IGNORED

Lyndsie

LilMissMetaphor

Oh. I thought you were telling us not to criticize La Lazy's paint job. Wow, this thread is getting confusing. I have a two-year-old who naps once a day and damned if I'm going to waste that time putting on makeup when I could be doing laundry or eating a meal uninterrupted or shopping without chasing him around or sitting my ass down in front of FJ. DAMNED.

Completely agree. The previous poster makes it seem like those who don't do hair/makeup everyday do not care about themselves after they become a mommy. I take time (rarely, when I do get it!) to sit, nap or do some FJ surfing... That is MY "me time."

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that's great to focus on other things. What's not great is to imply that mothers who put on make-up are neglecting their children. And putting on a little make-up every day is a far cry from botoxing or going to a spa for a mani-pedi.

You should probably just....get over it?

I have two toddlers (almost 3 and 14 months). One with special needs. I shower, work out and put on makeup daily.

But guess what, I don't care what anyone else does, or what anyone else thinks/says about my priorities.

Mommy wars. So over it.

Someone seems to be taking the snark about Lyndsie and her makeup a little too personally...

At your suggestion, Marcia, I went back and looked at this thread. Let's review, shall we?

FJers wonder where Lindsey finds the time for her hair and makeup routine, comparing it to their own experiences. No implications of any kind that Lindsey or any mother that wears makeup values her appearance over her children.

I just want to know where the hell she finds time to put that much makeup on. I have a two-year-old and a four week old, and I was congratulating myself that I had a chance to shower today. Makeup is a distant memory.

I was thinking the same thing, Sableduck. I'm glad for her if things are going smoothly enough to look so perfect (well, I GUESS I'm glad ... it's hard not to wish a bad sleeper on her at least).

You very reasonably offer the opposite perspective, presumably based on your own experience.

As for the make-up thing, her babies are not newborns. They're almost 2 and 6 months old. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't see anything odd about a mother of children that age being able to put on make-up and fix her hair.

Another FJer gives her own experience of how difficult it can be to prioritize hair & makeup with little ones around and is also impressed by Lindsey being able to do so. Still no judgment of Makeup Moms so far.

Do you have children? It was much easier to be showered with makeup and hair done with a newborn (0-3 months) than when they get a little older. I am lucky to put my hair in a pony-tail and some mascara on with my 7 month old. I can't imagine with a baby that age AND a two year old- they are all over the place, and into everything (and sometimes won't nap!).

I am impressed that she can get all of that makeup on, personally.

And enter Mommy War Judgment stage left. *Pssss, Marcia, that's your cue!* Here's the implication that mothers who find it difficult to find time to do hair and make up are not presentable. That is then immediately followed with the "WTF is wrong with you and your baby that you can't do this oh-so-simple thing?" attempt at salting the wound.

Yes. And it's totally possible to fix hair, do make-up, and make yourself presentable while still having small children. Even multiple children.

And seriously, you can't shower and put on make-up with a seven-month-old? Doesn't your baby ever nap?

An FJer very graciously deflects your implications that she must be incompetent & unpresentable.

He naps... Rarely, and when he does it is very, very short. I do shower- around midnight when my husband gets home from work. And in my home "doing my hair" is a ponytail, like I said... I have a seven month old who likes to pull my hair out my the handful if I leave it down. That, and it is so thick it takes 45 minutes to dry.

Anyway, I guess the point is some babies are more high maintenance than others! Sad to say my little guy is high maintenance (though he is getting better as he is older). He still wakes every two hours during the night neaving a very, very tired mama!

Here is where you explain how you handle your routine. This would have been perfectly acceptable. But then you just had to include your next Statement of Parental Superiority, wondering why a mother would "allow" her baby to pull her hair. Nevermind the fact, of course, that this type of exploring is developmentally normal for babies and it is also developmentally normal for it to take a long time for babies to understand the consequences of their actions and even longer to learn the impulse control to not take an action even when they do understand the consequences.

I have long, thick hair too. If the baby is awake during the time when I want to blowdry it, I just bring him into the bathroom with me, put him in his bouncy seat and talk to him while I'm blowdrying it. Same with make-up and clothes.

And I'm not sure why you allow him to pull your hair, but babies can be taught not to do that. I've had a hair-puller, a biter, and a hitter. But they all quickly learned that inflicting physical harm on others isn't tolerated in this family - not even from seven-month-olds.

Here is where I chime in because you sound so ridiculous.

I never thought it possible that someone could get bootstrappy about makeup and hair.

:lol:

The Internet: An Inconceivable Experience Every Day

Another FJer responds to your Better-Mom-Than-Thou bullshit and snarkily introduces FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME the idea that Makeup Mommies value their appearance over their children.

I tend to think feeding my kid, playing with my kid, or wrangling my teenagers trumps my makeup and hair. I have an active 3 y/o and haven't had a haircut or mani/pedi in a few months - for shame!

You clutch your pearls. Unnecessarily so, because it might not be the first time you have heard that Makeup Mommies Neglect Their Kids, but it is the first time you have heard it in this thread. And it was mentioned only in response to your judgmental attitude. In the words of Will Smith, "Girl, you brought this on yourself."

Really? You think I'm not feeding or playing with my child because I take 10 minutes out of the day to put on make-up and fix my hair. That's ridiculous. But it's certainly not the first time I've heard people imply that if a mother spends time on make-up or hair that she must be neglecting her child. Sigh. Well just because you're not capable of feeding and playing with your child and fixing your hair and putting on make-up doesn't mean other can't.

I happen to believe that just because a woman becomes a mother does not mean she has to stop being a person. I am still a human being with needs and desires of my own. I give a great deal of time and attention to my children. But I also put myself and my needs and desires on the list as well. And I teach my children that everyone in the family matters, even Mommy.

Once again, an FJer responds very graciously to your rudeness. She also makes it clear that she understands what is developmentally appropriate for a baby, knowing a baby can't be taught to understand cause & effect and to practice impulse control. (At least not without painful correction a la The Pearls.) This poster also indicates that she understands that it is developmentally normal for many babies not to have the patience to sit through a long personal hygiene routine for mom, so prioritizing makeup and hair styling is just not as important to her in this phase of her life.

If only it were so easy ;) my LO has a new fear of anything loud including hairdryers (vacuums, blenders, etc). I am a young mom who looks like a teen regardless of whether I have makeup on or my "hair did," so it's really not worth it. I agree with the above poster that I appreciate wrangling, reading to and playing with my baby than to make him endure a shower and hairdrying session for an hour just- because. It's easier for me to pull back my hair than "train" my infant not to touch it, so I'll stick with that for now. I've cared for many, many children in my years of nannying and being a pediatric nurse, and the hair pulling seems to be a common thread among most babies... I'm not concerned.

Another FJer is more direct in addressing your idea that mothers who don't prioritize makeup & hair are not presentable. But she's still polite.

I don't get why you are so hung up on the makeup MarciaBrady, it might not be as much of a priority to other people as it is to you. If someone is not done up that doesn't mean they don't care about themselves or don't have a life outside of their kids.

And here is where you go off the rails with your Statement of Parental Superiority. Apparently we are all raising little monsters because we "allow" them to behave in ways that are developmentally normal. Once again, you sound very Pearl-ish. You do know that just because children do these socially-unacceptable-but-age-appropriate things doesn't mean that they aren't being taught and shown (over and over again) what is the loving way to treat people, right? You do know it takes time and patience, right?

But I'm also disturbed by people who allow their children to physical harm them. What kind of children are you raising if you let them believe it's okay to hit, bite or pull the hair of someone else? Why would anyone allow their children to think it's acceptable to treat another human being that way?

I pipe in again, clarifying the meaning of my earlier post.

My comment was directed at MarciaBrady. She's getting all bootstrappy about makeup & hair. It's weird, man.

Here is where you tell other moms how long it takes them to do their hair and makeup and get themselves "presentable". You seemingly know how to live their lives better than they do. You bring up again how ridiculous the Makeup Mommies Neglect Their Kids meme is, not acknowledging that all this Mommy War Judgment was instigated by you. The word "train" was put in quotes because, as I previously stated, you are coming across like a Pearlite. Obviously, more than one person thinks so.

It doesn't take an hour to do those things. And like I said before, it's ridiculous to imply that mothers who spend time on their apperance aren't playing with or spending time with their children. Just because you aren't capable of spending time with your child and fixing your hair doesn't mean others aren't.

And I have no idea what you're implying by putting train in quotes like that.

Another gracious response.

]Previously I stated my hair takes 45 minutes to dry. You replied by saying your hair is also long and thick (so I understood that yours, too, takes a long time to dry). That would take me an hour minimum, to do a shower, dry my hair and very minimal makeup.

You know what? I am sorry if you are reading into something that my message is not. I tell my son "no," when he pulls hair or pinches, and make it obvious that it hurts. Maybe your baby is a genius, but mine still hasn't put the equation together that him doing these actions is what is hurting me. I am sure he will eventually "get it," but from my past experience I know that it isn't abnormal in the least. Move on.

My own interpretation of this aspect of the thread. Further explained with this very post.

You were preaching that if we would just pull up on our lacy bootstraps, we would all have time for styling our makeup & hair. The incredulous "Doesn't your baby nap?" was kind of over the top. It isn't surprising that FJers would interpret your tone to mean that you prize your appearance over playing with your kids. Take your lumps, Marcia.

And here is your request for this thread review.

I'm not all hung up on make-up. What I'm horrified by is the implication that was made earlier in this thread that mothers who spend time on their appearance are neglecting their children. Every time a Lyndsie thread occurs one of the criticisms that she is too focused on her appearance for a woman with small children.

Go back and look at this thread. All I did was respond to a poster who wondered how Lyndsie has time for make-up and hair with 2 small children, and the responses I got were to be told that they prefer to spend time on feeding their children and playing with their children. It was actually implied that women who spend time on their apperance are not feeding or playing with their children.

So, no, I'm not the one who is all hung up on this issue.

I am certain there have been more posts since, but I'm stopping here. My daughter is having trouble sleeping.

New(ish) pics on FB. I see she still has time to spackle on the makeup. And holy shit get that boy some oil blotting sheets, stat. Why do they have to beam like deranged chipmunks into every innocent camera lens that happens along?

I've got nothing for this one...anyone inspired?

m59br.jpg

Oompa loompa doopidy doo...

The boy looks like a Cabbage Patch doll. There's a good pic of the baby girl on Lyndsie's (spelling?) FB page. The 2 babies are in a stroller, the boy's asleep and the girl is wide awake and smiling.

She looks eternally perky. Ugh.

• 1 month later...

Those girls could look so beautiful if they used less make up and let their natural beauty come through.

O.M.G.

Great find, LMM. Wow. I just don't even know what to say about this just yet. But wait, I'll be back.

ETA: Kendyl's lipstick is such a bad shade on her. At least Lazy finally learned how to tone hers down to a more natural shade.

Kendyl's lipstick and smile remind me of the Boogieman in the old Ghostbusters cartoon, only with better teeth.

Cometh05.jpg

Kendyl's lipstick and smile remind me of the Boogieman in the old Ghostbusters cartoon, only with better teeth.

Cometh05.jpg

And missing the head tilt here. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a photo of Kendyl without her head tilted. Maybe it's permanent.

Both sisters are wearing southern style make-up in the very WORST sense of the culture.

Based upon my very southern and proper sister who cannot exit her bedroom without having perfect face and hair (though she knows to make hers natural but I suspect she spends way more on hers than both sisters given she is a highly successful businesswoman), I would guess that Lyndsie's make-up and hair take her well OVER an hour every day. That's not counting shower time, since everyone's showertime is individual.

Now, a good Southern woman who is truly committed to never letting anyone see her au naturale will actually rise *before* her husband to accomplish this. Delta Burke is not the only Southern lady to brag that her husband has never seen her without her make-up on. Likely Lyndsie's husband hasn't either. It's entirely possible she is not taking time away from her babies for this but time away from her own sleep needs.

Despite being born and raised in the Southern US, I do not understand the purpose of the Southern make-up phenomenon. I understand it even less when it involves make-up so bright and obnoxious as these sisters. However, that would explain why I was a pariah much of my school years since I was just as likely to be without make-up than having even a speck on. It took until my youngest was over two before I mastered the idea of putting *any* make-up on, unless I had appointments with doctors who don't see me as professional without it.

Southern make-up traditions are snark-worthy all on their own. But yes, these sisters are a fine specimen of it at it's most Mary Kay. There is no way Lynsie is taking less than an hour to look "presentable" for her day. I just suspect she would sooner forfiet her sleep than risk anyone seeing her any other way.

In that recent pic, I think Lyndise looks kind of pretty. She is prettier than Kendyl. How old is Kendyl? I think she is younger than Lyndsie who is 25. Both of them look like they are 30 somethings in that pic.

So a Southern woman that is truly committed to never let anybody see her without makeup - not even her husband- does also sleep with make-up?

Now, a good Southern woman who is truly committed to never letting anyone see her au naturale will actually rise *before* her husband to accomplish this. Delta Burke is not the only Southern lady to brag that her husband has never seen her without her make-up on. Likely Lyndsie's husband hasn't either. It's entirely possible she is not taking time away from her babies for this but time away from her own sleep needs.

When my mom was in labor with me, my grandmother (her mother-in-law) wouldn't take her to the hospital until my grandmother finished putting on her make-up.

Despite being born and raised in the Southern US, I do not understand the purpose of the Southern make-up phenomenon.

I don't get it either.

Despite being born and raised in the Southern US, I do not understand the purpose of the Southern make-up phenomenon.

I don't get it either.

Oompa loompa doopidy doo...

The boy looks like a Cabbage Patch doll. There's a good pic of the baby girl on Lyndsie's (spelling?) FB page. The 2 babies are in a stroller, the boy's asleep and the girl is wide awake and smiling.

She looks eternally perky. Ugh.

I'd be willing to bet a tube of Mary Kay lipstick that little Ellyn is already in pagents. She's standing up front with "pretty feet" that look very pagent-posed.

I'd be willing to bet a tube of Mary Kay lipstick that little Ellyn is already in pagents. She's standing up front with "pretty feet" that look very pagent-posed.

Yup Ellyn is probably on the pageant circuit. In a few years, little Aubrey Faye will start her pageant career.

I'd be shocked if her husband wasn't part of the Family, so to speak. I don't know anything about Lyndsie but as soon as I clicked I immediately thought "Facebook picture with her gay friend."

That baby looks like they tried to gift wrap it and gave up.

Archived