and I walked to a gas station to get a treat. Someone held the door open for us and said something like, “Oh, so you’re the walkers we see every morning!†They felt like they knew us just because they saw us. We have also had people comment on how happy we look. May Jesus Christ be praised!

If you feel you can’t do something in a dress, I would encourage you to question whether it is an activity that you can do and be feminine. "

Poor little Bethany, obviously doing something so unfeminine as raising chickens. Why are her parents allowing this? I'm appalled!

The quote, by the way is from Sarah's old Preparing Daughters site.

preparingdaughters.com/modest-articles-and-testimonies.php

Oh the memories! :lol: I cringe thinking about the ways my sisters and I would appear in public. Wearing homemade jumpers or baggy 'modest' clothes in public doesn't say 'godly' to spectators, it says 'weird'. People thought we were polygamists when we went anywhere as a family after most of us got to be in our teens. We weren't making people think of Jesus, we were making them think of us.

P.S. Riding a bike in a long dress is hell on wheels :D I can't count the times my sisters and I would screech to a halt because our frumpers got wadded into the brake pads. So unsafe! BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE RIDING BIKES UNLADYLIKE. Rock climbing, using a lawn mower, operating machinery on the farm: these are all things that are unsafe with a lot of fabric around your legs. If anyone wants to say females can't hike, mow, or help out with the chores and still be godly and modest, they can kiss my jeans. :nenner: (sorry for the yelling, sensitive topic lol)

I wore a dress (In summer) or skirt and blouse (in winter) to school every day between the ages of 11 and 17. I ride a bike with no issues. My skirts were below the knee but not ankle length. We were cold in winter, sure, but the boys had it worse, they wore very short shorts up until senior school (15) when they could wear long pants.

Once we hit 7th form (senior year) we wore mufti and most of us wore pants. When we had music festival or some other reason to squeeze into our old uniforms the boys went nuts. It was really funny. I wore this every day for the last four years and NOW you think it's hot?

Oh, faithless heathen, haven't you read it yet? If not on Titus2, then in any given skirts-only blog: skirts-wearing women are highly to be envied for the prudent warmth their skirts afford them in wintertime! Why, with cotton and knit slips and wool-blend tights or leggings, they're just SO much more toasty-warm than they used to was in them there horrible pants things.

My. Donkey. I so well remember being allowed to wear long pants to grade school when it was bitterly cold or snowy (we didn't have snow days in a small town for a parochial school attended mostly by town-dwelling kids) and having to keep my skirt on throughout the day, as well.

I don't think it had anything to do with modesty, back in the late 1950s. Girls simply wore skirted clothes to school, boys wore long pants.

Some things aren't better, these days, but females wearing pants as a matter of course is so, so much better!!! :wink-penguin:

I must have missed that post, MJB! I will have to go back and punish myself by rereading Titus2.

Your mention of the bitterly cold or snowy school days reminded me of my mom's stories from the 30s. She never had snow days either, but was not allowed to wear pants. Bare legs exposed to the snow and wind-but I'm sure she looked feminine so it was okay! In high school she had swimming near the end of the day and there were no hair dryers in the locker room. Her wet hair would actually freeze on the walk home from school.

I was always in trouble for unbuttoning my blouse, unsnapping the tie, rolling up the skirt, and rolling up my sleeves. The slip came off before school even started. I'd stuff it in the book bag.

Archived