IGNORED

Lyndsie

LilMissMetaphor

I never thought it possible that someone could get bootstrappy about makeup and hair.

:lol:

The Internet: An Inconceivable Experience Every Day

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. And it's totally possible to fix hair, do make-up, and make yourself presentable while still having small children. Even multiple children.

And seriously, you can't shower and put on make-up with a seven-month-old? Doesn't your baby ever nap?

I tend to think feeding my kid, playing with my kid, or wrangling my teenagers trumps my makeup and hair. I have an active 3 y/o and haven't had a haircut or mani/pedi in a few months - for shame!

That said, this woman looks overdone and botoxed (and she's in her 20's?).

I tend to think feeding my kid, playing with my kid, or wrangling my teenagers trumps my makeup and hair. I have an active 3 y/o and haven't had a haircut or mani/pedi in a few months - for shame!

Yup Lyndsie is 25.

I agree with whoever mentioned upthread that she looks like a younger Calista Gingrich. She has the same freaky expression in every damn picture.

I have long, thick hair too. If the baby is awake during the time when I want to blowdry it, I just bring him into the bathroom with me, put him in his bouncy seat and talk to him while I'm blowdrying it. Same with make-up and clothes.

And I'm not sure why you allow him to pull your hair, but babies can be taught not to do that. I've had a hair-puller, a biter, and a hitter. But they all quickly learned that inflicting physical harm on others isn't tolerated in this family - not even from seven-month-olds.

Debi Pearl? Is that you?

Yo, Lyndsie is classic FJ snark, newb, back off. :hand:

I totally get it! Lyndsie is actually the reason I found FJ a couple years back. (her and the trainwreck, Emily). The whole fundie lite thing really threw me for a loop... I came out of lurkdom to post the first time last December because I discovered Aubrey had been adopted. Lyndsie is my pet fundie ;)

Really? You think I'm not feeding or playing with my child because I take 10 minutes out of the day to put on make-up and fix my hair. That's ridiculous. But it's certainly not the first time I've heard people imply that if a mother spends time on make-up or hair that she must be neglecting her child. Sigh. Well just because you're not capable of feeding and playing with your child and fixing your hair and putting on make-up doesn't mean other can't.

I happen to believe that just because a woman becomes a mother does not mean she has to stop being a person. I am still a human being with needs and desires of my own. I give a great deal of time and attention to my children. But I also put myself and my needs and desires on the list as well. And I teach my children that everyone in the family matters, even Mommy.

I have long, thick hair too. If the baby is awake during the time when I want to blowdry it, I just bring him into the bathroom with me, put him in his bouncy seat and talk to him while I'm blowdrying it. Same with make-up and clothes.

And I'm not sure why you allow him to pull your hair, but babies can be taught not to do that. I've had a hair-puller, a biter, and a hitter. But they all quickly learned that inflicting physical harm on others isn't tolerated in this family - not even from seven-month-olds.

If only it were so easy ;) my LO has a new fear of anything loud including hairdryers (vacuums, blenders, etc). I am a young mom who looks like a teen regardless of whether I have makeup on or my "hair did," so it's really not worth it. I agree with the above poster that I appreciate wrangling, reading to and playing with my baby than to make him endure a shower and hairdrying session for an hour just- because. It's easier for me to pull back my hair than "train" my infant not to touch it, so I'll stick with that for now. I've cared for many, many children in my years of nannying and being a pediatric nurse, and the hair pulling seems to be a common thread among most babies... I'm not concerned.

I thought something looked off about her but I didn't think botox because she is so young. Now I can totally see it. I am only 3 years younger and can't imagine needing botox in that amount of time! Unless MAYBE she had some cancer treatment that affected her face in a weird way? When I can afford it (which will be many years down the road) I want to get filler on the side of my forehead but that's because I have an atrophied muscle there and it looks a little weird.

I don't get why you are so hung up on the makeup MarciaBrady, it might not be as much of a priority to other people as it is to you. If someone is not done up that doesn't mean they don't care about themselves or don't have a life outside of their kids.

I agree on the botox... I am the same age as her and she looks way older- she is really starting to look very "Tammy Faye."

Debi Pearl? Is that you?

Did you miss the part of my post where I said "inflicting physical harm on others isn't tolerated in this family." The applies to everyone, children, parents, everyone. No one is allow to hit, or in any way harm another person in my house. I have no idea how you got from that statement that I'm advocating beating a baby. But I find your implication sickening.

The Pearls and their methods make me ill. But I'm also disturbed by people who allow their children to physical harm them. What kind of children are you raising if you let them believe it's okay to hit, bite or pull the hair of someone else? Why would anyone allow their children to think it's acceptable to treat another human being that way?

Yo, Lyndsie is classic FJ snark, newb, back off. :hand:

My comment was directed at MarciaBrady. She's getting all bootstrappy about makeup & hair. It's weird, man.

Snark away on this Classic. It's fun to read. :)

If only it were so easy ;) my LO has a new fear of anything loud including hairdryers (vacuums, blenders, etc). I am a young mom who looks like a teen regardless of whether I have makeup on or my "hair did," so it's really not worth it. I agree with the above poster that I appreciate wrangling, reading to and playing with my baby than to make him endure a shower and hairdrying session for an hour just- because. It's easier for me to pull back my hair than "train" my infant not to touch it, so I'll stick with that for now. I've cared for many, many children in my years of nannying and being a pediatric nurse, and the hair pulling seems to be a common thread among most babies... I'm not concerned.

It doesn't take an hour to do those things. And like I said before, it's ridiculous to imply that mothers who spend time on their apperance aren't playing with or spending time with their children. Just because you aren't capable of spending time with your child and fixing your hair doesn't mean others aren't.

And I have no idea what you're implying by putting train in quotes like that.

My comment was directed at MarciaBrady. She's getting all bootstrappy about makeup & hair. It's weird, man.

I've never heard that expression before, so I'm not really sure what you mean.

It doesn't take an hour to do those things. And like I said before, it's ridiculous to imply that mothers who spend time on their apperance aren't playing with or spending time with their children. Just because you aren't capable of spending time with your child and fixing your hair doesn't mean others aren't.

And I have no idea what you're implying by putting train in quotes like that.

Previously I stated my hair takes 45 minutes to dry. You replied by saying your hair is also long and thick (so I understood that yours, too, takes a long time to dry). That would take me an hour minimum, to do a shower, dry my hair and very minimal makeup.

You know what? I am sorry if you are reading into something that my message is not. I tell my son "no," when he pulls hair or pinches, and make it obvious that it hurts. Maybe your baby is a genius, but mine still hasn't put the equation together that him doing these actions is what is hurting me. I am sure he will eventually "get it," but from my past experience I know that it isn't abnormal in the least. Move on.

Edited for a riffle!

You were preaching that if we would just pull up on our lacy bootstraps, we would all have time for styling our makeup & hair. The incredulous "Doesn't your baby nap?" was kind of over the top. It isn't surprising that FJers would interpret your tone to mean that you prize your appearance over playing with your kids. Take your lumps, Marcia.

I thought something looked off about her but I didn't think botox because she is so young. Now I can totally see it. I am only 3 years younger and can't imagine needing botox in that amount of time! Unless MAYBE she had some cancer treatment that affected her face in a weird way? When I can afford it (which will be many years down the road) I want to get filler on the side of my forehead but that's because I have an atrophied muscle there and it looks a little weird.

I don't get why you are so hung up on the makeup MarciaBrady, it might not be as much of a priority to other people as it is to you. If someone is not done up that doesn't mean they don't care about themselves or don't have a life outside of their kids.

I'm not all hung up on make-up. What I'm horrified by is the implication that was made earlier in this thread that mothers who spend time on their appearance are neglecting their children. Every time a Lyndsie thread occurs one of the criticisms that she is too focused on her appearance for a woman with small children.

Go back and look at this thread. All I did was respond to a poster who wondered how Lyndsie has time for make-up and hair with 2 small children, and the responses I got were to be told that they prefer to spend time on feeding their children and playing with their children. It was actually implied that women who spend time on their apperance are not feeding or playing with their children.

So, no, I'm not the one who is all hung up on this issue.

Really? You think I'm not feeding or playing with my child because I take 10 minutes out of the day to put on make-up and fix my hair. That's ridiculous. But it's certainly not the first time I've heard people imply that if a mother spends time on make-up or hair that she must be neglecting her child. Sigh. Well just because you're not capable of feeding and playing with your child and fixing your hair and putting on make-up doesn't mean other can't.

I'm quite capable of taking 10 mins, thank you very much - but sometimes when you have other things to do, botoxing and getting regular mani/pedis isn't practical.

You were preaching that if we would just pull up on our lacy bootstraps, we would all have time for styling our makeup & hair. The incredulous "Doesn't your baby nap?" was kind of over the top. It isn't surprising that FJers would interpret your tone to mean that you prize your appearance over playing with your kids. Take your lumps, Marcia.

No, I wasn't preaching that. What I said was that it's possible to have small children and spend time on things like that. Then other posters tried to explain to me why that wasn't possible, and I pointed out how it was.

And I don't back down to judgmental harpies who imply that mothers who put on make-up and fix their hair. So all I have to say in response to your "take your lumps" commment is: Fuck you.

Previously I stated my hair takes 45 minutes to dry. You replied by saying your hair is also long and thick (so I understood that yours, too, takes a long time to dry). That would take me an hour minimum, to do a shower, dry my hair and very minimal makeup.

You know what? I am sorry if you are reading into something that my message is not. I tell my son "no," when he pulls hair or pinches, and make it obvious that it hurts. Maybe your baby is a genius, but mine still hasn't put the equation together that him doing these actions is what is hurting me. I am sure he will eventually "get it," but from my past experience I know that it isn't abnormal in the least. Move on.

Edited for a riffle!

Yes. I have very long hair too. A shower, blow dry, dressing & light makeup (I'm not big on makeup; I just do mascara & a tinted gloss when I can.) takes at least an hour. My daughter never had that kind of endurance (and the blow dryer made her cry) for the first couple years. And I always napped when she did until she was a solid night sleeper until around 15-18 months. So I'm a makeup-less ponytail mom most of the time.

I'm quite capable of taking 10 mins, thank you very much - but sometimes when you have other things to do, botoxing and getting regular mani/pedis isn't practical.

And that's great to focus on other things. What's not great is to imply that mothers who put on make-up are neglecting their children. And putting on a little make-up every day is a far cry from botoxing or going to a spa for a mani-pedi.

Oh. I thought you were telling us not to criticize La Lazy's paint job. Wow, this thread is getting confusing. I have a two-year-old who naps once a day and damned if I'm going to waste that time putting on makeup when I could be doing laundry or eating a meal uninterrupted or shopping without chasing him around or sitting my ass down in front of FJ. DAMNED.

Really? You think I'm not feeding or playing with my child because I take 10 minutes out of the day to put on make-up and fix my hair. That's ridiculous.

Really? You think that it takes every single woman in the world only 10 minutes a day to put on make-up and fix her hair? That's ridiculous.

The fastest I can get my hair and make-up done in is 20 minutes. My hair takes 15 minutes alone, and I have a pretty low maintenance routine. Add washing your face and brushing your teeth first, and sometimes the extras get sacrificed. Each woman is different, and has different priorities. Deal with it.

Archived