IGNORED

Call the Midwife (on PBS in the US)

gardenvarietycitizen

Trixie sounds like an odd one to me, I'm pretty sure it was my "tooth fairy's" name when I was a child! Is it short for something?

Maybe Patricia?

Maybe :) I think all of the characters' names (except Jenny's) were changed when she wrote the book anyway, I'm kind of curious to know what the other nurses and nuns who she worked with thought about her book!

Did any of the folks in the UK catch tonight's episode?

I really felt for Jenny and Jimmy! Also I kinda hope Sister Bernadette ends up with the doctor ;)

Did any of the folks in the UK catch tonight's episode?

I really felt for Jenny and Jimmy! Also I kinda hope Sister Bernadette ends up with the doctor ;)

Watched it! I love it!

Basically they came as a pair and yeah they were. I'm not sure about the head coverings...might have just been due keeping warm. They didn't seem to be for religious reasons......

• 2 weeks later...
Oh my goodness, tonight's ep was very interesting. Gory and shocking. Women had it tough.

Totally! So sad.

Totally! So sad.

It was really good, so realistic! I'm glad they tackled that issue because it's a really important one, despite being a bit of a taboo subject even today. My heart was totally breaking for Sister Bernadette this week too! Also Jane is awesome! :D I've just started reading the book, have only read the introduction and first chapter so far, so I'm not sure what I make of it yet...

Oh yes sister bernadette. I'm glad to see that it's reciprocal and she's not delusional about that particular subject. I hope that ends well.

Oh yes sister bernadette. I'm glad to see that it's reciprocal and she's not delusional about that particular subject. I hope that ends well.

Me too, but then I love a happy ending. Also the actress who plays her is drop dead gorgeous and sings so beautifully!

Me too, but then I love a happy ending. Also the actress who plays her is drop dead gorgeous and sings so beautifully!

I'm also loving this storyline. I'll be so sad if it doesn't end well :cry:

The book was really good! The show doesn't do justice to the dreadful living conditions of the times. I am now of the opinion that all fundies and QF folk who idolize that time period and the times leading up to it should read the book instead of watching the show. It'll keep them away from the devil-television also so it's totally win-win! :twisted:

USAdian here. I've only seen the first season and the Christmas special episode, and have just finished the second book. I love the way the show's producers have striven for accuracy. I'm old enough to remember those fashions, and I have a keen eye for anachronisms. (My daughter calls me the "Anachronism Police" when I call movies out on historical inaccuracies in things like dress and language.) Jennifer Worth's books contain a great deal of gripping historical and sociological data, and are obviously well researched.

However...I do agree that she may have well have punched up the stories in the books (they have appeared in the series as well) to make them more "interesting." Characters like Chummy and Sister Monica Joan, as much as I love them, feel like fictitious characters to me.

Still, I am jealous of our friends across the pond for getting the new episodes and the third book faster than we can!

The book was really good! The show doesn't do justice to the dreadful living conditions of the times. I am now of the opinion that all fundies and QF folk who idolize that time period and the times leading up to it should read the book instead of watching the show. It'll keep them away from the devil-television also so it's totally win-win! :twisted:

I'm working my way through the first book now. It's really good and very graphic!! I really like how honest she is about what she was thinking about the patient/family/fellow nurse at the time! I have to say I think the show also did a brilliant job, but obviously some of the storylines were vamped up for the show. I still can't believe that people lived like that, in such poverty :(

Oh no! Sister bernadette is indeed being given a cross to bear. Does this spell the end of the romance?

I was a gibbering wreck by the end of yesterdays episode :cry:

I was a gibbering wreck by the end of yesterdays episode :cry:

I don't know, definitely a bump in the road though. Question:

Does she have TB or cancer?

And in happier news:

Chummy's back next week! :D

To answer your question. She has the first one. Only 2 more episodes left!

Ah okay, I wasn't sure. Is that it???? :( Will have to get cracking reading the rest of the books to get my fix, have just finished the first one!

What did everyone think of this week's episode? The storyline with the immigrant felt a little heavy-handed, but the characters were well-drawn enough that it managed to overcome it. And the storyline with the diabetic man and his wife was really touching. The great thing about this series is that they can bring in all these really self-contained stories without having to draw them together, just by having a "patient of the week" connected through these characters who feel like our friends.

One question: now that

Chummy's preggers, are we (or rather is Nonnatus) going to lose her to the domestic life?

What did everyone think of this week's episode? The storyline with the immigrant felt a little heavy-handed, but the characters were well-drawn enough that it managed to overcome it. And the storyline with the diabetic man and his wife was really touching. The great thing about this series is that they can bring in all these really self-contained stories without having to draw them together, just by having a "patient of the week" connected through these characters who feel like our friends.

One question: now that

Chummy's preggers, are we (or rather is Nonnatus) going to lose her to the domestic life?

I thought it was brilliant. I thought the immigrant storyline was good, she does mention immigrants and how the locals dealt with them in her book - don't forget this was based in the 50s, so attitudes were very different then. Also my heart was breaking for Sister MJ when she was crying about the phone call!

Not sure about Chummy, next week is the final episode of the series and I have no idea if they will do a third series :(